Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is at fault?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Suppose I was sitting, waiting to be let out of a side-road onto a main road in heavy traffic.

I might *expect* a particular car to slow down and let me out.

If they don't I might mutter 'thanks a bunch' under my breath. I won't start beeping my horn and throwing abuse at them.

The merger sounds like a ignorant *balix*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"If you had moved out everyone could have just continued on happily as they were doing, remember, there's no obligation for cars to do 120k either."

It's still down to knowing how to merge correctly. Why should anyone have to move to the overtaking lane to faciliate someone to merge onto a motorway ? If they are incapable of using the road correctly, then they should not on it.

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Jip wrote:
    remember, there's no obligation for cars to do 120k either.
    Hmmmm. *some* people would have you believe that if you're not driving at (or above) the speed limit, you shouldn't be on the road.....

I think the OP is technically right in this case : it is up to the car coming onto the road to do so safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

BrianD3 wrote:
    No way. The OP had priority

I didn't say the OP didn't have priority. Read my post again. I said that the OP did nothing wrong.
    BrianD3 wrote:
    Also when you say you always pull into the overtaking lane to let mergers in I presume you also meant "when safe to do so without impeding drivers already in the overtaking lane".

And of course that's what I meant.
    phutyle wrote:
    The other driver wasn't showing any courtesy in un-necessarily trying to barge his way onto the Motorway, when he could have easily slowed down or speeded up a tad and merged properly. Why do you think his lack of courtesy somehow trumps the OP's, when the OP has the rules of the road on his side?

I completely agree. The guy was an a$$hole.

So why is everyone trying to jump down my throat when I seem to be only one of the few drivers here that shows courtesy to other drivers!!

edit - and it's not only for the sake of courtesy. I don't know if this driver has seen me or not, so if he pulls out, he doesn't hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

deman wrote:
    So why is everyone trying to jump down my throat when I seem to be only one of the few drivers here that shows courtesy to other drivers!!
    How do you know it's courtesy? When merging I prefer if drivers already on the M-way keep a steady speed and stay where they are rather than jump into the overtaking lane to let me in. Often the drivers that move over end up getting "stranded" in the overtaking lane going slower than drivers who have just merged into the driving lane. Overtaking on the left is now a distinct possibility and both the merger and the "courteous" driver are annoyed.

The biggest courtesy that drivers on the mainline can show to mergers is
    a) don't break the speed limit
    b) leave sufficent space between you and the vehicle in front
    c) use common sense and extra consideration if it's a HGV trying to merge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jip wrote:
    With your "pre-emptive" horn it sounds like you're almost looking for a confrontation.
    Obviously you've never ridden a motorcycle.
    The number of drivers who change lane without looking TO THEIR SIDE is incredible. Looking in your mirrors is never enough on its own. Not that I think too many Dublin drivers even bother with that.
    If you had moved out everyone could have just continued on happily as they were doing, remember, there's no obligation for cars to do 120k either.
    There is a phrase which describes expecting other drivers to move out of your way when you do not have right of way over them.
    It is called 'driving without due consideration' and it is an offence.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

layke wrote:
    simple guide ::

Enter the on-ramp
    Increase speed of vehicle to the speed of the traffic
    Find an open spot.
    Merge
    layke - many of us drive vehicles which are incapable of, or not legally permitted to drive at the maximum motorway speed limit. Trucks and single decker buses are limited to 80kph, double deck buses and vehicles towing another are limited to 64kph.

If I'm driving a truck at the limit (80kph) and the traffic on the motorway is doing 120kph, how do you suggest I "increase speed of vehicle to the speed of the traffic" to merge? If no one moves over to allow me in, do I go to the end of the slip road and stop? :eek:

If no one moves over to allow me in, do I go to the end of the slip road and stop?
    Yes, actually, until a safe gap emerges.
    The alternative is to move into an unsafe gap and hope someone who you should be yielding to will chicken out.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

BrianD3 wrote:
    Often the drivers that move over end up getting "stranded" in the overtaking lane going slower than drivers who have just merged into the driving lane.

I'm sorry for being so ignorant of the general meaning of this thread but I was talking about the OP's original situation.
    DanThe wrote:
    there were no cars around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

deman wrote:

Because you said:
    deman wrote:
    but it can cause aggravating circumstances when you don't show courtesy to other drivers

Which to me sounded like a justification of the actions of the other driver. If not showing courtesy to someone (while following the rules of the road) causes that kind of aggressive behaviour, then other dirver has much more serious issues than not knowing how to merge peroperly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

ninja900 wrote:
    Obviously you've never ridden a motorcycle.
    The number of drivers who change lane without looking TO THEIR SIDE is incredible. Looking in your mirrors is never enough on its own. Not that I think too many Dublin drivers even bother with that.

Was the OP on a motorbike ?
    I haven't said the OP was in the wrong but he obviously went out of his way to prove to someone that was in the wrong that they were in the wrong. He was aware the driver wasn't backing down either so all he simply had to do was move into the outside and continue on his way without trying to make a point.

And someone claimed that people who usually move into the outside in this case find themselves stranded out there. Don't think so, these people are probably more aware of their surroundings and find it quite easily to get back to where they want to.

And that's some assumption to make, everyone driving in Dublin are Dubs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

Jip wrote:
    I haven't said the OP was in the wrong but he obviously went out of his way to prove to someone that was in the wrong that they were in the wrong. He was aware the driver wasn't backing down either so all he simply had to do was move into the outside and continue on his way without trying to make a point.

