Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting out a room question

Options
  • 22-11-2006 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

i have advertised to rent a room in my house and have had 3 people viewing it who all seem like perfectly reasonable people to live with. as regards to picking which person gets the room is it simply a case of me deciding which one seems the best one. My friends have suggested that as all 3 are prepared to meet the asking price regarding rent i should see if any of them are prepared to pay above and beyond the asking price but this seems a bit unfair to me to start engaging them in some sort of auction. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It would be scabby to increase the rent now in that type of auction and only lead to a bad feeling between you and your new roomie.

To rank the three that you have, which do you think would suit your style of living best?

EDIT: If you're having trouble deciding between the three of them, maybe you didn't talk to them enough. Decide the things you want to know about them and give them a quick call each.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

edanto wrote:
    It would be scabby to increase the rent now in that type of auction and only lead to a bad feeling between you and your new roomie.

To rank the three that you have, which do you think would suit your style of living best?

I agree. It would be best to decide upon your housemate based on who would best meet your living arrangements/requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a good chance that you're not the only place any of them have looked at, and since they know what rent you've specified, if you increase it they'll just tell you where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

edanto wrote:

yeah was thinking it would be a bit scabby. of the 3 people, one of them will be going home alot of weekends so that may sway my decision in their favour!

and that person iswilling to take on the room for 6 months, possibly more so thats another positive. thanks for all the feedback so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

tricky@ wrote:
    one of them will be going home alot of weekends so that may sway my decision in their favour!
    Good thinking. Been renting three rooms since the middle of the summer and my experience is that it was great at the beginning when the two I had were always gone at the weekends. Everyone needs their own space. Now two of them stay (got one more in and one of original two moved away from the area).
    Getting someone who leaves stuff as they found them would be next on my list. Something that really irritates me.

Incidentally, will you be getting your new roomie to clean up on a rota'ed basis? Does anyone else here who's renting rooms do this?

I've avoided it so far - and I'm quite happy to clean the gaff myself. What annoys me is people not leaving the kitchen the way they found it. Not a case of extra work - just 'cant give a féck' thoughtlessness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement