Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just about to Buy Parts!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Your list isn't set to public viewing methinks. Change the setting in your account, 'k? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Hardcore! :D
    Yeah, PSU's gonna be alright, Hexus themselves used a Tagan 420 for their own testing; so you're in the clear.
    Dunno if a 965 board might be better; you can always look up a few reviews/buyer's guides.
    And ehh, it's only a bit extra for the OCZ Platinum; unless reviews mark it inferior, might as well spend a few bob more, no? ;)

Oh, and personally, I don't use an anti-static wrist strap -- install PSU into case, turn the PSU power off (wall socket too), leave it plugged in, ground yourself on the (now-grounded) case while you're working by touching it.

I might just go for the platinum memory ;)

I think I'll stick with my motherboard though. The only diffence (as far as I've read) between p965 andp975 chipset is the overclocking capabilities? I don't plan on overclocking anyway (well..for now. Never done it before)

I'm probably being paranoid by getting the wrist strap but I'd honestly probably stab/bludgeon myself to death with whatever component I'd broken from static electricity if I did manage to break anything :p

You're buying all that loveliness & aren't overclocking?
    For shame! :p
    Anyway, have fun with the build.

Oh yes, before I forget -- you'll want this thermal compound.

• Advertisement

I had to make do with the one I have on my list. The one you gave isn't in stock. Will it make much of a difference?

Well, a silver-based thermal compound is just that wee (wii?) bit better for use than ceramic ones -- a couple of degrees.
    I suppose you can do with the one that'll come stock on the heatsink, yeah.

MY GOD...this is a nice computer :)

The only thing that's keeping it from being perfect is a high pitched fan noise which I can't pinpoint.

I went with the Gigabyte case in the end (tis lovely) and neither the rear or front case fans are noisy at all. Same goes for the CPU fan and the 8800gtx fan.

There's no fans on the motherboard, no cd in the DVD drive (so it's not that spinning) and my hard drives are Seagate's.

I have no idea what's making this noise :( Any one think of what it is?

When I shut the computer down I can see all the fans stopping but I still here the high pitched noise slowing down for a moment or two after all the other fans have stopped.
    Maybe I'm going insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Sounds like the PSU, their fans usually run a bit to expell some more air after powering off.

Is 480W enough for that beast of a PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

maby the hard drivers or the psu have a look

• Advertisement

Toolbag wrote:
    Sounds like the PSU, their fans usually run a bit to expell some more air after powering off.

Is 480W enough for that beast of a PC?

Defo not the psu either. The PSU is actually very quiet (I used it for my last computer which only had 2 fans in the entire system so I'm sure :P). And yes, this beast of a tagan PSU is able to handle this beast of a computer :)

I don't think it's the hard drives either as the Seagate Barracudas have gotten rave reviews on their quietness and I can't hear anything from them when I put my ear right up against them.

The fact that the high pitched sound fades out last must be a clue to what it is. :(

OK. I disconnected the power supply from the hard drives and it turns out the the noise was coming from them.

Who ever said these seagate hard drives were quiet needs to go to and audiologist.

Advertisement