Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fan control blues

Options
  • 22-11-2006 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

I bought a fan control today to stop the jet-noise from my PC when I'm browsing the web (and don't need it cranked up for gaming :D)

The SET button in the fan control today wasn't working (kinda important for - oh I dont know - the TEMP alarm!:eek:) so needless to say it's going back

The fan control I got today controlled 3 fans & had three 3-pin connectors for 1 SYS fan and one HDD drive as well as the CPU.

5 of my fans are molex in my machine (only the cpu is 3 pin) - my question is, does anybody know of any fan controls that at least have 2 molex connections? also one 3-pin connection for the CPU - obviously the more fan controls the better :)

So, In short I want to know if anyone know of a fan control that has:
    2 to 5 molex fan connections
    1 3-pin fan connection
    and is hopefully €50 or under

I just need to shut my machine up! (I've temporarily disconnected 2 'extra' fans, a 140mm intake fan and a 80mm side fan; that's taken some of the whine away)
    but the less noise the better!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just a thought, but does your motherboard have auto speed settings in the bias for the cpu fan. I've been living with only the cpu fan and a low db 12" case fan, Also went for a quiet power supply with 12" fan and 3 cooling setting low, auto & high. Got a fanless gfx card too, so that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Hi eolhc, yes CPU fan does adjust to heat - I have AMD cool n' quiet running and to be honest when you've the other fans going it doesnt make much of a difference. :(

The (5) fans going at the moment are
    a 120mm exhaust fan
    a gfx card fan (it's o/clocked I think leaving the factory (open to correction) so it prob needs this)
    m/board fan
    CPU fan
    Power supply fan

Disconnected:
    140mm intake fan
    80 mm side fan (on perspex side of case)

system is running at about 22 degrees overall at the moment
    at 'idle' Gfx card temp is 45 degrees (maybe load quake 4 later and post temp under load)
    CPU temp is 22 degress at idle (again not sure under load)

The machine is nicer to use now since I disconnected the 2 other fans (see above) but wouldn't object to making it quieter etc. :)

What are my options with my current setup as regards replacing fans with heatsinks etc.? What about 'quieter' fan replacements? I would really like to get a fan control that matches criteria needed (my last post, above)

if any1 needs more info as to my setup it's in my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I have Q-fan enabled on my Asus mobo an i use Akasa amber case fans
    The Sonata case is lined with soundproofing material and the Arctic Cooler helps too.
    even with the 7900gtx running its completly silent,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I just decided to check my temperatures
    temp1 78C
    temp2 127C
    temp3 40C
    hdd 32C
    temp1 40C
    core 41C
    graphics 54C

Not sure what the 78C and 127C values are coming from, might be the software i used, i know the case temp is 40C
    I think the case and cpu stay around 40 go up about 50-55 under load, had it 5-10 degrees lower before with an extra fan, but decided it wasn't worth the noise

Like TonyM I also have the sound proofing foam and rubber which helps a bit, and the amber alaska :)

I havn't used fan controller before so not much help here, can you get molex to 3 pin adapters, i imagine most fan controller sockets will be the 3 pin type

the pc will only be as quiet as it's loudest fan, so identifying whats making the most noise is the most important thing

panaflo fans or other low db fans will make a huge differance if the case fans are the loud fans, and the fan controller option is probably a good idea too to turn things down when you don't need all the cooling

replacing the graphics card fan also can make a huge differance if thats an option, i got an artic cooler for my old ati9800 which had an awful high pitched fan, was definitely worth doing

if it's the power supply fan thats noisy you'll need a quieter power supply

But yeah work out whats making the most noise and tackle that first

Advertisement