Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson deserves nothing

• 22-11-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I cannot contain my delight this morning. Alex Ferguson has tried his best to get Celtic knocked out of Europe but it could all backfire on him now. His decision to send half a team to Copenhagen and then a full side to Celtic really tells what was on this mans mind.

Why didn't he send the full team to Copenhagen and guarantee qualification with two games to go? It's becuase of his history with rangers.

Delighted for you Fergie. I hope you end up in the UEFA Cup!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

His dad was a staunch Celtic fan. I think he gave Celtic just a little bit more respect then he did Copenhagen, but you keep your theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

So... is this just another pointless rant then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

hawker wrote:
    I cannot contain my delight this morning. Alex Ferguson has tried his best to get Celtic knocked out of Europe but it could all backfire on him now. His decision to send half a team to Copenhagen and then a full side to Celtic really tells what was on this mans mind.

Why didn't he send the full team to Copenhagen and guarantee qualification with two games to go? It's becuase of his history with rangers.

Delighted for you Fergie. I hope you end up in the UEFA Cup!!!

I might be wrong but I reckon Alex Ferguson would have preferred to have beaten Copenhagen and not have to rely on getting a result at Celtic or the next match..just my opinion !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

has the hallmarks of one...Yes.

NEXT.....!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Alex Ferguson has a horrible history with Rangers and if was to choose between the two teams he would choose Celtic every time. OP, you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fergie is actually a Rangers fan but I agree with the 2nd sentence. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

What a pointless thread :eek: and pure fantasy too :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

If he preferred to beat Copenhagen why did he send half a team over? And if there is bad blood between him and Rangers why did he send up two young starlets up to gain experience? Why not send them to Antwerp where the rest go?

All I'm getting here is the usual Man U supporter 'what a silly post' remarks. Not one of you can offer a valid reason why he sent half a team over to Denmark. IMO surely most managers would try and qualify as early as possible and then rest players. And he knew the dates so if he had beaten Copenhagen he could have rested the big guns for Chelsea.

Whether you it's silly or ranting is your opinion but I believe my point is a valid one.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Fergie is actually a Rangers fan but I agree with the 2nd sentence. :)

You should have a read of his Auto-Biography. He doesn't have many nice things to say about the club or the people that run/ran it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

why would fergie prefer to have a full strength side for celtic knowing he has the chelsea game in the same week? fool

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote:
    why would fergie prefer to have a full strength side for celtic knowing he has the chelsea game in the same week? fool

Sure thats what I'm saying. Surely send a full team to Denmark and qualify. Then rest the bigger guns against Celtic with Chelsea game on the horizon.

I cannot understand how Utd fans would not be angry with Fergie over this. Man U have now to go into the last series of games still not having qualified when they could have qualified against Copenhagen weeks ago.

And I've read his autobiography. However I still believe he wanted to put one over on Celtic and Strachan.

That's quite the conspiracy theory. I'm more of a subscriber to the fact that he was showing Celtic more respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Perhaps SAF didnt want a repeat of Copenhagen in underestimating his opposition?

Perhaps SAF felt he needed to put a full strength side out to get a result Vs Celtic?

What a silly thread.

fade2black wrote:
    That's quite the conspiracy theory. I'm more of a subscriber to the fact that he was showing Celtic more respect.

Thats fair enough. It's you're opinion. I'll not diss your opinion by stating you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

If things do not go right against Benfia, I'd be a fairly angry Man U fan because of the antics in Denmark.

gimmick wrote:
    Perhaps SAF didnt want a repeat of Copenhagen in underestimating his opposition?

Perhaps SAF felt he needed to put a full strength side out to get a result Vs Celtic?

What a silly thread.

Is this not a forum where debates take place? Can I not post something up for discussion without the 'thats silly' and 'pointless post' jibes? Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't make it a silly one.

I don't think you know what you're talking about because you're saying that Ferguson's actions are based on personal thoughts. However, Man Utd fans are used to his antics in the CL, too many times he under estimates teams and pays the price later. The man has been a giant for Man utd but this is the one down side to his managerial style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

hawker wrote:

If things do not go right against Benfia, I'd be a fairly angry Man U fan because of the antics in Denmark.

