Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB is so bad, i dont know which company to choose?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im currently living around Parnell St and am considering connecting up to BB. The thing is i have had experiences and have seen people frustrated, with various BB companies and in my oppinion it is very hard to find a perfect BB company that has it all;
    1. Technical support that answer the phone
    2. Reliable connection
    3. Speeds that you pay for

unfortunately for us our phone line is not connected in the apartment meaning that we might have to go for wireless, unless we want to wait for weeks maybe months for eircom to get their act together!

But in reading all the posts here and comparing all the different services offered, i still cannot make up my mind on which service to choose! Can anyone please advise if they know about good services in the DUBLIN 1 area. Here's what i was thinkin,

1. Digiweb
    I had a look at digiweb metro and it seemed like a good package, however i believe you need a phone line as it is not wireless, so then i checked out digiweb wireless, which turns out to be rediculously priced for the atrocious download speeds you get!

2.Clearwire I looked at clearwire, which again seems pricey €50 for a 2mb line! also i then read posts saying that Clearwire like nearly every other service provider has sh*te technical support, and a lot of people were having problems with connection.

3. IBB: To be honest i didnt want to consider this option at all, but seen as we cudnt get DSL, i have to consider wireless suppliers! I know thousands of people have problems with IBB and like other ISP's they have crap technical support and from what i hear you have to pay for a service you cant use and you cant break the contract. So im very wary of this! However they have good prices and packages (if they work). And also i have a friend in the artane area who claims he has IBB and has never had a problem and gets perfect BB.

~Can anyone (maybe livin in dub1) pls advise on what they think would be the best service, takin into account reliability + speed!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Metro is wireless but comes with a port into which you can PLUG a phone.

IBB have improved dramatically in many respects as long as you get Breeze not Ripwave . If they sold Ripwave a sa fast dialup substitute I would campaign to have that sticky removed on top.

Metro and IBB Breeze are your options 1 and 2 .

Clearwire are best avoided completely , they are the 'new ' IBB :( They do not deliver a service and then lie to their customers about what they are doing to the network. By the time you realise Clearwire have comprehensively shafted you they will have you in a 2 year contract.

NTL _may_ work where you are but their support has unfortunately evaporated since they announced they were closing it down next March . Shame, they were great until this summer and now they are collapsing in a heap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

bazpaul wrote:
    unfortunately for us our phone line is not connected in the apartment meaning that we might have to go for wireless, unless we want to wait for weeks maybe months for eircom to get their act together!

If the phone line was ever connected then it's free and quick to reconnect it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Quite simply, there is no company in this country that currently has good prices, good service, and good support concurrently.

It's a "pick any two of the three" scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul

Thanks sponge,

Thats gas, i didnt know IBB were gettin better, is it possible to get through to their technical support and are they helpful? Because there is no way im paying for a crap service, so i want to be able to get through if i want lodge complaints. NTL said that BB wasnt available in my apt block, but then again on these forums ppl say just to ring em again and another cust agent might say differently!

Why is Ibb breeze better than ripwave? Do you know how reliable the connection would be on parnell street, Would i be right in thinkin that in town you would get a good connection because of all the masts..etc. Also i dont get why the Digiweb site has Metro and then Wireless in different sections if as you say Metro is wireless.

Also how reliable do you think Metro would be in Parnell st.

I suppose its atoss up between the two, but i really cant decide unless i hear from someone in the area who has a good connection!!

CuLT wrote:
    Quite simply, there is no company in this country that currently has good prices, good service, and good support concurrently.

It's a "pick any two of the three" scenario.

Dam straight!!

If i was Delorus O' Riordan with all her millions, i'd try create the Ultimate BB company, could you imagine the amount of customers a reliable ISP woud get, evryone would be switching over!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

bazpaul wrote:
    Dam straight!!

If i was Delorus O' Riordan with all her millions, i'd try create the Ultimate BB company, could you imagine the amount of customers a reliable ISP woud get, evryone would be switching over!
    And she would be out quite a few million :)

If it was easily financially feasible to do this, every company would be doing it. It's just unfortunate that companies have to trade off one for the other.

They are all straining at the bit trying to create that ideal system, after all, whichever company cracks that wins the broadband market.

bazpaul wrote:
    Thats gas, i didnt know IBB were gettin better, is it possible to get through to their technical support and are they helpful? Because there is no way im paying for a crap service, so i want to be able to get through if i want lodge complaints.
    well they are, why not ring them, dial the support option and breeze if offered and see> If you DO GET a human , not in Bangalore either and fairly quickly, then tell us you did.

That will immediately put IBB ahead of BT (recently) and NTL (recently) in the support business becuase IBB have humans ansering the phone in support nowadays.

If you get someone in Bangalore thats not support :( its someone answering the phone and reading a script.
    Why is Ibb breeze better than ripwave? Do you know how reliable the connection would be on parnell street, Would i be right in thinkin that in town you would get a good connection because of all the masts..etc. Also i dont get why the Digiweb site has Metro and then Wireless in different sections if as you say Metro is wireless.
    the laws of physics favour breeze , metro is 2nd generation digiweb wireless but they have legacy customers still on the older stuff and simply called wireless.

Parnell St depends on the height of your apartment I suppose , it probably wont work if you live in the basement of that strip club .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Breeze and Ripwave are completly different technology. Ripwave is really a 200Kbps WiFi style thing using builtin indoor aerial. Breeze is outdoor Infrastructure Wireless product using outdoor aerial that can deliver speed comparable to basic DSL packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm just around the corner from you in Green Street (depending on what end of Parnell Street you're on) and I have NTL cable broadband. It's not perfect but it still might be a good option for you, if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Metro is different animal again and unlike the others separates the Wireless Link and the Modem. The Metro Wireless link RX/TX is built into the aerial and can be used in the future with different higher perfomance modems. It can achieve better speeds than DSL, but alas, on Air contention limits it to about 20 times faster than 3G's on air contention.

