Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do bands that use 7 strings make more interesting music?

• 22-11-2006 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so the 7 String guitar died a death at the hands of Korn in the mid to late 90's, and there was definetly some backlash against them, seeing as a lot of bands in the Nu-Metal scene could just as easily play the same things by tuning down a regular guitar.

But lately, the 7 String seems to have been "Reclaimed" from the hands of such talentless trends, and is now firmly back in the hands of bands more aking to the original innovators like Steve Vai, Morbid Angel and Dream Theater, who actually make use of the extended range, rather than just using it just for lower tunings.

These days it seems like bands that really excite me are using 7 Strings:

Nevermore
    Strapping Young Lad
    Scar Symmetry
    Meshuggah (Ok, they're using 8 strings now, but they used to play 7s)
    To-Mera
    Zero Hour
    Mithras
    Textures

To name but a few. ;)

Anyway, maybe it's just the fact that I play 7 Strings, and I'm drawn more to such bands or they appeal to me more, but I really do think that some of the best bands these day seem to be those using 7's.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

In fairness, Korn were quite imaginative in their use of 7 string guitars, lots of low tuned riffing yes, but plenty of other interesting sounds too, same goes for the Borland fella from Limp Bizkit. In fact, one could argue they were more imaginative in what sounds can be extracted from a guitar than the bands on your list. Most of the bands here are technically proficient, yes, but groundbreaking, not so much. They can play and they let you know it but it's still fairly traditional stuff and the level of interest is hardly down to the guitar, more the imagination and skill of the player behind it. Most of these bands only seem to use the 7 strings while soloing, which is but a small part of the song and it's clear the bulk of the music is still confined to a fairly small traditional range of notes given the range available on their instruments.

There is still plenty of music at least as interesting as those bands who use 6 strings. It's the player who plays the instrument, not the other way around and, in truth, it doesn't matter what they play, it's what you hear coming out of the speakers that counts. I've yet to hear a Metal band really make proper use of extended range (not just in the down direction) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Doctor J wrote:
    In fairness, Korn were quite imaginative in their use of 7 string guitars, lots of low tuned riffing yes, but plenty of other interesting sounds too, same goes for the Borland fella from Limp Bizkit.

Id have to agree. While I like the 7 string of Dream Theatre, I think that at least Korn and Limp Bizkit tried to be creative and bring out sounds that had not been heard before. Wes Borland is an extremely under apprichated guitarist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Borland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doctor J wrote:
    There is still plenty of music at least as interesting as those bands who use 6 strings.

Never said there wasn't. Gojira have really blown me away recently, and they don't use 7s.
    Doctor J wrote:
    It's the player who plays the instrument, not the other way around

It's hardly like I'm suggesting that merely using the instrument would make your music better, but rather the kind of player who would use a 7. Emphasis on 'The kind of player' there. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I think you're completely wrong with your comment about 7 strings "dying" with Korn. If anything, they brought 7 string guitars into main stream rock (read: more common) and highlighted the ability to have extended range on a guitar. I think they were my first introduction to 7 stringery.

feylya wrote:
    I think you're completely wrong with your comment about 7 strings "dying" with Korn. If anything, they brought 7 string guitars into main stream rock (read: more common) and highlighted the ability to have extended range on a guitar. I think they were my first introduction to 7 stringery.

Oh, they certainly brought it into the mainstream, no doubting that, but I think they brought a very negative stigma to the 7, and after the whole Nu-Metal trend died down, the 7 string kinda went with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They only brought a negative stigma to those who were too wrapped up in hating "nu-metal" and didn't bother their arses to actually listen to the music and decide for themselves. ****ing robots.

feylya wrote:
    They only brought a negative stigma to those who were too wrapped up in hating "nu-metal" and didn't bother their arses to actually listen to the music and decide for themselves. ****ing robots.

Perhaps, but there were a lot of production 7 String guitars around in the mid-late 90's that were axed (Forgive the pun) after the trend died.

I mean, a few years back Ibanez had quite a lot of 7's, like the UV777, K7, RG7620 / 7621 / 7420 / 7421 / 7421XL / 7321 / 2027, aswell as the S7420. Now there's only the UV, K7, RG1527, RG7321, and they're reintroducing a new S7.

