Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

406 Coupe Diesel 2.2 HDI

Options
  • 22-11-2006 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

any one own one whats the pro's and con's

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pity about the car tax rate...........it'd have been better, and sold much better, as 1.9.

Nice car, though........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

b to the ollox i had forgot to look at that my Tax would be higher than my insurance 722 euro per anum

still Im interested in getting one so more info would be nice , ie actuall MPG and such not just whats on the catalog

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Beautiful car that still looks good IMO.

That engine is the one to get too. I have the same engine in a 607. It has plenty of power and loads of torque. I'd say it would be more spritely in the 406 too since it's lighter than the 607.

It's an environmentally clean engine and received lots of international praise when it was launched because it was the cleanest diesel of it's time. It's smooth, but actually takes a bit of getting used to because the gearing seems a bit unusual. To get away quickly from the line can be tricky because first gear mated with where the power is seems a bit off, so a lot of the time your take away wallows. It's manageable once you figure it out but it's not ideal. You may not find the same characteristic in the 406 though.

On long out of town drives, for example, Limerick to Letterkenny I will easily get 48 mpg. In town I'll get about 36mpg, but with my driving I am averaging 41 mpg which I find great.

well live 22 miles form work so 44 round trip every day on main road no city driving, Currently getting 39mpg in an integra but its starting to show its age and with the amount of other stupid driving I do a diesel is the way to go and the coupe caught my eye , Going to try and get one in the UK,

Thanks for the replies so far keep them comming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AlanD wrote:
    Beautiful car that still looks good IMO

Totally agree. Still looking fantastic even after 8 years. In line with the great Peugeot tradition of coupes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

My friend used to drive one about 6 years ago. It was the 3ltr version and had the reg 98 D 406. :D

Lovely car but should have been quicker for a 3ltr. Still looks nicer than most cars on the road today. :)

actually anyone know when the diesel came out was it 01 or 02, Cause the prices here are insane. Def going to get one Come Feb or march.Funny my insurance will actually go down.

so my integra will be on sale then . on the cheap of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Honest John website is great for info including problems and recalls etc

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Joeface wrote:
    actually anyone know when the diesel came out was it 01 or 02, Cause the prices here are insane. Def going to get one Come Feb or march.Funny my insurance will actually go down.

so my integra will be on sale then . on the cheap of course :D

Fantastic looking car, but with the typical peugeot problems. Was looking at the same model a few months ago, ended up not bothering for the following reasons:

a) Very rare to find one for sale.
    b) All diesels will have higher mileage than the equivalent petrol.
    c) Due to (a) they are extremely over-priced (every example I came across was nearly double the 2.0 model).

It would have been cheaper for me to purchase the 3.0 v6, even with the added insurance/tax/petrol it would take me three years to match the diesels price ... the 2.0 was even cheaper, but reviews never put it down as a fun car to drive.

If you want something fun & diesel and have the cash to spare, I'd go with the Golf GT 150BHP version... boring to look at, but a great drive.

• Advertisement

just a note re: 3.0 cars - in general....

Whilst they absolutely are good value, secondhand, from a vehicle point of view, and that, in toto, the costs are not probibitive from a juice point of view, the looney tunes car tax (Eur1343 p.a.) means that you cannot have any expectation of even a modest return on your spend, when it comes time to sell it. Write the car to ZERO after 3 years. If you can do that, then lash away.

Otherwise, the annual tax will quite quickly exceed the value of the car, and nobody, but nobody, wants those...............

If the car tax was in any way reasonable, I'd buy a 3.0 tomorrow. It's why I'm happy - for now - with my E200K petrol.........the premium for the exact same car, same spec, in diesel (2.2) when I bought mine, was Eur5k+.........that's a lot of juice.........., and I only do 5k miles a year............

Ode To The Motorist

I'd go for the 3.0l petrol myself too. Much better value for money than the diesel and a good bit of poke in the V6. Easier to find cheap high spec ones in the UK too
    galwaytt wrote:
    the looney tunes car tax (Eur1343 p.a.)

It's €1109 per annum as it is <3000cc. So that's only €387 more than the diesel. So if OP doesn't do a huge mileage, it is worth considering

Don't remind me of the tax, I'll be paying my fourth €1343 in a row in a few months

Anyway

i would take the 3.0 V6 but i do have quite high mileage.500 a week would be far wrong and paying for petrol for that wont really be worth it and 44-48mpg i will be able get form the 2.2hdi is will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Friend has a '98 V6, brought in from England earlier this year. Doing country spins, he gets around 30mpg which is not bad in my book. And the soundtrack is soooooo nice....:p

Joeface wrote:
    i would take the 3.0 V6 but i do have quite high mileage.500 a week

With that kinda mileage, I think you're right going for the diesel

all this talk of 406 coupe's is all well and good if everything im planning goes well, but as a fall back since nothing ever goes smoothly and I have to have a diesel what are The Volvo S40 Diesels like pref 115BHP version and dont say old man car .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have you considered one of these?

clicky here

I've never driven a diesel version, so I don't really know what they're like.
    But their seats are the best in the business ...not unimportant if you're doing 500 miles per week

I am aware of the SAAB's but been witness to a couple of bad failures on saabs behalf , Like u said there very comfortable to drive in but im going to avoid them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The 2.2 HDi engine didn't arrive in the 406 coupe to Ireland until very late. It was running in the UK for a while beforehand. So the UK would be your best bet to find one. Drive one here though first to see if you like it. So the coupe was almost at it's end of life when they introduced the 2.2.

As for the 2.9 V6, I know quite a few Peugeot dealers got surprising good fuel consumption from that engine in various guises, 406 coupe, 607, etc. But with your mileage, diesel is the way to go.

Actually one thing to mention. That 2.2 engine requires some unusual maintenance at about 50k. The fluid that is used to clean the exhaust emissions needs refilling. Costs about 100 or 150 to do. Don't worry, when it's empty the car will tell you.

Thanks AlanD , thats good info to know.

hopefully feb march 07 i will get one.well

keep the pros and cons comming

• Advertisement
Advertisement