Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is at fault?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question that is annoying me, Let me set the scene......

I was driving to work this morning aroung 6 ish, there were no cars around me. no hassle just going along the M50 around Sandyford. I had the cruse control set at 100 in the 100Km/h limit, driving in the slow lane. Then I see a car in the slip road. It speeds up to my speed exactly and stays by my side. the slip road has another good 200M left so I do nothing (cruse still on). The other driver also did nothing and stayed right by the side of my car the whole lenght of the slip road. Well as the slip road ends they run out of room and swerve onto the hatching while blowing the horn and then swerve out just behind me flashing. They then overtake about 1km later.

So the question is what is going on? have I

A Been a bad driver

B Just encountered another physco

Your views are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

F*ck them. They proberly expected you to back down, why, I don't know. Sounds like you were in the right, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The driver on the slip road is joining your lane, they need to join at a safe time.
    There is no obligation for cars in the left lane to move over for those joining, although it is usually done out of courtesy.

Well, that is my take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You probbly should have just moved out to the outside lane out of courtesy and as it turns out, for safetys sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

aren't you suppose to move lanes to allow them to enter as long as it is SAFE to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, you *could* have pulled over ...but you shouln't have to really in that situation.

The two cars are the only ones on the road, you're doing a constant speed while the other one is trying to merge.

How much easier can it be for him? All he needed to do was just lift off the gas for a second, let you go past and slide in behind you.

Lack of spacial awareness (in other words: not a clue !) on his behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

It is my understanding that the driver on the main carriageway has right of way....however out of courtesy I would have moved into the overtaking lane (if possible) to facilitate the other person merging.....either way, I would say you were well within your rights to do what you did

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

He was in the wrong. The fact that he started blowing his horn at you when he was in the wrong says a lot about him. He should have sped up or slowed down in order to merge in front or behind you. You were right to stay at the same speed as if you slowed down and he slowed down as well the two of ye would still be on a collision course. It is up to the merging driver to adjust his speed.

Traffic merging onto a motorway must give way to traffic already on the motorway. Even if the overtaking lane is empty, drivers travelling in the driving lane are under no obligation to alter their course and move into the overtaking lane to facilitate mergers. But because of (often misplaced) courtesy this has become the "done thing" so now merging drivers think that drivers on the m-way are obliged to let them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you were doing 100 in the 100 zone, and the guy was behind you at first, he must have being going a good bit over 100 to end up beside you, so why he slowed down then to remain right beside you seems a bit odd. Granted, he was slowing to the speed limit (which he should have been doing anyway) but if he been doing the speed limit in the first place, or continued his speed until past you, the situation would have been avoided. Sounds like he was a tool to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

He was clearly in the wrong and sounds like a bit of an idiot.

However, just to clarify something, if it was the M50 slip road/on ramp at Sandyford then the limit is actually 120kph and the guy merging wasn't breaking any speed limit by pacing you at 100kph, just crap driving :(

Dyflin wrote:
    He was clearly in the wrong and sounds like a bit of an idiot.

However, just to clarify something, if it was the M50 slip road/on ramp at Sandyford then the limit is actually 120kph and the guy merging wasn't breaking any speed limit by pacing you at 100kph, just crap driving :(
    Does anyone else think that merging lane which merges first at Sandyford is quite short?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

If he merges infront of you, is that not him overtaking on the left? (sorry, is that a stupid question? :s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

Cheers lads, thats what I was thinking.

It is the slip road just after the limit drops to 100 heading northbound. there are two slips here the other car was in the closest one so they still had another to go if they needed it!
    It is just so annoying to get a muppet like this when there is so little traffic around. When it is busy, like on the way home I always facilitate people trying to merge by slowing slightly so they can merge in and we all get home.

DanThe wrote:
    Cheers lads, thats what I was thinking.

It is the slip road just after the limit drops to 100 heading northbound. there are two slips here the other car was in the closest one so they still had another to go if they needed it!
    Are you talking about the Balinteer junction at the top of the hill? here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wossack wrote:
    If he merges infront of you, is that not him overtaking on the left? (sorry, is that a stupid question? :s)

If he's way behind you as he gets onto the slip road and then accelerates like mad to slip in in front of you ...yes, that's overtaking on the left and unneccesary ...he should just slot in behind.

But if he is in front of you as he comes onto the slip there is no need to let you pass first before he joins the motorway.

simple, really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Out of common courtesy, I would always pull over to the overtaking lane to let the car in the slip lane onto the motorway, as I would always expect another driver to do for me. The OP said there was only 2 cars there so there was no reason courtesy could have been shown here. The OP didn't do anything wrong but it can cause aggravating circumstances when you don't show courtesy to other drivers and that's why the other driver was so p***ed off.

It's the one at the top of the hill heading northbound, Fletch You have way to much time on your hands!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's Ballinteer so, not Sandyford, definitely 100 kph (although you wouldn't believe it...)

It is short (and steep) but there is a second/climbing lane which is extra long for heavier vehicles to get up to speed. Lots of chances to merge.

