Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st gear

Options
  • 21-11-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi All

My friend has bought a 1999 Hyundai Coupe with 60k miles.

Car is fine apart from sometimes it can be difficult to get into 1st gear (while stationary)

Then other times it goes into 1st without any problems

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Firstly, to state the obvious - is the clutch fully to the floor? Is there a floor mat fouling the clutch pedal travel?

Otherwise it could be either a clutch problem or a gearbox problem. If the car is still within the warranty then get it back to the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

yup clutch is depressed fully

it was a private sale so no warranty but the previous owner had a new clutch installed before he sold it

Hmmm - a new clutch, maybe it was fitted in an effort to eliminate the first gear selection problem which means the problem is in the gearbox. But thats only speculation. Maybe the newly installed clutch is out of adjustment, but I'm not sure if the Hyundai Coupe clutch is hydraulic or cable. If it's hydraulic then adjustment is probably not possible.

First gear is usually the most difficult to select and sometimes it can make it easier if the engine is at idle and the car stopped. It might be an idea to get it looked at just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I posted yesterday about similar problems: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055018372
    Although to an extent 2nd and 3rd are kinda affected too with me. What's it like when trying to go into 1st? It feels like there's some sort of wobbly stuff slightly in the way when pushing up on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Worn synchro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

well for me at the start when I got mine, some of the gears seems hard to go in..
    After a short bit of driving, it soon became easier..
    All and all.. only 2nd gear still seem hard to go into sometimes..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thats a bitch, sounds like a worn synchro to me, is there a crunching sounds when you put the car into first.

Alternative it could be the gear linkage, its a common problem on the Corsa.

Easy to fix the gear linkage, expensive to replace the synchro.

I have a similiar problem with my reverse gear, however I have found a nack to getting it into reverse, i just jab the brakes a bit harder than normal it works. But thats for reverse.

I know a lad who recently bought a 1999 Coupe I wonder if its the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Hmmm - a new clutch, maybe it was fitted in an effort to eliminate the first gear selection problem which means the problem is in the gearbox. But thats only speculation. Maybe the newly installed clutch is out of adjustment, but I'm not sure if the Hyundai Coupe clutch is hydraulic or cable. If it's hydraulic then adjustment is probably not possible.

When she first drove the car it was slipping badly in third and definately needed doing.The cluctch is of the pull variety (if that makes any difference) acording to a mechanic i know.
    First gear is usually the most difficult to select and sometimes it can make it easier if the engine is at idle and the car stopped. It might be an idea to get it looked at just to be sure.
    It is alot more difficult allright if the car is moving to get it into first gear but i thought this was some kanda safety feature on the gearbox
    I posted yesterday about similar problems: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055018372
    Although to an extent 2nd and 3rd are kinda affected too with me. What's it like when trying to go into 1st? It feels like there's some sort of wobbly stuff slightly in the way when pushing up on mine.

I went myself for a test drive today. Say out of 20 times putting it into 1st gear only once or twice it was difficult to do so.The rest of the times it goes in really smoothly which seems abit confusing.

It feels like an object is in the way of getting it in is the only way i can describe it but after a couple of times of trying it went in easly again
    Thats a bitch, sounds like a worn synchro to me, is there a crunching sounds when you put the car into first.

no sound at all and the rest of the gears are perfect. Its more of an annoyance than anything especially if you do alot of city driving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Sounds like the same kind of problem I'm having then. It seems it's not as bad after it's warmed up though. Out of about 40 minutes driving (into town and back), it happened about twice, and both were soon after starting up.

In case you didn't read my thread people suggested getting the gearbox oil changed, however mine's a Fiesta (67k miles) and it has a hydraulic clutch.

Check the service schedule to see if a gearbox oil change is recommended. It could be some maladjustment or problem with the shift mechanism. On most cars you should only have to guide the shift lever into gear - not struggle with it in any way. It could very well be the beginning of a worn syncromesh - if it is it will progressively get worse. Additionally, the car is 'new' to your friend - maybe she will get used to it in time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

until the car warms up, tell your friend to slip it in to 2nd and come a bit easier off the clutch and up the revs slightly, you will not be beating anybody off the lights with this method but it works and does no harm.

when the car is warmed up and it's slips into first no problems then go to a dealer and explain the problem.

I had similar issues with a rover/honda 620, was a bugger to get into 1st/reverse until I got used to it, hydraulic clutch n all.

Advertisement