Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really, What are my options?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm jumping in on the "getting advice" mood thats flying around!

I have an Eircom Phone Line.

I have Digital TV throught NTL.

I have a 2MB Broadband through my Digital NTL Package.

I am only getting 60-80k speeds for the last 4 months.

I live in Tallaght and a guy in NTL told me that they know about the problem in Tallaght (more connections than they can handle) but there is no plans to fix it in the near future.

So what do I do? I dont want wireless, I only need 2MB download but would like 512k upload (or 1MB). As for Caps, I'd be ok with a 40GB.

Any advice?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

IP line.

Look at it logically:

A) You have NTL. This is not going to be fixed anytime soon, so this is discounted.
    B) For some unknowable reason you do not want wireless. That's out.
    C) Current DSL technology cannot provide you with what you are looking for.

Therefore, your only option is a leased line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

IP line ... ok here comes my ignorance.

Any ideas where I could find out about a leased line?

And the reason I dont want wireless is .. actually I'm not sure from reading what I have here IBB aren't great.

If there is an obvious solution I'm missing someone please slap me.

It's just that I think you're ruling out your only viable option by ruling out wireless.

An IP line is a synchronous 1:1 contention ratio product generally supplied to businesses. There is very fast action time on problems/faults and good technical support.

The 1Mbit version of this service costs roughly ten to fifteen thousand euro per annum.

The other, unlikely, option is SDSL. This may be available to you, your best bet would probably be to call eircom business sales and ask them if you can avail of it.

Ok so taking wireless back into it (that under stuff is very expensive for home use), anyone have any dealings with IBB out in Tallaght, or anyone else?

Personally, I was using IBB off the tallaght mast for a year and had few problems. Was down the odd time, but that's not unusual for any residential product.

The only reason I left IBB was because I no longer needed the large upload bandwidth.

Realistically, the only reason home users want high upload speed is for bittorrent and other filesharing applications, and there are other means of torrenting if you are tech savvy and have a bit of money to splash out on a dedicated server.

VoIP is perfectly servicable over standard ADSL, and Videocalls are generally "ok".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BT in some areas do SDSL.

IBB have 3 quite different wireless systems. One is really a wireless internet, not broadband, the other two are quite good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

6th wrote:
    Ok so taking wireless back into it (that under stuff is very expensive for home use), anyone have any dealings with IBB out in Tallaght, or anyone else?

I used IBB in Tallaght and it took about 15 years off my life, if you think NTL are bad, IBB know more about customer disservice than NTL will ever know. :mad:

I have 2MB NTL connection in Tallaght and have no (reaching for a wooden object) problems.

Yeah NTL told me some are lucky in Tallaght ... others "not so much".

What about getting it with Eircom through my phoneline?

Advertisement