Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Anyone else having problems with Digiweb atm?,

My connection speed is down from 3mbs to a stupid 56kbps :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i have their 3mbps metro product and the speed is currently below 1mbps. the voip i am using is very poor due i am told to heavy packet loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

dont they reduce it dramatically if you go over download limit?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yep. Think the link is mytraffic.digiweb.ie to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

dont they reduce it dramatically if you go over download limit?

Yes but from 3mbs to a totally unusable 6 or 7 kbps????

Which it is half the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

digiweb have gone to pot, it's IBB all over again. Seems the only way you get a decent connection is going with eircom or bt **shudders at the thought**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Adey2002 wrote:
    digiweb have gone to pot, it's IBB all over again. Seems the only way you get a decent connection is going with eircom or bt **shudders at the thought**
    rubbish, Digiweb DSL is fine, I've never had any non-Eircom related outages with them in over 3 years.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

We're on the 3Meg Metro pack in LIM.

Service hasn't been as good as usual lately. Most notably last weekend but it could have been the piss poor weather we had.

But they were nice enough to wipe the monthly traffic details when the system was upgraded :)

Flying along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not shared to 80 other bedsits in your UL convientient apartment block, kaimera? I've seen that at Rhebogue.

Mine was OK at weekend, but I'm west of Raheen so on a different sector aerial.

Heh, no watty. :)

Not shared, we be very protective of our bandwidth. Oh, and we're not in student apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Adey2002 wrote:

Thats a very easy comment to make. Which service are you referring to? What are your experiences?
    I'm using Digiweb since June and have had no problems (wireless).

• Advertisement

kc66 wrote:
    Thats a very easy comment to make. Which service are you referring to? What are your experiences?
    I'm using Digiweb since June and have had no problems (wireless).

I have their Metro wireless 3Mb. The only time I can get a decent connection is in the small hours of the morning, unfortunately sleep gets in the way of my surfing at the times that it's actually useable. All other times, my download is usually less than 1Mb (using their test) and my pings bounce all over the place. It's been getting progressively worse since they came out 2 months ago to fix the previous similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I've been on metro 3mb since last January with little or no issues. Speed has been constant for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Got Digiweb Metro 3Mbit installed 10 days ago.

Its shared with 3 others through a router and weve already used 15GB of the 30GB CAP.

When we hit 30GB Im sure were going to get chopped to 56K speeds :mad: :eek: :mad:

Anyone know if Digiweb will increase the CAP for an extra €20 a month?

juliuspret wrote:
    Got Digiweb Metro 3Mbit installed 10 days ago.

Its shared with 3 others through a router and weve already used 15GB of the 30GB CAP.

When we hit 30GB Im sure were going to get chopped to 56K speeds :mad: :eek: :mad:

It's people like you that cause problems for the rest of us. Theres light at the end of the tunnel though, carry on like that and in another ten days you'll get cut down to 56k modem speed for 30 days.

You agreed a contract for 30Gb a month, I have no sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Adey2002 wrote:
    It's people like you that cause problems for the rest of us
    This is just insanity. How is it *bad* for "the rest of us" if someone decides to use their download cap. It's that kind of mentality that makes BB providers think that low caps are fine.

EDIT: Just for the record, i seem to be down to ~150kB/sec as opposed to the usual 350kB/sec. I'll give em a shout and see what the story is. Pings are >100ms to jolt aswell.

Also, was there a cap reset recently, or have the changed their policy from a rolling 4 weeks to resetting every month?

juliuspret wrote:

I'm sure i remember seeing an option on there sign up forum for an extra 10 gig for €5 but it looks like its not there anymore just the option for the unlimited local & national calls(including Northern Ireland) for €15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

voip is virtually unusable this past week on digiweb, hopefully it is a coincidence that digiweb finally have a decent phone package of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Stokolan, That pay a fiver get 10gigs more was only an upgrade for metro light customers afaik.

sixtysix wrote:
    voip is virtually unusable this past week on digiweb, hopefully it is a coincidence that digiweb finally have a decent phone package of their own.
    3rd party VOIP is VERY unpredictable on any network.

It is no coincidence that in a US survey Comcast & TimeWarner came top and 3rd party VOIP only vendors came bottom.

Why?
    Because Comcast & TimeWarner use DOCSIS which keeps separate bandwidth for VOIP (QOS) and the SIP/ATA is often integrated into the cable modem and configured ONLY by the ISP. Also the VOIP only has to go on their own private network to the Voice Gateway. Additional bandwidth is dynamically added for Modem or Fax.

With a 3rd party VOIP there can be no allocation of bandwidth exclusively (QOS) also jitter, packet loss and latency (pings) may be high as the traffic crosses many public networks.

AFAIK only Digiweb Metro & NTL cable in Ireland are using VOIP on DOCSIS. Magnet & Smart should be also doiing good quality VOIP, but ONLY on their own fibre or LLUed customers, Smart 076 on non-Smart broadband will suffer from same problems as Vonage or Blueface.

Skype works differently, but still can't acheive the consistantcy of DOCSIS based private network VOIP.

This is just insanity. How is it *bad* for "the rest of us" if someone decides to use their download cap. It's that kind of mentality that makes BB providers think that low caps are fine.

Also, was there a cap reset recently, or have the changed their policy from a rolling 4 weeks to resetting every month?

Bad cos in a 1/3 of the month, they've used 1/2 the allowed usage.