Erra he is always doing that. Look at 2005, when he fielded an understrength side agaisnt Fenerbahce, a game the went on to lose. Had the won that match they would have won the group, therefore avoiding AC Milan, and playing Werder Bremen, who if memory serves, lost 10-3 on aggregate to Lyon, who actually won Utds group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I agree with the Original poster.
    It's something I discussed with a few of the lads while watching the match.
    The Copenhagen game was the one he should have sent the full team out against. Guess he underestimated them and the second team werent good enough.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While I'm not subscibing to the conspiracy theory a bit, Ferguson's decision to send out a second string side to Copenhagen has certainly thrown a spanner in the works.

For the third year in a row United look on course to fail to win what was, on paper, a reasonably easy group. Two years ago fielding the reserves against Fenerbache resulted in United drawing a group winner (Milan), which of course are going to be one of the better sides in the competition, and being eliminated.

Will a similar fate await them this year?

I don't deny that Fergie is a great manager.

What I cannot understand is the fact that it's probably easier to get three points in Copenhagen than in Celtic Park. So send your full team out to guarantee those three points and therefore not have to worry about the Celtic and Benfica games as you've already qualified. I know if I was manager what I'd do.

Obviously being Man U fans you'll not agree with me.

• Advertisement

No, being sane people we won't agree with you.

fade2black wrote:
    No, being sane people we won't agree with you.

Great retort. Again because I'm saying something about Man U you have a personal pop at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

hawker, I am a Man United fan and I do agree with your last statement. Not about the Celtic/Rangers thing but about getting the result.

I have faith in Fergie though and believe we will qualify.
    I dont buy the whole "first place in the group gets the easier draw nonsense". They may get an easy draw, they may not.
    Its looking like some very good teams will finish second in their groups, Barcelona (if they get through) being one.
    At the end of the day if you want to win the competition you are going to have to win big games along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm glad we lost to Celtic(not really of course) but when we loose mid-week we seem to win at the weekend(champs league and carling cup) So lets hope for a repeat!

Firstly, hawker I'm being facicious. This has nothing to do with me being a Man Utd fan, it's to do with you thinking that Alex Ferguson fielded a weakened side against Copenhagan and a strong side against Celtic for personal, anti-celtic reasons.

And Kippy, as much as it's admirable that you're sticking up for the OP, you're just what's basically already been said by everyone else...we agree that Fergie all too often messes up with his team selections but he's not doing for the celtic/rangers thing.

Kippy,

Maybe I was a bit OTT with the conspiracy theory but as a Celtic fan what else am I to think? It just seems Fergie did it on purpose.

Yes, I think Utd will qualify. And they will probably go a lot further than Celtic will.

RasTa wrote:
    I'm glad we lost to Celtic(not really of course) but when we loose mid-week we seem to win at the weekend(champs league and carling cup) So lets hope for a repeat!

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing myself this morning. Complacency is nobody's friend but it's Man Utd's worst enemy. We always, I suppose like so many other teams, play better when the players think they have something to prove.

fade2black wrote:
    Firstly, hawker I'm being facicious. This has nothing to do with me being a Man Utd fan, it's to do with you thinking that Alex Ferguson fielded a weakened side against Copenhagan and a strong side against Celtic for personal, anti-celtic reasons.

And Kippy, as much as it's admirable that you're sticking up for the OP, you're just what's basically already been said by everyone else...we agree that Fergie all too often messes up with his team selections but he's not doing for the celtic/rangers thing.[/QUOT

Unfortunately I cannot tell if a person is being serious or not. As A celtic fan I could see no other reason why Fergie might pull this stunt. Maybe I'm being ott but it's the only explanation I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:mad:

I actually read most of this thread

what a load of crap

oh I forgot................. IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ferguson thought they could rest players and still get the win against Copenhagan , if they had won he would have rested players against Celtic aswell but they didn't so they had to play a strong side to try and make sure of qualification .

The way the OP is talking you'd swear playing an under-strength side meant United were guarenteed to lose to Copenhagan(a game they should have won even with an under-strength team).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

hawker wrote:
    Obviously being Man U fans you'll not agree with me.

not at all

as an Arsenal supporter i think you are talking out your arse as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Trilla wrote:
    what a load of crap
    Agreed
    hawker wrote:
    Maybe I'm being ott but it's the only explanation I can think of
    The only explanation you can think of?? Funny that you're the only one that came to the conspiracy theory conclusion.

