Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A snake

Options
  • 22-11-2006 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about getting a pet snake.

I was in Australia and held and had various different snakes crawl over me, and I really enjoyed it.

Are they easy to keep, expensive?

What would be a good 'starter snake'?

I'd like a 'big' one, are these harder to have as pets?

There is a cat in the house at present, would this cause any problem?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Coonagh Cowboy

Snakes are usually very easy to keep,provided all their needs are met and their healthy to begin with,most have the same basic needs but at the same time each one usually has its own needs as well depending on what type of snake you choose to have.I would suggest researching about the particular snake your wanting to keep,the more you know the happier you and the snake will be,get to know the signs and symptoms of various illnesses and treatments and make sure that there is a vet near where you are that will and can treat reptiles if the need arises,as well as the nutritional needs they require to stay happy and healthy,its better to know too much than not enough,ya know.As for the cat,just make sure that it cant get to the snake so it wont end up the snake's dinner if you get a large constrictor,or if you get a small one it wont end up the cat's dinner.Larger snakes arent really much different than the smaller ones except they eat more and their naturally stronger.Good luck with your future reptile.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

a good starter snake is a corn snake they come in lots of different coulors and can grow to 6 foot easy to keep and one of the most widely available snakes a good site is www.cornsnakes.com there is lots of info on there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'd agree with animan there, corn snakes are widely kept and therefore the information on general care and husbandry is out there.
    It's not hard to do research if you look in the right places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I would say start with a corn snake - then get a python/boa if you feel you can handle such a big snake - I love my common boa he was under 3foot when I got in Feb now he is a tad under 5 foot & growing - he often strikes at me & is soooooooo strong he can hurt when I hold him - I expect him to grow to be another few feet yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yes, a cornsnake, milksnake or kingsnake would be an ideal starter snake.

Then you can move on a level and get a small python species such as a royal python which rarely get above 6ft.

I've got four adult corns, two baby corns from my female corn, a royal python, a hog island boa constrictor (small boa species which is extinct in the wild), a californian kingsnake and three boa constrictors which have been paid for, but are yet to arrive.

All the ones I have at the moment are fairly easy to keep. The adult snakes are fed every Thursday, the hog boa is fed Sunday and Thursday and the baby corn is fed every Monday and Friday.
    They only poop twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

Demonique wrote:
    Yes, a cornsnake, milksnake or kingsnake would be an ideal starter snake.

Then you can move on a level and get a small python species such as a royal python which rarely get above 6ft.

I've got four adult corns, two baby corns from my female corn, a royal python, a hog island boa constrictor (small boa species which is extinct in the wild), a californian kingsnake and three boa constrictors which have been paid for, but are yet to arrive.

All the ones I have at the moment are fairly easy to keep. The adult snakes are fed every Thursday, the hog boa is fed Sunday and Thursday and the baby corn is fed every Monday and Friday.
    They only poop twice a week.

can you tell me where you buy your snakes ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Reptile Haven, Fishamble street, Dubli

Some of my snakes came from my female snake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Yeah corn snakes make great starter snakes! my one feeds great and is real friendly, although if you don't handle them for awhile they might strike occasionally. a good place to buy cornsnakes is beaumans in stillorgan, they have a great selection of snakes and they know their stuff.
    Tom

Advertisement