I think the usage reset 2 weeks ago when they upgraded the server. Very nice of them tho :)

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    Bad cos in a 1/3 of the month, they've used 1/2 the allowed usage.
    Right, following that logic i demand that you never download at more than 12kB a second. Otherwise you'll be impinging on my download allowance for that second. If you kept up 12kB/sec for a whole month, you'd reach your allowance within the last hour or so, so i think my demand is perfectly fair.

If digiweb don't have the capacity to allow people use their cap as they wish, then digiweb need to upgrade their capacity. If i have a 30GB download allowance, i should be able to blow it within a week if i want. And you have no right to say whether i can or can't do that.

Use it in a damn week, but dont bloody cry when you throttled for 30 days.

The transfer "Cap" (Upload + download with many ISPs) is a coarse method to enforce fair use when some people are greedy. It isn't a target to be used up every month. If even 2 or 3 people sharing use more than 15G that would be exceptional. Using 30G every month is insane for one person. They need to either stop pirating or get out more.

Even uncapped services have a "fair use" clause in T&C. Which means there is a cap but you don't know what it is.

The cap was reset recently due to a server upgrade I think.

I might use less than 10G some months but if I'm downloading an ISO for my work I don't want it going slow because every other person on my sector is running Torrants 24 x 7.

Even magnet who have "no contention", actually really do have contention. Their backhaul network assumes a Typical /Fair use, not that everyone is running 24x 7 downloads. No ISP can support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Right, following that logic i demand that you never download at more than 12kB a second. Otherwise you'll be impinging on my download allowance for that second. If you kept up 12kB/sec for a whole month, you'd reach your allowance within the last hour or so, so i think my demand is perfectly fair.

If digiweb don't have the capacity to allow people use their cap as they wish, then digiweb need to upgrade their capacity. If i have a 30GB download allowance, i should be able to blow it within a week if i want. And you have no right to say whether i can or can't do that.

no one is saying you cant blow your cap in a week, do it in a day if you want:confused:

watty wrote:
    The transfer "Cap" (Upload + download with many ISPs) is a coarse method to enforce fair use when some people are greedy. It isn't a target to be used up every month. If even 2 or 3 people sharing use more than 15G that would be exceptional. Using 30G every month is insane for one person. They need to either stop pirating or get out more.

Not trying to start an argument here. But I do think its time caps are gone TBH. With the likes of Microsoft now offering Movies and TV shows over live, Sky by broadband etc. Its time our ISP's gave a bit more then 30 gig.

On live a HD TV program is 2gig and movies up to 9gig I think. sky is not so bad Films are around the 1 gig mark i think (been a while since i used this). Granted the Live is not available here but services like this will start popping up now that Microsoft have started the ball rolling. So that 30 gig a month wont be piracy for some!

Now I'm able to cope with my rolling cap but its getting to the stage where they either need to up it or need to do the reset them at the end of month

watty wrote:
    The transfer "Cap" (Upload + download with many ISPs) is a coarse method to enforce fair use when some people are greedy. It isn't a target to be used up every month.
    I agree 100%.
    If even 2 or 3 people sharing use more than 15G that would be exceptional. Using 30G every month is insane for one person. They need to either stop pirating or get out more.
    I disagree. What do you consider "normal" usage? Browsing a few websites, downloading the odd 300kB email? There are plenty of legal services out there that use bandwidth. Plenty.
    I might use less than 10G some months but if I'm downloading an ISO for my work I don't want it going slow because every other person on my sector is running Torrants 24 x 7.
    Well, if they do they'll be throttled to 15kB/sec once they reach their 30GB cap. And until they reach that cap, whether they're torrenting or browsing websites or downloading 300kB emails, they're using the service they paid for as theyre entitled to.
    Even magnet who have "no contention", actually really do have contention. Their backhaul network assumes a Typical /Fair use, not that everyone is running 24x 7 downloads. No ISP can support that.
    I agree with ya there. Fair use is perfectly fine and should definately be used to cut off people who do abuse the system.

Now, the reason i said what i did in my last post is because of this:
    Adey2002 wrote:
    It's people like you that cause problems for the rest of us. Theres light at the end of the tunnel though, carry on like that and in another ten days you'll get cut down to 56k modem speed for 30 days.

You agreed a contract for 30Gb a month, I have no sympathy.
    He seems to be of the opinion that if person X uses 50% of their allocation in 33% of a month they're ruining everyone's service. Thats a load of £IU^$@*. I paid to use up to 30GB and so long as i don't go over that, it's noone else's concern whether i download at a steady 12kB/sec 24x7 for the entire month or if i just download at full whack for 2-3 days.

If Digiweb's network can't cope with people using their download allowance as they've paid to do, then digiweb is the one with the problem, not the customers.

Thats why i was bitching at adey :p

EDIT: I watched a 400meg webcast earlier. It was very interesting.

OK I think we are broadly in agreement, it's just opinion on the fine details we differ.

I can't comment on Digiweb's backhaul or Wireless sector capacity, other than that I have heard that if it becomes clear that an area is congested they upgrade. I imagine that there is differences between DSL, plain wireless and Metro and in different sectors and areas.

With sufficent users and the rolling cap, indeed it makes no difference if a user spreads over 30 days or 5 days. Probably why it is a rolling cap and not a calendar month cap, which would create a problem at the begining of each month if everyone wanted to use up 30GByte as fast as possible.

With a rolling cap then anyone can use up their Cap and on average it won't affect anyone else.

Advertisement