Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's wrong with these brakes?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

On my commuter bike (V-brakes), the rear brake has been giving me loads of grief.
    Basically when i squeeze the brake lever it works, however it doesn't spring back. So basically the brakes just remain in the closed position.
    I changed to a new brake cable (so it's got new cable housing) and the problem remains.
    Something about a spring i suppose, maybe at the base of one of the cantilevers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

If you unscrew the brakes they can slide off. Then there is usuall a spring coiled at the bottom. This usually heads off straight upwards and locks behind another pin at the top of the lever. This can be taken out from behind the pin so it is loose. Now at the bottom you should see there the other end of the spring goes. Usually there are about 3 holes it can go into at the bottom near where it pivots when screwed in. You have to place it into another one of these holes to tension it up more. Once in place you can place the longer end back into its original position and screw it back on. There are usually little adjusters that push the spring near the pivot point, these are for more accurate adjusting after the main adjusting is done. Usually these are all you need to alter but it sounds like yours has very little tension at all.

AFter any adjustments give the brakes a good squeeze 10-20 times so they "find" themselves. Then readjust accordingly

Advertisement