Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 21-11-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I recently changed jobs. In my previous job the company paid for health insurance. They provided VHI Plan B Excess plus Dental.

My new job didn’t provide it so I looked into continuing on with the same level of cover. Vivas seemed the best option so I started last week on “I Plan Level 2” and “Day to Day 50”. This works out at about €57 a month.

I was telling a mate and he said that I was mad. He said ur PAYE will pay back 42% of non routine medical expenses, like physio etc and PRSI covers two free dental check ups and one free eye test so there is no need for the Day to Day 50 plan.

He also said the likes of VHI and Vivas love to see people in their mid twenties on their books, people who pay full whack for a health insurance they will more than likely never utilise in the early years of their life.

Is he right, is health insurance a waste of money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I would like to take up the issue in this thread again if I may. I am married with two kids (ages 6 and 2). I am in full time employment while my wife is a stay-at-home mum. Previously, we lived in Italy and as a result enjoyed absolutely free and excellent health care. We are currently looking at healthcare solutions and quite honestly have enormous trouble understanding excess and other elements of certain plans. We have both just gone 30 so we don't want to spend a fortune on things we may not need for another 20 years. We just want to have cover for the kids really and a bit of security in the event of an emergency. Can anybody recommend a plan that might suit? Should I be scared ****less of ever going into a public hospital? What am I entitled to from the public health system? Why the hell are we looking to the States for answers when best practice would indicate Cuba with its second-to-none preventative system? We have been back in Ireland almost a year now and haven't heard anything about regular check-ups/tests that occur as standard in Italy for kids. Not to mention the fact that in Italy every child is assigned a pediatrician, not a GP, a pediatrician.

Advertisement