Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP auto reboot

• 21-11-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Windows XP is annoying me every few minutes with a pop up asking me do I want to reboot now, or later, and if I dont answer within 5 minutes it automatically reboots my PC. Its quite annoying because it pops up every few minutes with the same question. Is there any way to turn it off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

Thanks for that.
    God why cant MS make this sort of thing simple, rather than having to edit the registry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

because you need to reboot after you update the OS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

Its stupid that you have to do a reboot for trivial updates. I've had experiences where an update would run, reboot, the updater would update and install more updates, reboot, more updates....
    E.g. just recently IE had to upgrade 2 versions of itself in a row, it couldnt just install the latest update, had to do it incrementatlly.

In Linux you can update most stuff without a reboot, and it does all the updates at once, not in dribs and drabs like windows. MS really need to sort out their updater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

'Your mouse has moved, reboot Windows to take effect'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

verbatim wrote:
    Its stupid that you have to do a reboot for trivial updates. I've had experiences where an update would run, reboot, the updater would update and install more updates, reboot, more updates....
    E.g. just recently IE had to upgrade 2 versions of itself in a row, it couldnt just install the latest update, had to do it incrementatlly.
    Don't get me started, http://update.microsoft.com having to do two reboots on some machines before you can start downloads, and as you point out many updates need to be done singly especially IE and then repatched afterwards.

IMHO you can't have a single windows server providing five 9's reliability ( standard in the telecoms industry ) due to the bi-monthly reboots, servers taking serveral minutes longer than workstations due to RAID and SCSI BIOS's in the POST.

If you look closer you will see that many of the updates are to prevent your machine being taken complete control of by visting a malicious web site. Though others critical updates have been trivial like the one that removed the Swastika (still used in tibet) because it offended some people, and as I'll keep pointing out, it left in the Star of David, many christian symbols, various crescents and others that about half the worlds population could have been offended by if the wanted to be.

But the real kicker is if you read the EULA that comes with selected patches, they may not be the same as that supplied with the original OS or product, moving goalposts.

Advertisement