Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championship

• 22-11-2006 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

hawker27 wrote:
    any taughts on the world championship next month?.i fancy a barney v taylor final if the don,t meet before hand.
    i think if barney can get to the final he will win it.

With only one minor event to go (Primus Masters in Belgium), the second round draw is shaping up as follows:

1 Lloyd
    32 Barneveld
    16 Walsh
    17 Bates

9 Ovens
    24 Warriner
    25 Askew
    8 Mardle

5 Lewis
    28 W Jones
    12 A Jenkins
    21 A Smith

13 Painter
    20 Newton
    29 Roy
    4 Scholten

3 Priestley
    30 M Clark
    19 Hamilton
    14 Dudbridge

11 Wade
    22 Sams
    27 Beaton
    6 Manley

7 T Jenkins
    26 Maish
    23 Anderson
    10 Baxter

15 Mason
    18 Part
    31 Monk
    2 Taylor

Barney pipped Dennis Smith by one point to grab the 32nd and last seeding spot (neither are playing in the Primus Masters) to set up a potential 2nd round clash with Lloyd. Of course all 32 players will have to overcome a fist round match to make it to the 2nd round.

Some of the positions could change after the Primus Masters. Terry Jenkins could pass out Manley and Lewis. Andy Jenkins could pass out Wade. Monk, Clark and Roy could all swap places. The rest are set in stone though.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some very interesting draws there with many of the big names potentially going to be playing each other early on. Im realy looking forward to the World Championships now and I cant wait to head over after Christmas. If i honest I cant see past Taylor but this year has been much closer than previous years wit many players challenging Taylor and giving him some good games. Should be an excellen tournament. You cant beat some good darts over christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think Monk might test Taylor in R2. Monk was a top player in the BDO, won the World Masters and was a semi-finalist at Lakeside and made the quarters on few occassions. He's been a bit of a disaster in the PDC but this would be a chance to finally make a name for himself and he has the ability to give Taylor a game over a relatively short-format. In saying all that there's at least a 50% chance Monk will blow it in the first round.

But then Taylor is very likely to have a tough game in round 3 vs either Part or Mason. Part is of course a proven Power-beater, and is one of only two guys who'd Taylor would be any way worried about.

I fancy James Wade to have a good tournament, I think he'll make the semis.

I hope Barney does well, especially if Taylor is ripping through his half. It would be a fantastic climax to the year to have a Taylor-Barney final. Won't be easy for Barney though - could be a run of Lloyd (as underdog might finally have a good World Championship - actually beat Taylor in a minor event recently), Barrie Bates (strong player - will be challenging for a Premier League place next year), Mardle (often ups his game for Purfleet) and Adrian Lewis to make the final.

Most of the International qualifiers have now been decided:

USA: John Kuczynski, Bill Davis
    Canada: Brian Cyr, Ron Miller, Gerry Convery
    New Zealand: Warren French
    Oceanic Masters Champion: Mitchell Clegg (Australian, only 16)
    Australia: Anthony Fleet
    Japan: Tetsuya Wada
    China: Shi Yongsheng
    German TV Wildcard: Tomas Seyler
    Netherlands: Rico Vonck (19)
    Dutch TV Wildcard: Josephus Schenk
    South Africa: Wynand Havenga
    Denmark: Per Laursen

The final international qualifier will be decided after the German Qualifying Event on Saturday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont anything about the international qualifiers only John Kuczynsky and Per Laursen. Its always interesting to see if any of these lads can do well in the tournament. I dont expect many of them to get through the first round but Purfleet always throws up some shocks.

I know Monk well from watching the BDO. He is a very passionate player and always has his son in the crowd cheering him on. I used to like him alot and he is much better than what he has shown on the PDC circuit. I think he is suffering from confidence and only needs one good run in a TV tournament to get him going.

Final international qualifier turns out to be an Austrian.

Jan van der Rassel won the Primus Masters. Terry Jenkins got two points to push him ahead of Pete Manley (thus they swap places in the draw above). Similarly Colin Monk got a point to move ahead of Matt Clark

• Advertisement

The qualifiers are on Saturday. Plenty of Irish trying to make it to Purfleet, including Mick McGowan, John Magowan, Tom Kirby, Owen Caffrey and Keith Rooney who all have a decent shout. I particularly hope Mick will get through as he's capable of going far in the tournament itself.

