Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poll: Your Car - Whats Important

Options
  • 22-11-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Posting on another thread I wondered what is most important to people about their car.
    Not about buying a new one as price will then come into it. (We are supposed to be enthusiasts here aren't we)

I cant think of any more than 4 at the moment.
    If you can think of more shout!

Driving - How it drives (handles engine etc)
    Reliability - It never breaks down
    Image - People think I'm ..........
    Cost Of Ownership - It runs on the sniff of an oil rag.

Whats matters to you about your car 98 votes

Driving
    0% 0 votes
    Reliability
    35% 35 votes
    34% 34 votes
    Cost Of Ownership
    13% 13 votes
    Comfort & Interior Equipment
    16% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You forgot comfort (bearing in mind the time spent in cars these days).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Thanks I forgot about that

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I took the liberty of adding in a fifth option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In my case I found that a lot depended on circumstances. Used to do a fair bit of long distance driving and things like driving ability and comfort ranked very high.
    These days I just hop into work along narrow, ****ty (in the true sense :D ) little backroads. The whole trip only takes 10 mins, so as long as it takes me there every day cheaply anything will do, really.

Was never bothered about image.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I always thought that reliability was the main thing that a car should have. There's nothing worser than waking up on a cold winters morning (and your late for work) to find the car wont start.

Looks are not very important - if the car drives well and is very reliable, sure what more could you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

doesn't cost of ownership also include reliability

because if a car is unreliable it will cost you more money to keep fixing it, driving up cost of ownership

cheap and reliable with a bit of space are what i look for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe a "Safety" option could have been included. Something I give a lot of consideration to, now that I've small, precious cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Funny.............for me reliability does not come into it at all, A. because I maintain my cars myself B. In general cars ARE reliable, C. I dont buy cars that have poor reliabilty built into them !

For me its purely the feeling I get when driving. I like to feel happy, alive, excited..........just a buzz from driving a particular car. For me that really only happens with older cars, with a bit of character, though love my CLK too but for different reasons !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Reliability may not be the overriding factor in my like for a particular car however to know that it is reliable is essential. It's good to know the car will start every morning and should never leave me stranded.

Very important is image in terms of fanny-magnetism. I don't know how this might be quantified - field strength, H (amps per meter) or flux density, B (tesla) - but I do like that my Passat has extremely low levels of it. It means I don't get harrased by random women who want to treat me like a piece of meat just because of the car I drive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it would be a combination of everything there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

All of the above PLUS Safety.

Turned down a Volvo last month because it didn't have a passenger airbag. Reason - "the Volvo doesn't need it."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think its silly when people talk about reliability. In this day and age every car is reliable, some peope are just unlucky but there aren't really any particular makes that are 'unreliable' as such.

For me Performance would be top of the list, followed by overall Driving Pleasure - its got to hvae good handeling, but without being bone shaking. Street Cred is also very important. No matter how good it drives and feels, if its considered a gaymobile I wouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I picked cost of ownership and driving, because if the cost of ownership is good, that implies that reliability is good.

Advertisement