DanThe wrote:
    It's the one at the top of the hill heading northbound, Fletch You have way to much time on your hands!
    Mad busy here in work ;)

deman wrote:
    Out of common courtesy, I would always pull over to the overtaking lane to let the car in the slip lane onto the motorway, as I would always expect another driver to do for me. The OP said there was only 2 cars there so there was no reason courtesy could have been shown here. The OP didn't do anything wrong but it can cause aggravating circumstances when you don't show courtesy to other drivers and that's why the other driver was so p***ed off.
    No way. The OP had priority and the fact that there were only 2 cars on the motorway made it a trivial matter for the merging driver to merge without inconveniencing anyone. The merging driver showed an ignorance of the rules and a lack of courtesy by doing what he did.

No merging driver should "expect" any other driver to move into the overtaking lane to faciliate them. Also when you say you always pull into the overtaking lane to let mergers in I presume you also meant "when safe to do so without impeding drivers already in the overtaking lane".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

deman wrote:
    The OP didn't do anything wrong but it can cause aggravating circumstances when you don't show courtesy to other drivers and that's why the other driver was so p***ed off.

The other driver wasn't showing any courtesy in un-necessarily trying to barge his way onto the Motorway, when he could have easily slowed down or speeded up a tad and merged properly. Why do you think his lack of courtesy somehow trumps the OP's, when the OP has the rules of the road on his side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

BrianD3 wrote:
    No way. The OP had priority and the fact that there were only 2 cars on the motorway made it a trivial matter for the merging driver to merge without inconveniencing anyone. The merging driver showed an ignorance of the rules and a lack of courtesy by doing what he did.

No merging driver should "expect" any other driver to move into the overtaking lane to faciliate them. Also when you say you always pull into the overtaking lane to let mergers in I presume you also meant "when safe to do so without impeding drivers already in the overtaking lane".

Seconded! Don't worry about it OP, he was just being an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

phutyle wrote:
    The other driver wasn't showing any courtesy in un-necessarily trying to barge his way onto the Motorway, when he could have easily slowed down or speeded up a tad and merged properly. Why does his lack of courtesy somehow trump the OP's, when the OP has the rules of the road on his side?

sometimes people question themselves..especially if they are learners - i do it sometimes too, especially when somebody blows the horn at me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Why would you pull over to the overtaking lane? Is the other person cmopletly incapable of merging into traffic ? It causes totally unneccessary conjestion in the overtaking lane. The OP did nothing wrong, it is because so many people pull into the overtaking lane that the driver in the other car was probably under the impression that you should get the **** out of his way.

I can appreciate the courtesy, but it's totally misplaced. I am well capable of merging into traffic, safely. I do not need other motorists to change their posistioning for me.
    TK

I see this sort of sh1t all the time. It is unbeliveable who bad people in this country are at merging. Take the Celbridge interchange on the M4 heading east. Big long downhill slip road, ample time for 99% of cars to get up to a decent speed before merging. Yet you still get idiots trying to merge into the side or front of your car when you're doing 120 km/h and they've doing 70 or 80 km/h and there are hundreds of metres of clear road in front and behind you for them to merge into . But no they want the EXACT piece of road that you're on and then flash/beep you for not facilitating them!

Sometimes I will give these morons a pre-emptive blast of the horn (to make them aware of my presence :)) before they try merging into the side of my car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Tbh from what I see on a daily basis, people in this country cannot merge.

Anyone who has the misfortune of being behind a pentioner in a Micra attempting to join the M50 knows what i'm talking about.

Thinking they are being 'safe' by joining a max speed 120Km/h road at 50km/h.

simple guide ::

Enter the on-ramp
    Increase speed of vehicle to the speed of the traffic
    Find an open spot.
    Merge.

However seeing as this country does not teach you how to do this while paying for lessons nor is required during your test I cannot hold the people at fault.

I suppose I wanted the general view on this, I have been driving 12 years now, But I would hate to think I am always right and I couldn't be mistaken in my understanding of some situations.
    Thanks for your input everyone. The misplaced courtesy is annoying alright, But at least they are trying to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Rabies wrote:
    The driver on the slip road is joining your lane, they need to join at a safe time.
    There is no obligation for cars in the left lane to move over for those joining, although it is usually done out of courtesy.

There is an obligation... rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seanie M wrote:
    There is an obligation... rules of the road.

Advanced driving instructors recommend it but I don't recall seeing anything about it in the RoR.

Driving in both Cork and Dublin, I noticed Dublin seems to have more of a slow mergers problem. I rarely have to move over when driving in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Seanie M

Section 10 of the ROR has no mention whatsoever of an obligation of the driver in the driving lane of the Motorway to move to the Overtaking lane. The Merging/Acceleration lane is there for that very reason. You gain sufficient speed to join and merge safely.

Read here : http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/rules-of-the-road.pdf . Motorway driving starts at page 75, read how to join and merge correctly.

And here : http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/motorway.html#3
    TK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

BrianD3 wrote:
    Yet you still get idiots trying to merge into the side or front of your car when you're doing 120 km/h and they've doing 70 or 80 km/h and there are hundreds of metres of clear road in front and behind you for them to merge into . But no they want the EXACT piece of road that you're on and then flash/beep you for not facilitating them!

Sometimes I will give these morons a pre-emptive blast of the horn (to make them aware of my presence :)) before they try merging into the side of my car

If you know there's traffic going to merge why not just give them the space to move in ? With your "pre-emptive" horn it sounds like you're almost looking for a confrontation.
    If you had moved out everyone could have just continued on happily as they were doing, remember, there's no obligation for cars to do 120k either.

Advertisement