Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season Over - Your verdict

• 22-11-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

now that the season is over bar the Cup final what are your views on the following for your club

Player of the Season:
    Under-Performer of the Season:
    Best Signing:
    Worst Signing:
    Best Game:
    Worst Game:
    Most Impressive Youngster:
    Goal of the Season:
    Most Consistent Performer:

Highlight of the Season:
    Lowlight:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

irish football i take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ What do you think? Is Skys premirship over yet?

CCFC

Player of the Season: Billy Woods
    Under-Performer of the Season: The rest opf the squad bar the back 4
    Best Signing: LOL
    Worst Signing: LOL
    Best Game: Setanta Semi beating Shels
    Worst Game: Drawing at home to Derry when we should have hammered them. Losing away to Bray. Setanta Cup Final. Any game Vs UCD
    Most Impressive Youngster: Roy O Donovan
    Goal of the Season: Roys 2nd Vs Waterford
    Most Consistent Performer: Billy Woods/Dan Murray

Highlight of the Season: Beating a fancied Appollon Limassol in the CLQR1
    Lowlight: Where to start? Finishing 4th I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I was in Australia for the first half of the season, so I'll base my choices on the second half of this season, if that's ok. (I know, I know, it makes me a fair weather fan!)

Shels

Player of the Season: Wow. Ndo? Cahill? Crowe? Jason Byrne? Stuey Byrne? Owen Heary? Colin Hawkins? I'll pick.....Stuey Byrne (after doing eenie-meenie-miney-moe)

Under-Performer of the Season: Steve Williams

Best Signing: Sean Dillon, by a country mile, best signing by any team this season

Worst Signing: no-one else signed, I think, but seeing Weso sign for Livi was horrible.

Best Game: For feeling, beating Bohs last Friday to clinch the league, for performance, the six nil demolition of UCD at Tolka Park, for that special feeling, coming back from 2-0 down in Bray to win 3-2.

Worst Game: -vs- Longford in the Flansiro in October. 0-0, dire game, dire conditions, and I had to talk to Ronan|Raven at half time.:p

Most Impressive Youngster: Gary O'Neill

Goal of the Season: Heary in Drogheda.

Most Consistent Performer: Colin Hawkins

Highlight of the Season:
    Winning the League / Stuey's rant afterwards. And honourable mention to the 'Dillon me softly' song, classic.

Lowlight:Dublin City fiasco, McGuinness-gate, Derry City's broken fax machine.

county wrote:
    irish football i take it
    Yeah strange isn't it, this being an Irish website and all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

county wrote:
    irish football i take it
    yup me posting it in an irish football board was a bit of a giveaway

edit seansouth got there before me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Player of the Season: Ollie Cay-hill
    Under-Performer of the Season: Liam Kearney
    Best Signing: Sean Dillon, settled right in.
    Worst Signing: Liam Kearney
    Best Game: Other than last Friday night, beating Derry in June was crucial and the 6-0 vs UCD.
    Worst Game: The cup final in Derry.
    Most Impressive Youngster: Gary O'Neill
    Goal of the Season: Ollie Cahill vs Bray or Glen Crowe's first vs Glentoran
    Most Consistent Performer: Colin Hawkins or Ollie Cahill

Highlight of the Season: Winning the league! Also coming from two down against Derry, who had no keeper!
    Lowlight: Losing the cup final!

• Advertisement

Jesus, I forgot all about Liam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Player of the Season: Mr Joseph Ndo.
    Under-Performer of the Season: Kearney.
    Best Signing: Sean Dillon.
    Worst Signing: Kearney.
    Best Game: 3-1 away win in Drogheda. Run ragged for the first 30 mins and then destroyed them. :cool:
    Worst Game: Longford at home at the start of the season. Shocking stuff. Lucky to get a point. and how valuable it was that we did!!!! :D
    Most Impressive Youngster: Does Gary O'Neill count as a youngster???? :D
    Goal of the Season: Crowe's at home to the Glens in the SC.
    Most Consistent Performer: Colin Hawkins. Super season.

Highlight of the Season: Eh, winning the league.
    Lowlight: All the off pitch shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Player of the Season: Dave Mulcahy Hard bastard
    Under-Performer of the Season: Fahey
    Best Signing: Mulcahy he wants it more than them
    Worst Signing: Fahey just not arsed
    Best Game: 3-0 Drogs hammered them
    Worst Game: 0-3 vs Shels
    Most Impressive Youngster: Haverty
    Goal of the Season: Molloys vs Sligo
    Most Consistent Performer: Mulcahy/Molloy

Highlight of the Season: Team looked like a Pats team again /winning the cup
    Lowlight:JMC changing winning team/2 6 week mid season breaks/ losing the cup.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

county wrote:
    irish football i take it

taxi for county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I can't dont follow a team close enough to put forward my selection but my Best Game (and only game) was the 2-1 win by Shels over Bohs. Call me a fair weather fan, but I can assure you the weather on the night was inclement and not fair weather at all ! ;-)

But I wanted to comment on this:

> Worst Game:... Any game Vs UCD
    > Best Game: .... beating UCD 6-0

Its ironic, Shelbourne won the league due to goal difference and their large win against UCD was crucial, as was the win against Bray, 5-0 was it.