The qualifiers are on Saturday. Plenty of Irish trying to make it to Purfleet, including Mick McGowan, John Magowan, Tom Kirby, Owen Caffrey and Keith Rooney who all have a decent shout. I particularly hope Mick will get through as he's capable of going far in the tournament itself.

Any idea how it works Rooster as in how matches you have to win to qualify?

McGowen has been on brilliant form and must have a great chance of getting through. Would be great to have at least one Irish player in the tournament. Im not happy with the fact that our international qualifying place was taken away. Doesnt make sense to me.

The draw is here
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/WorldChampsDetail/0,,10180~933201,00.html

You have to win 3 or 4 games to get through - depening on whether you have to play in the prelim round or not, i.e. you have to win your board.

McGowan needs to win 3 games. There's another Irishman on his board (Board 15) Kieran Lennon, who I know nothing about. The only other guy on the board I've heard of is Lee Palfreyman - who I think once made the semis of the Las Vegas Desert Classic, so is certainly capable of playing to a high level.

Just noticed Anto McCracken is not in the draw. He must have decided not to join the PDPA, depsite his good showing at Citywest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

See Bristow is on Board 1............would be great if he could recapture some of that old form.

Yeah really hope Mick gets through...........it'd be great to have an Irish man through and I think he could do well if given a nice draw.

Is McCracken involved in the BDO???

McCracken is an Irish international in the BDO system, and played in the Winmau World Masters and the qualifiers for the Lakeside this year. But the same can be said of Garret Gray who is in the PDC qualifiers.

But there is a big financial outlay to joining the PDPA. You have to shell out 3 amounts - a registration fee (£300 or £400), an annual sub (not sure about £150 I think) and entry fee to the qualifiers (£100) + whatever expenses are required. If you decide to stay in the PDPA, you need to pay another annual sub in January.

The benefits arent too bad though - £500 for making the semifinal of your board, £1,000 for the final and a minimum of £3,500 if you win your board and make it to Purfleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

AFAIK McCracken is staying putt, Garath Grey has joined the PDC though. This is McGowans big chance to make a name for himself in Ireland (apart from those who are well into darts he woulden't be that well known) if he get's trough this weekend think he will do well in the finals, it would boost his rankings as well.

Great news. Mick McGowan has powered his way through to Purfleet.

Won his three games 5-0, 5-1, 5-0.

Otherwise, not so good for the Irish:

John Magowan (NI) lost his semi to Ray Carver.
    Garret Grey lost his 1st round match 5-0.
    Keith Rooney lost his 1st match 5-1.
    Ray Farrell (NI) lost his 1st match 5-4.
    Kieran Lennon lost his 1st match 5-4
    Tom Kirby won his 1st match 5-3, but then lost his next 5-3.
    Dennis McCarthy lost to John Lowe 5-3. Lowe was beaten in the semi (as were Bristow and Whitcombe).
    Owen Caffrey withdrew.
    Henry O'Neill, another from the North, won his first game

The first round draw is up on planetdarts.tv

Mick McGowan has drawn Matt Clark. Which is good and bad. I'm very confident Mick will put away Clark, but then comes a likely second round match v Taylor!

Of course Mick is the only player on the PDC circuit who has a positive win record v Taylor. Played 1 Won 1 :D

Delighted for McGowan. He strolled through the qualifiers and his great form continues. If he does play Taylor then I feel he can give him a good game over the reletively short format of the second round.

PDC World Championships First Round Draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dicie111

Rooster, Ian Branks who qualified off board 5 at play offs is living in lisburn, kieran lennon is a talented player, won a tramore title and has played on tv in the news of the world in 1997...

Are any of you lot heading over to Purfleet for this years Championships?

I went over last year and absolutely loved it. Got to see that Taylor V Mardle epic Semi-Final and there was no atmosphere like it. Im going over again this year for the Semi-Finals and Final which means I will be in London for New Years!

So anyone going over?

Advertisement