Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

remote car starters......asswipes !

Options
  • 22-11-2006 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

...I mean, it's not as if we're in Singapore, or Atlanta, with 100+ deg and 100% RH, so we don't need to remote start the cars............so why are people doing it? And how ? ( I mean, with out the safety interlocks, that is....)

Reason is, my brother had his car wrecked by an asswipe with a Civic yesterday over this...............

Civic owner remote starts his car............but it's in gear, and shoots across a car park and into l.h. rear door of his car. Eur 1300 in damage, and the Civic is 3" shorter too......

Idiot. Imagine if it'd been Tesco car park, and woman/kids/trolley the thing hit?

Just a thought.....if you've got one of these things, and your car is manual..........plug it OUT !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have one of these in my car, except I have a switch attached to the gearstick so if she's not in neutral the relay won't make contact

Sorry about your brothers car but LOL @ the Civic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

that class, might look into getting that in my car, it'd be great on a frosty morning

thanks galwaytt

They're great. I love mine, only really use it in the winter though.

IMO theyre good for your engine. Start your car 3-4 min before you get into it, the oil will have had a chance to warm up a bit, also heats up the car so youre not freezing getting into the damn thing :) Oh and if you leave your heater setting to windscreen, it'll defrost your windscreen for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

where would one buy one of these?? Would make a great x-mas pressi but I have the feeling they would be way too much..would the be complicated to install??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

JohnCleary wrote:
    IMO theyre good for your engine.
    I would disagree...an engine heats up quicker when your driving therefor when it's idling it heats up slower and is more prone to damage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Sounds like a load of bollox to me. Another item to add to the lazy bástards wish list. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

galwaytt wrote:
    Reason is, my brother had his car wrecked by an asswipe with a Civic yesterday over this..............

Just a thought.....if you've got one of these things, and your car is manual..........plug it OUT !

No Neutral safety switch, and/or park brake switch, what do you expect?. sorry, but it is avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Humm...

My 1968 Ford 4000 tractor has a safety switch to prevent it being started in gear.

I always idle my car for a minute or so every morning, but no longer. It is uncooperative when cold anyway so I drive it very lightly until it warms up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

so has my 89 truck. Simple affairs and very useful, EXCEPT when you need to started motor to move a vehicle out of hte way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Archeron

galwaytt wrote:
    Reason is, my brother had his car wrecked by an asswipe with a Civic yesterday over this...............

Civic owner remote starts his car............but it's in gear, and shoots across a car park and into l.h. rear door of his car. Eur 1300 in damage, and the Civic is 3" shorter too......

Wow. I never even heard of these. Has anyone seen Stephen Kings "Christine"??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I heard of these a long time ago. A mate used to work for an auto factors and had all of these gadgets installed on his car and parked it outside using it as a demo model.

By his own admission, he only used it on cold mornings to heat the car up before he got into it and it was only an expensive toy with no real usefulness.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...btw, as mentioned about cold mornings....in Germany it's illegal to warm the car up for a period, before driving off.............emissions etc.

'sfunny, you're not allowed wash your car on the street, either..........

whatever the merits about having them - an incompetent installation with no safety features not only raises the spectre of the types of accident my brother had, or potentially could have - with people involved - it'd be interesting to see if your ins co would cover it, seeing as your car is no longer homologated................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Owners manual for my car says not to let it idle to warm up, to drive away as soon as its started, even in freezing cold weather. This makes sense, as it will get it up to temp quicker. Just drive gently for the first bit, don't rev it too much, don't boost, but for gods sake, don't labour it either, as thats even worse . ( That shaking and rattling is actually bearings rattling, even worse with cold oil ). Really pisses me off that most Irish drivers are afraid to rev their car, but will happily try to drive at 15mph in 4th gear up a hill, through pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Must have been a cheap ass piece of kit fitted,ebay is full of them for next to nothing.There normally fitted with handbrake switch ie if the handbrake is pulled the starter wont engage.

Ive the option of adding one onto my clifford but i wouldnt.It means installing a transponder(the top of a chipped key) in the car to fool the ecu into thinking the keys in the ignition so it will unmobilise.

Grand on cars with no immobilisors from factory but your effectivly removing a layer of security by adding one if you have an immobilisor from factory

eireal wrote:
    Must have been a cheap ass piece of kit fitted,ebay is full of them for next to nothing.There normally fitted with handbrake switch ie if the handbrake is pulled the starter wont engage.

Ive the option of adding one onto my clifford but i wouldnt.It means installing a transponder(the top of a chipped key) in the car to fool the ecu into thinking the keys in the ignition so it will unmobilise.

Grand on cars with no immobilisors from factory but your effectivly removing a layer of security by adding one if you have an immobilisor from factory

My one has an immoboliser with it, mind you it's not one of the sh1tty eBay ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

fletch wrote:
    I would disagree...an engine heats up quicker when your driving therefor when it's idling it heats up slower and is more prone to damage

It's better to let an engine idle after startup. Oil sinks to the sump overnight, if you drive it straight away, the oil pump has little or no time to scavenge oil from the sump and lift it to the cams. No lubrication = scoring of the cams/premature wear of engine components.*

On this subject, I came across a company making a heating element for the engine itself that plumbs in through the frost plug blank on most cylinder blocks. You set it to a certain time, and it heats the engine without running it. Of course, the obvious answer to all of this is if your car has the option, buy a Winter Pack (Heated Seats, Windscreen, Mirrors, Washer Jets) - those options aren't expensive anymore.