I don't think it's due to a particular genre of music (remember there are plenty of jazzers who play 7s too), the 7 is a relatively new guitar design. As with any new design, there would have been an initial surge of interest and then people deciding that maybe the instrument wasn't for them, maybe some deciding it was for them and the 7 is now finding its correct share of the guitar playing market. Most guitarists won't ever use all 7 strings and won't see a need for it. Oasis on a 7 string? It'll never happen. The most common chords are for 6 strings. The 7th string is superfluous to most people's needs. The masses don't need a 7th string, it just gets in their way. As Metal evolves, there are some players who find the instrument allows them greater freedom to express themselves but Metal is a niche market and the 7 will remain a niche guitar within a niche market.

So it's just me then? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd look at it from the other direction actually. The musicians that use the instrument are those that look outside the box in terms of their musical direction hence using such a different like the 7 string is just a natural extension of their willingness to do something different, not the other way around.

• Advertisement

The only extended range (common) instrument to really break into the mainstream is the 5 string bass. Having notes lower than the standard root was a natural progression for a bass instrument and amplification and string technology has progessed to enable lower notes to be clear, true and functional within a myriad of music styles. I don't think guitars or guitar amplification have really pushed forward in the same way bass design has, which I would consider another factor in the relative popularity and mainstream useage of the instruments.

gizmo wrote:
    I'd look at it from the other direction actually. The musicians that use the instrument are those that look outside the box in terms of their musical direction hence using such a different like the 7 string is just a natural extension of their willingness to do something different, not the other way around.

Er, that's exactly what I've said. "The other way around" is exactly what I have already stated that I wasn't suggesting:
    It's hardly like I'm suggesting that merely using the instrument would make your music better, but rather the kind of player who would use a 7. Emphasis on 'The kind of player' there.

I don't think using a 7 string guitar (or the urge to choose a 7 string guitar) is indicative of a more inventive or creative player, not at all. I haven't heard a band who play 7 strings reinvent the wheel. Most of what I've heard (in a Metal format) involves the same lower string chugging and riffing and the same soling in the high strings. The most inventive bands of the last 15 years I can think of were six bangers all the way. If there has been a revolution, it wasn't televised... it wasn't even on the radio :p

I'm not knocking 7 string guitars or their players, I just disagree that it's being put to use to make something new or more interesting than what's already out there. I mean, Django Reinhart did more with two fingers than 99.999% guitarists with fully functioning digits. A bigger canvas does not mean a better or more creative painting. Most 7 string players I've experienced just play their riffs a string lower and widdle over 7 strings, not 6. That's not a creative leap, not in my book.

Doctor J wrote:
    I don't think using a 7 string guitar (or the urge to choose a 7 string guitar) is indicative of a more inventive or creative player, not at all. I haven't heard a band who play 7 strings reinvent the wheel. Most of what I've heard (in a Metal format) involves the same lower string chugging and riffing and the same soling in the high strings. The most inventive bands of the last 15 years I can think of were six bangers all the way. If there has been a revolution, it wasn't televised... it wasn't even on the radio :p

I'm not knocking 7 string guitars or their players, I just disagree that it's being put to use to make something new or more interesting than what's already out there. I mean, Django Reinhart did more with two fingers than 99.999% guitarists with fully functioning digits. A bigger canvas does not mean a better or more creative painting. Most 7 string players I've experienced just play their riffs a string lower and widdle over 7 strings, not 6. That's not a creative leap, not in my book.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that I've said that anyone has revolutionised anything here, all I'm saying is that it seems to be that I find bands who use 7s more interesting. Read as insteresting to me.

It's hardly like I'm suggesting that merely using the instrument would make your music better, but rather the kind of player who would use a 7. Emphasis on 'The kind of player' there. ;)

I read from this that you think the output of the kind of player who chooses to play a 7 string is intrinsically more interesting, thinks outside the box, more willing to do something different, except for the large wave of nu-metallers who populairsed it, more so than the kind of player who plays a regular 6?