Well you are wrong there, As I said in my original post that I didnt do anything, just continued on my way along the MOTORWAY.

I know, but you were aware he was matching your speed along side you and wasn't going to back down. I find it hard sometimes myself when someones acting an eejit but in some instances such a this one it's better and safer just to let them on their way.

Jip wrote:
    No, but you seemed to be criticising him for giving a 'pre-emptive honk'. That's the purpose of the horn - to warn other road users of your presence before a collision becomes inevitable
    On a bike frequent use of the horn is essential in traffic because drivers simply don't look properly. If I followed your advice I wouldn't last long.
    I haven't said the OP was in the wrong but he obviously went out of his way to prove to someone that was in the wrong that they were in the wrong.
    He did nothing wrong, the other driver was entirely in the wrong, and giving in to bullies only encourages them. The OP has a duty to avoid a collision if at all possible, even if the other driver is in the wrong, but otherwise is under no obligation to give way to an aggressive, bullying, driver with a rather odd interpretation of the rules of the road.
    He was aware the driver wasn't backing down either so all he simply had to do was move into the outside and continue on his way without trying to make a point.
    Making a point is exactly the right thing to do.

Ninja, there was no inevitable collision, both were aware of each other but neither wanted to back down. As you said yourself, the OP has a duty to avoid a collision and he could have just simply moved to the outside and avoided making a point which you seem to think was the correct thing to do and saved the horn blowing and agravtion.

"If I followed your advice I wouldn't last long", what advice ? I didn't give you any.

Jip wrote:
    Ninja, there was no inevitable collision, both were aware of each other but neither wanted to back down.
    The Rules of the Road are very clear on who should have 'backed down' though and it wasn't the OP.
    As you said yourself, the OP has a duty to avoid a collision and he could have just simply moved to the outside and avoided making a point
    Yes, he could have, but why should he?
    This is just another form of the thinking that some car drivers seem to have in relation to bicycle or motorbike incidents. "If they weren't there I wouldn't have hit them" - but they've a RIGHT to be there and a driver changing lanes has a duty to yield to all traffic in that lane
    "If I followed your advice I wouldn't last long", what advice ? I didn't give you any.
    The advice that horn blowing to warn someone who may be unaware of your presence is 'aggressive' and somehow wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The only reason there are rules of the roads, and guidlines, is to avoid accidents. If you can avoid an accident, or the possibility of one, then that is the safest and most sensible thing to do !

It is clear that the OP was NOT in the wrong however when dealing with an assh0le such as the guy trying to merge, you should compensate for his stupidity and take the safest course of action.

It is not up to anyone to teach lessons, make people wake up, or blow their horns at anyone else.

Assume everyone is an idiot and avoid everything you can !

IMO the government really need to launch a campaign informing people of how to drive on motorways, merge and negotiate roundabouts because clearly folk out there feel they now have some sort of right to vent their anger on the roads !

Dont forget they will be on our doorsteps before long !

ninja900 wrote:
    The advice that horn blowing to warn someone who may be unaware of your presence is 'aggressive' and somehow wrong.

FFS, last time on this, both drivers were aware of each other, this thread has nothing to do with motorbikers and 'cagers' not being aware of them so get that chip off your shoulder, and regardless of who was in the right or wrong the matter could have easily been avoided.

This is like saying "Why didn't you avoid the car heading towards you on the wrong side of the road ", "Well, why should I have, he was obviously in the wrong and by the rules of the road I was in the right so I remained where I was to prove that point", "what about the motorbike then ? "

Mercmad, someone with a bit of common sense at last. There's alot of self righteousness on these boards when it comes to anything to do with driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Mercmad, someone with a bit of common sense at last. There's alot of self righteousness on these boards when it comes to anything to do with driving

.........ohh yeah thats me !

Now.........out into the traffic to kick some a55 !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Well lads,

I'm going to agree with Jip and MercMad on this one.

OP, never fear, you were entirely legal staying in position, and if that driver had merged into the side of your car you would have nothing to worry about. That driver sounds like an a$$hole who just doesn't know how to merge properly.

However, there's a courtesy there. If, for example, a truck was doing the 80kph it's allowed, and is running out of space on the slip and needs to merge, and you were in the driving lane, then while it's entirely legal to stay where you are, it's terribly inconsiderate to let him run out of lane and make him stop. Think about the amount of effort it's going to take for him to merge properly starting from stop..in somewhat moderate to busy traffic, that's going to take him a while - whereas all you had to do was show a little consideration and move over (obviously provided it's safe to do so) - almost effortless on your part but makes a huge difference to the other driver - so why not?

Then there's the case you were faced with, where the other driver was in a car and you both wern't backing down...There's an obligation to avoid an accident, or drive defensively. Would you stand your ground against a truck who was overtaking and was on your side of road and you saw he wasnt going to get back in before you collided with him? If you had the hard shoulder available would you think "Nah, i'm right, i'm going to stay here..the law is on my side"?

Let me tell you something, you can be right...but then you can be dead right...I'd prefer to know i was right without getting the chance to prove it in all circumstances

• Advertisement

Jip, MercMad and TouchVirus, I wish there were more people on the roads with your attitudes.

I especially liked
    Jip wrote:
    This is like saying "Why didn't you avoid the car heading towards you on the wrong side of the road ", "Well, why should I have, he was obviously in the wrong and by the rules of the road I was in the right so I remained where I was to prove that point", "what about the motorbike then ? "

There are too many pig ignorant drivers on the road that make the world only Right vs. Wrong. Sometimes "Wrong" is the right thing to do.

Advertisement