*this is for most engines, and may not be applicable to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

remote starters are pretty much standard on all new cars in Dubai these days. When its 40deg in the early morning, and heading towards 50deg throughout the day, its great to have the car lovely and cool while your having your cornflakes :)
    sometimes the door handles are so hot you'd wonder why they didn't melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

ned78 wrote:
    On this subject, I came across a company making a heating element for the engine itself that plumbs in through the frost plug blank on most cylinder blocks. You set it to a certain time, and it heats the engine without running it.

Do yo have a URL for that ? The Scandinavians fit them to their cars so that they're all toasty before the own sets off in the morning. Bit like a kettle element that sits in the engine block heating the coolant like you say. Apart from making sure the water is hot enough for the heater :D it's also healthier for the engine. No more cold starts as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

All of thoise kits come with a safety circuit. Some wally obviously fitted it !!

Glad nobody was hurt !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably this was not OEM and also not declared to their insurance company!
    ned78 wrote:
    It's better to let an engine idle after startup. Oil sinks to the sump overnight, if you drive it straight away, the oil pump has little or no time to scavenge oil from the sump and lift it to the cams. No lubrication = scoring of the cams/premature wear of engine components.*
    source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When starting a cold engine its best to move off straight away keeping revs to below about 2500 rpm until a couple of mins has passed. This is of course utterly alien behaviour for some!

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would not use a remote car start system to wipe my bottom. :)

It's not the gears fault, it's the owner and probably the installer.

MarkR wrote:
    I would not use a remote car start system to wipe my bottom. :)

It's not the gears fault, it's the owner and probably the installer.

Of course you wouldn't, you'd use toilet paper ya spanner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I have to say they are very good for your engine in cold morning.
    I also love mine cause I warm the car up before bringing the kids to school.
    The way the system work is like this (not all models, only the one that we use):

If the car is automatic - this is very safe as the car has to be in neutral or parking. Also the handbrake has to be up.

If the car is manual - The owner has to engage the remote start future as follows:
    the car has to be driven for least 5 min. with the handbrake down and doors closed.
    when you get at the destination, first you need to pull the handbrake up, then release clutch slowly to make sure the car is not in gear, then turn ignition off and remove the keys. At this stage the alarm will keep the engine running.
    Open the door, get out of the car and close it. When the door is closed the alarm shut down the engine. At this stage the remote start is engaged and you can activate it by remote.
    If by any chance you forgot something in the car and get back to it later, by turning the alarm off and open the door, the remote start will automatically be turned-off for security reasons, just in case by mistake you engaged the gears.

kbannon wrote:
    source?

You're kidding right? This is basic mechanics. A wet sump based engine will prematurely wear cam driven components if oil doesn't get up to them in time. It's also what we do in the Airport where I fly, let the oil get up from the sump to the cams before doing the power checks and flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ned78 wrote:
    You're kidding right? This is basic mechanics. A wet sump based engine will prematurely wear cam driven components if oil doesn't get up to them in time. It's also what we do in the Airport where I fly, let the oil get up from the sump to the cams before doing the power checks and flying.

You mean it WAS basic mechanics, back when engines were slower reving, with bigger clearances, and lower performance. Oh, and carbs.

Modern engines do not need to be warmed before use. Moderate use until suitable temp, yes, but not warmed up. Left idling, it's probably running a bit rich, which, you could argue, is causing premature wear, and you're certainly wasting fuel.......and emmissions are higher too.

If engines are not retaining oil in the galleries from previous running, then it's immediately obvious - ticking tappets/timing chains - the usual. And modern oils are inherently designed to be multi-temp, to endure the hard wipe-off on cold components on start up. If your oil system takes time to prime it's either old, or faulty.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote:
    Modern engines do not need to be warmed before use. Moderate use until suitable temp, yes, but not warmed up.

I work for a Motor Dealer, and a high tech based one at that. And I work on my own engines too. I've experience of Carb based, and EFI based engines. As someone mechanically inclined, and with a mechanical background, I would say it's good practise for all engines to be warmed up. Yes an engine can drive straight off, but it's better overall to let it run, even for 30 seconds. No one claimed at any stage that a car couldn't be driven straight off, it's just those with Mechanical Sympathy prefer to leave the car alone for the first 30 seconds (It normally takes me this long to turn the radio on and decide which station to listen to anyway) ... it's not a long length of time.

For example, if you drive straight off in an R50 MINI Cooper, you run the risk of damaging the Power Steering, as the mechanical based Steering Pump hasn't had the chance to get the hydraulic fluid flowing for the first 3 seconds.
    galwaytt wrote:
    Left idling, it's probably running a bit rich, which, you could argue, is causing premature wear, and you're certainly wasting fuel.......and emmissions are higher too.

You make mention of engines storing oil in the Galleries ... some do, but what happens if your engine is one of the ones that lets the oil drain to the sump so you can get a correct dipstick reading? Refer to my first post then that says that my argument refers to a lot of engines, but not all.

Most 'modern engines' as you call them, have lambda sensors to automatically remap based on the lamda sensors, and other factors such as humidity, rpm, barometric pressure to ensure running rich doesn't happen. The only engine that should run rich is a carb based engine, and a badly tuned one at that - perhaps a really crappy fuel injected one too! Wasting fuel? Isn't that what driving is all about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Don't most new cars require the clutch to be depressed, I know the new Focus and Yaris NG require it to be done anyway, have heard the Laguna requires it be done too. This would really render an auto starters useless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

what are you all on about engine damage, sure your shiny new car will be a cube in 10 years, long before engine wear will be a problem, i'd just want it so that the inside of the car will be warm for me and the windows de-misted and de-frosted

Advertisement