I disagree. I don't hear the outside the box thinking, the radically different music that you speak of. If it's interesting to you dude, that's grand but you asked for our thoughts on the subject, I'm just saying I don't hear any more creativity or anything more interesting coming from the 7 bangers than I do from the 6 and I don't believe being the kind of player who chooses a 7 string means someone's music will be any more interesting than someone who chooses a 6 string, like there's a door to a magic place in their psyche that's open hence they choose a 7 etc... :)

Doctor J wrote:
    I read from this that you think the output of the kind of player who chooses to play a 7 string is intrinsically more interesting, thinks outside the box, more willing to do something different, except for the large wave of nu-metallers who populairsed it, more so than the kind of player who plays a regular 6?

I disagree. I don't hear the outside the box thinking, the radically different music that you speak of. If it's interesting to you dude, that's grand but you asked for our thoughts on the subject, I'm just saying I don't hear any more creativity or anything more interesting coming from the 7 bangers than I do from the 6 and I don't believe being the kind of player who chooses a 7 string means someone's music will be any more interesting than someone who chooses a 6 string, like there's a door to a magic place in their psyche that's open hence they choose a 7 etc... :)

Ah well, this thread was kinda me thinking out loud. ;)

I took a look at all the CDs I've been listening to lately, and new albums I've got, and it all seemed to be bands using 7 Strings. I mean, Nevermore, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Meshuggah, James LaBrie, To-Mera, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Devin Townsend Band, Emperor, and so forth.

But you know, you say there's nothing particularly different about the music, but I'll actually go and disagree there, and say that there's quite a few bands there who've really created their own sound. I mean, who has done anything like Meshuggah? Or who exactly has ever done anything that's anywhere close to what Emperor have done on their last album? I genuinely can't think of anything.

Who exactly would you have said was doing anything new over the last 15 years so?

The last real unique album in Metal for me was Cynic. There's very little that's happened since then where you ask "Where did that come from?". Musically, the innovative stuff isn't happening with guitar music at all, IMO. There's good new music, yes, but nothing that's really out there, to me anyway.

The real innovations are digital ones these days :o

Doesn't Petrucci spend more time on a 6 though? ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Most of the music ive heard with bands that use 7 strings, they'll use the 7 string as a 6 string, ignoring the high E.

I don't like downtuned crap ;) (Unless its early Savatage :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Do bands that use 7 strings make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use 6 strings make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use bass make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use 5-string bass make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use 6-string bass make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use a small drum kit make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use a big drum kit with all the bells and whistles make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use laptops make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use violins make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use Chapman sticks make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use harps make more interesting music? No
    Do bands that use angle grinders make more interesting music? No

Do bands that use what they have creatively make more interesting music? Yes.

The instruments do not make the music interesting, it takes the musician to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lld

"Do bands that use 7 strings make more interesting music?"

this question is ridiculous. Its not the tools one has at their disposal but what they make of them that defines whether they are a good or bad artist.

• Advertisement

Ok, you'll have to forgive me if I get a little blunt, but I think you can appreciate how frustrating it can be to have your posts misread, state that the misinterpretation was an incorrect assertion twice in this thread already, and then have people come along, ignore what was already said, and repeate the same assertions again...
    John wrote:
    The instruments do not make the music interesting, it takes the musician to do that.
    lld wrote:
    this question is ridiculous. Its not the tools one has at their disposal but what they make of them that defines whether they are a good or bad artist.

Holy ****ing ****... "The instrument do not make the music..." "It's not the tools..." I never said it was the instruments/tools in the first place! Infact, I repeatedly state that it wasn't the case, why can't you be bothered to read the thread!?

Feel free to lamblast me for suggesting that any of the bands I've mentioned are interesting, disagree with me completely, but for christ sake, don't disagree with something I am NOT saying!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I guess the problem might be with the title you chose.
    It seems people can't see the thread for the title.

I've heard some interesting stuff from a 7 string, but some equally bland stuff.
    Korn were very interesting but I find they lacked any real longevity(sp?) and couldn't stand the test of time.
    Also, when reading an interview with Kerry King, he said 'I called up B.C. Rich and had them send me a 7string. I played around for a while and got two tracks down.' He was talking about 'God Hates Us All' and I for one, found nothing about that album ground-breaking or innovative.