It's obvious what happened, it's just unfortunate that you seem to be the only one that can't see it. :rolleyes:

Fade hit the nail on the head OP. If you can't understand it, then that's your downfall. Try having a more open mind when thinking about this. My guess is that because you are a celtic supporter you have this big anti-rangers stance, and thus you have come up with your conspiracy theory. You should probably look in the mirror, take off your tinfoil hat and have a good chuckle. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Troll, abu, what ever you want to call it, another pop at United, the trend of soccer boards at the moment.

yop wrote:
    Troll, abu, what ever you want to call it, another pop at United, the trend of soccer boards at the moment.

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to bring a light hearted view to this otherwise tense thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think yop was on about the OP.:confused:

Ah. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sjones wrote:
    I'm not trolling, I'm trying to bring a light hearted view to this otherwise tense thread.

Sorry lad, did not mean you the Troll!! :o It is the OP who I think is trying to rise the United fans on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

OP i think you're talking rubbish....the fact is Utd dominated the game against Celtic and all would have been rosy if we had gotten the deserved win.

Celtic (Who i'm delighted are through) were totally outplayed and got a free kick (which was a clear dive) to win the game, fair enough.

The team sent out in denmark would win that game 9 times out of 10 IMO, we just had a very bad game.

I'm delighted with they way we are playing and i feel that this reaction from you is ridiculous! sick of these questioning SAF threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I think Chelsea will play for a defeat tonignt... Mourinho deserves nothing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think this particular conspiracy theory is more than a little far fetched - and I love conspiracy theories.

Utd have made the last three Champions League groups much tougher than they should have been due to sub - par away performances in the group stages. This has been due to a combination of weakened team selections (Fernabache, Copenhagen - as noted) and muted performances from the first eleven in winnable games (Benfica, Lille, Villareal).

Its hard to put a finger on what is exactly wrong with United in europe, but they certaintly havn't been up to scratch away from home the last couple of years. As such, last nights result is not all that surprising IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I find it funny that after a game where Celtic were clearly the poorer team and would not have scored had it not been for a free kick that this Fergie bashing starts.

Similar to the Saha thread, United are in their best form in years. They took a chance against Copenhagen and it back fired, the pressure was on last night, Celtic shut up shop for 80 minutes and United couldnt break them down.

Im not begrudging Celtic the win, as Trilla said to me today, Im glad it was Celtic. Im just astounded by the criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Fade, sjones and yop - if you can't argue your point without getting personal, don't bother arguing. Consider it a warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Utd have made the last three Champions League groups much tougher than they should have been due to sub - par away performances in the group stages. This has been due to a combination of weakened team selections (Fernabache, Copenhagen - as noted) and muted performances from the first eleven in winnable games (Benfica, Lille, Villareal).

Its hard to put a finger on what is exactly wrong with United in europe, but they certaintly havn't been up to scratch away from home the last couple of years.

Two words - Carlos Queiroz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Two words - Carlos Queiroz.

Why is he to blame? do you think he's running the team? (genuine question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

Mad Dog wrote:
    What a pointless thread :eek: and pure fantasy too :eek:
    if you dont like it dont post on it. the guy just wanted to voice an opinion. i jate people saying what a bad thread it is. you dont HAVE to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I f Saha had scored from the spot Manu would now be through and all this anti-saf would be stuck in troll land. Manu played Celtic in a pre-season friendly ( Celtic allways treat a so called battle of britain friendly as almost a champions leage tie with their effort)and played a reserve side and still beat a near full celtic side 3 nil. Celtic played very well at old trafford and lost ...I thought United were comfortable until the free kick went in. Ronaldo was class but rooney was still off form..Il be happy with a similar performance on sunday by the team but with Rooney coming up trumps also.

As for the anti celtic thing.. Fergusan went on record for saying he was glad they were playing 2 high pressure games in one week and one before the chelsea game to keep them playing at a high standard...he ovbiously meant his first choice team and not the "B" team full of oshea,fletcher & richardson ????????????????????//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

TonyD79 wrote:
    ( Celtic allways treat a so called battle of britain friendly as almost a champions leage tie with their effort)and played a reserve side and still beat a near full celtic side 3 nil.
    /

Celtic do not treat friendly games as almost a Champions League tie. They did not put out a near full strength team either. :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Why is he to blame? do you think he's running the team? (genuine question)
    The whole 4-5-1 with Rooney out on the left is Quieroz's idea. United NEVER play well with 4-5-1.

psi wrote:
    Fade, sjones and yop - if you can't argue your point without getting personal, don't bother arguing. Consider it a warning.

Where are we getting personal PSI?

• Advertisement
Advertisement