As a 'product' (yeah I know, its a word we dont like using for football at times but we have to live in the reality that it is an entertainment business) it makes no sense to have UCD in the league. They are just not a viable club support wise, and results such as the 6-0 when they capitulated, is perhaps another reason why they shouldn' be in it. I dont want to get on their case per se, but is anyone here a regular at Belfield, and not a student ?

Just my 2 eurocents worth.

On another topic, the off-the-field stuff is interlinked with the on-the-field stuff. I read the Ollie Byrne article in the paper over the w/e. Is a new thread warranted to discuss the financial situation at Shelbourne and other matters? For example, I understand he is still going to protest about Derry and seek a 9 pts deduction against them. That would put Cork back up to 3rd. Also, what is the situation with Tolka Park? Who owns it, I understand it will be developed. Will Shels be at Santry Stadium next season and if so, how will that affect the supporter base, at the Briogard Dearg, etc?

just some thoughts ....

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

county wrote:
    irish football i take it

Yeah madness isn't it, the audacity of some to discuss Irish football on an Irish football board. We do actually have a league in this country you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

redspider wrote:
    They are just not a viable club support wise, and results such as the 6-0 when they capitulated, is perhaps another reason why they shouldn' be in it.

Cant believe I am aboutto defend UCD in any way, shape or form here, BUT that 6-0 was a once off, it happens in every league. Sure City thumped Bay by the same margin, and City could barely score all season. Thing about UCD, is that they own their own ground, and their facilities are probably better than most in the premier division, as it currently stands. With regard to their support, well thats another issue, an issue which affects everyone outside of the bigger 5-6 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

gimmick wrote:
    Cant believe I am aboutto defend UCD in any way, shape or form here, BUT that 6-0 was a once off, it happens in every league. Sure City thumped Bay by the same margin, and City could barely score all season. Thing about UCD, is that they own their own ground, and their facilities are probably better than most in the premier division, as it currently stands. With regard to their support, well thats another issue, an issue which affects everyone outside of the bigger 5-6 clubs.

That once-off may have won Shelbourne the league. Although, that is not my main point about UCD. In terms of their facilities, wouldnt it be true to say that they get all of those paid for by the Government through the Dept of Education? I'd even hazard a guestimate that they may get more Government funds for sports (all sports) than all the other FAI clubs put together.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for UCD and other Universities playing sports and doing well, indeed I participated when I was at Uni, and if they are good enough they should be allowed to progress, but I think if any self-respecting league wants to be seen to be doing well, it shouldn't have a club like UCD in it. So maybe its a litmus test as to the standing of the league. I heard that some games at UCD only had about 40 paying to get in and there were more players and staff from the clubs than those in the stands. That is ridiculous beyond belief and isn't even at the level that many many amateur teams attain in other countries.

As I said, I dont want to come down heavy on UCD, its not their fault. Their success is perhaps a symptom.

redspider

Did you know that Socrates played in the LOI for Pegasus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

grabs coat and runs:o:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Player of the Season: Oman
    Under-Performer of the Season: Molloy
    Best Signing: emm
    Worst Signing: errrmmm
    Best Game: Demolition V Pats
    Worst Game: V Sligo in june, terrible game for us.
    Most Impressive Youngster: Hardly a youngster at this stage, Stephen O'Flynn
    Goal of the Season: Oman's first V Pats, class goal.
    Most Consistent Performer: Forde

Highlight of the Season: Taking 6 from Pats
    Lowlight: The obvious one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Player of the Season: LOL
    Under-Performer of the Season: all of them
    Best Signing: LOL
    Worst Signing: all of them
    Best Game: McGuinnessgate
    Worst Game: the rest of them
    Most Impressive Youngster: Joxer I suppose, Powell looks decent
    Goal of the Season: Devlins nongoal v Bray
    Most Consistent Performer: LOL

Highlight of the Season: selling Dalier
    Lowlight: Selling Dalier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Right. Well check my location for a start.

Enough said?

Ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

seansouth wrote:

Worst Game: Ronan|Raven at half time.:p

Surely this shold be the highlight of your season! ;)

Hobart wrote:
    Best Game: Demolition V Pats

Where you at that game? we were all over you till Brennan went off and at 2-1 we were going for 2-2 then you broke away and scored the 3rd. Derry fans were silent for best part of an hour whilst we played you off the park. This is the 3-1 your on about? Was on the sunday following the Gretna game which oddly i assumed all Derry fans would have had as their best game. Oman scored from 2 corners :|

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Rovers hearing started this morning at 11am. Anyone heard anything regarding it? Hopefully those ******* Thomas Davis will get thrown out of the mix. All they are looking for is money anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Player of the Season: Alan Kirby
    Under-Performer of the Season: Far to many to list.
    Best Signing: Daisy Brennan has played well since joining.
    Worst Signing:
    Best Game: VS Cork in the Cup.
    Worst Game: To many to list.
    Most Impressive Youngster: Wexler looked good in his first start against Pats. Ronan Brady in the under 21's
    Goal of the Season: Dan O'Connors thunderbolt against cork.
    Most Consistent Performer: Mick Dempsey played great in goal in the absense of Shay Kelly, a tie between him and Kirby.

iregk wrote:
    Rovers hearing started this morning at 11am. Anyone heard anything regarding it? Hopefully those ******* Thomas Davis will get thrown out of the mix. All they are looking for is money anyway.

No judge available, deferred till next wed, Rovers said they will be there TD havent confirmed someone will attend.

kdjac

Advertisement