So I would have to say that the reason you like those bands is simply because you like their style and what not. You would probably still like them if they were playing four string guitars, or twelve strings...or banjos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Holy ****ing ****... "The instrument do not make the music..." "It's not the tools..." I never said it was the instruments/tools in the first place! Infact, I repeatedly state that it wasn't the case, why can't you be bothered to read the thread!?

The thread title and this bit:
    I don't know where you're getting the idea that I've said that anyone has revolutionised anything here, all I'm saying is that it seems to be that I find bands who use 7s more interesting. Read as insteresting to me.

suggests to me that you're still putting more emphasis on the instrument than the player. To be honest, the last thing I think of when I think of a band (with very odd exception) is the instrument they use. It's the sound of music that I find interesting (not the musical mind you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think he means all the players he finds interesting have moved on to 7 strings after exhausting their 6 string creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

actually, i would imagine Karl is saying that the majority of 7 stringers he has come across tend to make more interesting music, pretty straightforward, and i would have the following to say:

bar your nu-metal pish, who just want extra heaviness, the *majority* of 7 string guitarists tend to be involved in projects which are very technically skilled, or write very progressive music, etc.

the majority of guitarists have no need for 7 string guitars, eg. if you want heaviness, detune. whereas more skilled guitarists will use 7s more for range, the ability to play 7string runs, etc etc.

looking at artists who use the 7 string to its full extent, you come across guys like Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, etc, who are all very progressive, and very talented guitar players.

i wont say that bands/artists who use 7 strings automatically make more interesting music, that would be a complete misnomer, but certainly a lot of them do make more challenging, complex, and progressive music, which appeals to me quite a bit. i think the main reason behind this is not that the use of a 7 string brings out more complex writing, but rather that the guitarists who feel the need for a 7 string, or are compelled to look to them to further their writing, tend to be very talented, very intelligent guitar players.

John wrote:
    To be honest, the last thing I think of when I think of a band (with very odd exception) is the instrument they use.

Actually, it was one of the last things I thought about. I didn't think to myself that Strapping Young Lad use 7s, therefor they must be good, it's a case of SYL are good, oh they're using 7s. The thought of the instruments came long after me listening to the bands, and recently noticing that a lot of the bands I've been listening to are using 7 strings got me thinking.

It's an afterthought about the music, not a precursor to it. Savvy? :)
    Alucard II wrote:
    actually, i would imagine Karl is saying that the majority of 7 stringers he has come across tend to make more interesting music, pretty straightforward, and i would have the following to say:

bar your nu-metal pish, who just want extra heaviness, the *majority* of 7 string guitarists tend to be involved in projects which are very technically skilled, or write very progressive music, etc.

the majority of guitarists have no need for 7 string guitars, eg. if you want heaviness, detune. whereas more skilled guitarists will use 7s more for range, the ability to play 7string runs, etc etc.

looking at artists who use the 7 string to its full extent, you come across guys like Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, etc, who are all very progressive, and very talented guitar players.

i wont say that bands/artists who use 7 strings automatically make more interesting music, that would be a complete misnomer, but certainly a lot of them do make more challenging, complex, and progressive music, which appeals to me quite a bit. i think the main reason behind this is not that the use of a 7 string brings out more complex writing, but rather that the guitarists who feel the need for a 7 string, or are compelled to look to them to further their writing, tend to be very talented, very intelligent guitar players.

Aye, spot on there. ;)

I think it's me pondering if the type of player who would use a 7 is someone who's looking to retain a lot of the high end and chords that would be lost in simply downtuning. So while someone like Max Cavalera only strings his guitar with 4 strings, and that's fine for his needs, a player using a 7 string is showing a willingness to use the range available with that instrument.

Or maybe it's just that the genres where 7s are most prevailant is the Progressive Metal and Death Metal genres, being easily my favourites, so said instrument in more obvious in those styles of music.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Depends on what you define as interesting KH. :) Morbid Angel are very interesting though I must say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I never got it, at all. The first one I played I went "man there's something wrong with this". I think you can be just as crap on a 7 string guitar as a 6 string. I don't find they make more interetsing music, in my mind "interesting" can be quiet varied though. As a guitar player, I don't think I'd have a need for one, but I can at some stage see myself buying a harp..

TK

Advertisement