Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Router for gaming?

• 22-11-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am trying to game at home using a DI-524 router for my 3MB Digiweb signal. Playing the likes of Battlefield 2142 I am experiencing "jerking" (steady!) or slight pauses where the screen seems to skip a few frames forward; I guess this is a latency problem. I am wondering if this is down to my router? Is there much of a difference between routers when it comes to gaming?

I have the latest firmware updates, my wireless signal is excellent and when I measure speed, both upload and download speeds are where they should be with 99% quality of service.

When I did some quick searching I cam across this router

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321816

the DGL4300 which describes itself as a "gaming" router. Having read the reviews though, it seems that this product would be most useful managing gaming while there is other traffic on the network, not a problem for me. Would I be likely to find an improvement in my gaming if I bought it? It's pricey enough, at 140Euros that I would rather know beforehand!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I'm probably repeating myself here but have a look here: http://www.wimax-eu.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Mayhem,

Are you using this router for gaming? If so, how is your experience with it? As a general question, what do I need to look for in a router vis a vis gaming?

Thanks for the response

As I am one of the few people that are not "into" gaming I have not used this for gaming specifically.
    However I am aware that for a wireless router to be suitable for gaming you need to look for three points:

- stable connection
    - high data throughput
    - low latency

I have worked/tested/played around with most wireless hardware on the market at the moment and have not seen anything that outperforms the Ruckus gear.
    This link will give you a good idea of how it works.
    Basically it uses multiple antennas directed by "smart" antenna software combined with data analysis and priorization to establish multiple hugh throughput datastreams concurently.
    This allows you to for instance play games, stream audio or video and make VOIP calls at the same time...

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Thanks Mayhem,

Have had a good look and will place an order

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fergt90

mayhem# wrote:
    I'm probably repeating myself here but have a look here: http://www.wimax-eu.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38

E.

Sorry Guys to be jumping in on this thread - quick question aimed at Mayhem!
    I just got Digiweb 3mb installed in the house but want to get a wireless router so we can use in several rooms. The thing that worries me is that one of the lads has an older iMac which doesn't have wireless. Is it possible to get a wireless router that we can plug the iMac into directly and will work wireless for the other PC's in the house? Just don't want to buy one and then find it can't be done! Cheers!

• Advertisement

Off course you can, plug the iMac into one of the Ethernet ports and connect the rest wireless-ly.
    As long as you have the network correctly configured this should be no problem...

E.

Advertisement