Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomcat attacking younger cats

Options
  • 21-11-2006 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Story is, i have 4 stray kittens range from 6 months to about 18 months old.
    Used to have a 5th but he ran away i think scared of this tomcat.
    They are stray as they stumbled upon my house(back garden) when they were tiny kittens as they were starving and i fed them then and have fed them since.

The cats sleep outside as they will not come in despite many attempts by myself to cajole them, think it just takes time for them to get used to humans to stop running away anytime i approach or lift them though the older ones dont run away as much anymore.

Now, for the last few months, this big aggressive tomcat keeps attacking the 2 older cats in as far as biting their tails/ears and they are terrified of him.
    I live in a terraced house in a row of terraced houses with back gardens surrounded by walls/fences and the tomcat does regular crossings from one side to another, numerous times i've sighted him and 'ran' him.

I'm sure he's not a stray as he looks well groomed and fed and seems to come like clockwork at regular intervals as if someone lets him out at that very time all the time!

But question is, is there anyway to protect the kittens from this monster, as there is no way in tracing the owner of the tomcat?
    A friend did suggest throwing water at him as cats do not like it and will think twice about coming back, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Only thing I can think of is to catch him in a humane cat trap and have him neutered and return him. If he does have owners they will be non the wiser doesn't sound like if he has owners they would be that attentive anyway.

Your local rescue might be able to lend you a cat trap or you can rent them from http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Cat_Traps_Humane.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Can I suggest you post your question here -> http://kittenadoption.proboards80.com/

Its an Irish board run by www.kittenadoption.ie rescue, the owner is an animal behaviouralist and would be able to advise. (TheSausage)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

DublinEvents:
    Causing pain to an animal is never a good idea.
    Banned for one week.
    And I suggest you read the forum charter before you post again.
    PM me when its up.

FnF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you suggesting that the OP forcibly neuter someone else's cat? :eek:
    Only thing I can think of is to catch him in a humane cat trap and have him neutered and return him. If he does have owners they will be non the wiser doesn't sound like if he has owners they would be that attentive anyway.

Advertisement