DSL contention is entirely artifical to save eircom money. ALL Wireless system s have an inherent contention as the spectrum/time/codespace is shared.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys all informative stuff!

Well i didnt know that IBB were finally gettin their act together and sorting out their support! In my family home we had BT and yes as you were saying sponge their support has gone to sh*t! i spent hours on the phone waiting to get through to BT support. In the end my Dad just got it disconnected! which was a shame because BT had worked for us perfectly for nearly 2 years!

My apt in town is on the 4th floor and if an aerial was put on my roof it would be facing the ambassador and side streets of parnell st so i'd say i would get good signal!

Also, i would presume that you dont have to have a big aerial out on ur roof! if i had the aerial at my 4th floor window in line of sight, would i still get good connection, or would i be better off simply puttin it right out onto the roof! Also when IBB come out to install the dish do they bolt it to the roof and drill holes in walls and stuff!!! cuz im rentin this place, i dont own it!

finally lets say i do get IBB, and they come out hook it up, show me the great connection, then i hand over cash and were disco! What happends if the connection drops and i cant get through to support! Do i have to file complaints before i cancel my account! can i just cancel the direct debit str8 out!!

Now Baz!

Did you do what I told you to do, namely ring IBB support first 1890 564 456 to see if you get a sentient human being who is not just a script reader to answer a question .

eg. "The square aerial you install, where should the writing be on the front, top or bottom " ??

you will know if they ever saw one like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

i dont suppose you're one of the unlucky many that has just moved into greeg court on parnell street?

if so, i can help!

how , and whats wrong with it ???? not a Sky Conway site I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Sponge Bob wrote:
    how , and whats wrong with it ???? not a Sky Conway site I hope!

how? i have 8mb of uncontended broadband sweetness and i'm willing to share.

and what's wrong with it? i moved in a few months back and i've had nothing but problems getting a phoneline in. badly wired apartments, badly wired basement with a badly labelled patch panel that doesn't allow for easy cross-connects. and to top it all off, a local eircom engineer that hasn't a clue of anything except how to snip cables ;)

Rang them there, was on the phone for 15 mins, they said that ther outages in newbridge and city-west so expect long delays! so i just hung up! im in work so cant stay on phone for ages.

sponge by script reader you mean, some tard that doesnt know sh*t about computers who just tells you the same old sh*t about how to solve simple problems with connection!!

yeh i got them when ringin BT, those people are so annoying, because the problem with our BT was that it worked during day and not at all after 6! and ofcourse they dont have scripts to solve that!

ahhhhhhh:mad:

Im so pissed off with this sh*t, i know im gonna sign up and immediately have problems!! i can feel the stress already!

is a problem-free, reliable 3mb line to much to ask for these days???

What i need is someone with IBB around O'Connell st to let me know how their service is! Anyone???
    :confused:

preilly79 wrote:
    i dont suppose you're one of the unlucky many that has just moved into greeg court on parnell street?

if so, i can help!

Nope, moved into Hill St off parnell, on the east side of O'Connell st (not UGC side)

thanks for the offer though anyway, there might be a way we cud run a cable down the pavement, across o'connell st and up to my gaf! :D

The cable would probably get knicked by scobes!

ha ha ha!! lol, what a f*ckin joke!!

Rang IBB there and they dont install on apt blocks! However the sales guy was dying to offer me the great ripwave package, after which i told him where to go!

So thats it then, NTL doesnt serve that area, IBB dont either, i dont have a phone line so DSL is out, it looks like i'll have to go back to old days of the internet!!

***Takes out makeshift phone consisting of two cups with string attached to both ends***

I wonder if i can connect this up to my laptop!!! :confused:

Seriously, a word for the wise,
    JUST LEAVE IRELAND, GO SOMEWHERE WHERE PEOPLE COMPLAIN ENOUGH THAT COMPANIES STRIVE TO MAKE THEIR SERVICE THE BEST! I HATE THIS BACKWARD COUNTRY!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

LOOKIT

You live just off the main street in our great capital city .

Send an email to Noel Dempsey and he will sort out some BB just for you, minister.dempsey@dcmnr.ie and info@noeldempsey.ie as well. According to Noels site you have plenty of choice , lots of satellite operators gagging for business , thats http://broadband.gov.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

bazpaul wrote:
    ha ha ha!! lol, what a f*ckin joke!!

Rang IBB there and they dont install on apt blocks! However the sales guy was dying to offer me the great ripwave package, after which i told him where to go!

So thats it then, NTL doesnt serve that area, IBB dont either, i dont have a phone line so DSL is out, it looks like i'll have to go back to old days of the internet!!

***Takes out makeshift phone consisting of two cups with string attached to both ends***

I wonder if i can connect this up to my laptop!!! :confused:

Seriously, a word for the wise,
    JUST LEAVE IRELAND, GO SOMEWHERE WHERE PEOPLE COMPLAIN ENOUGH THAT COMPANIES STRIVE TO MAKE THEIR SERVICE THE BEST! I HATE THIS BACKWARD COUNTRY!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

well its not it then really

have you tried digiweb for wireless?

can you get magnet?

if you are that desperate, can you not just get a phoneline in and get DSL?

you seem to moan an awful lot about companies and you arent even their customer

• Advertisement
Advertisement