Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes

Options
  • 21-11-2006 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.
    When I was in hospital recently, they wanted to test for diabetes, of course, me being me, my veins are too bad so they could'nt take bloods (after trying despite my telling them they wouldnt be able to :rolleyes:).
    Is there any other way they can do the initial diagnostic test, or is it blood only?

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Urine will do for blood suger levels and ketones.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

In the olden days the doc would drink your urine to test for sweetness. That's why the Diabetes Fed. sell Sweetpea as a fundraiser :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

AFAIK they can test your urine but it is only an indication and isn't conclusive. A blood test is the only definitive way.

When i was diagnosed, my urine showed no ketones and only a very slight amount of sugar. However when my bloods were checked it was obvious i had diabetes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yes, a blood test is the only way to test insulin levels. Often done alongside blood glucose level (useful for diagnosing between insulinoma, tumour of pancreas, and hypoglycemia)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

They can do a finger prick test for glucose - however a thorough test for diabetes involves testing for C-peptide (to ascertain how much of the pancreas is functioning) and antibody tests to find out what type of diabetes you have as well as checking for baseline bloods to see for organ damage.

You should also do a glucose tolerance test where 4 samples are needed minimum.

You also need to check urine for protein, a marker that diabetes has damaged to kidney as well as checking eyes, blood pressure, peripheral pulses and peripheral nerves.

There's a lot to diabetes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement