Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

talking about tax

Options
  • 22-11-2006 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

the mod of "online buying/auctions" has suggested taking this to feedback as he has locked the thread over there, presumably due to some childish posts.

the original thread is here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055018139

my query is that the forum has outright banned discussion regarding taxation on imported items - when it deals with the issue of circumventing that tax.

sounds fair enough, tax dodging is illegal, but unfortunately, tax avoiding also comes under this bracket - which is clearly quite legal.
    the topic of tax avoiding comes up on numerous forums on boards - not least on the work forum (tax back) and the accomodation forum (rent relief) so i see no issue for questions such as "what is the maximum value of an item i can purchase without being taxed" and discussions aroud that topic.

does anyone have anthing to say about this - ive pm'ed the mod to let him know ive started this thread

thanks for reading,
    subway
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

2 antimod threads?
    Im flattered :)
    Have a wee look in r3nu4l's "mod awards" thread and vote for me!

But there are some things you don't know: I've put in a lot of time into this forum to try and keep it clean. I've locked/deleted a whole bunch of threads in the last while (months) because they were all talking about ways to avoid tax illegally. Don't want boards hosting dodgy comments these days.

Despite warnings to the forum, people kept making threads "how do I avoid paying duty on ebay" type stuff.
    So I made a blanket rule a few months back: Don't talk about tax evasion. Its worked very well so far.

I don't want to get into an avoision/evasion discussion. Mabye I was wrong to lock the thread, but in my experience the borderline threads always descend into people telling the OP dodgy stuff.

Its possible that a smod or admin will agree with you, and re-open the thread. Fair enough.
    Thats all I have to say on this, really :)
    -Thanks for caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In fairness, in this thread people are also talking about VAT and how much you can order without getting taxed and that thread is still open and on page 2.

Normally I don't like whining threads but this one seems to have a point in terms of consistency of the message and rules re discussion of tax.

EDIT: FL, just saw your reply, is there a reason why the Play.com one is still open, jsut curious and actually don't give a flying.... but I can see people getting easily confused. BTW, I completely agree with the rules re not talking about tax...dodgy subject :) I suppose the point of the Play.com thread was really a heads up warning to people ordering from them but it has since descended into putting values on how much can be ordered.

Oh and having read the charter, I should probably get a one week ban for my suggestion in that thread...oops! Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

r3nu4l wrote:
    In fairness, in this thread people are also talking about VAT and how much you can order without getting taxed and that thread is still open and on page 2.

Normally I don't like whining threads but this one seems to have a point in terms of consistency of the message and rules re discussion of tax.

EDIT: FL, just saw your reply, is there a reason why the Play.com one is still open, jsut curious and actually don't give a flying.... but I can see people getting easily confused. BTW, I completely agree with the rules re not talking about tax...dodgy subject :) I suppose the point of the Play.com thread was really a heads up warning to people ordering from them but it has since descended into putting values on how much can be ordered.

Oh and having read the charter, I should probably get a one week ban for my suggestion in that thread...oops! Sorry.
    this thread is in no way anti-mod!!!
    sorry if it came across that way.

i just wanted to get clarification as avoision is openly discussed on boards,
    just not on your forum.
    i understand that a pre-emptive locking is often neccesary for the posts that are obviously going to descend into nonsense.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Subway are you looking to give advice on tax avoidance or get it?

As a director of several companies I'm very very clear on the difference between the two (and its clear enough, except to the average joe in the street!). I'm happy enough to allow discussion of tax avoidance but if its raising so many problems for the mod that it's eating up his time then a blanket ban is fine too. A happy solution might be an written explanation of the differences, an FAQ about tax avoidance, links to further reading etc and THEN ban discussion of it.

If you are in a position to assist with that idea, perhaps you and the mod could work together?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks for the reply DeVore, in all honesty, im not looking to do either at this point in time (look for advice or give it)
    having read over Fuzzylogics post a bit more carefully i can see where he's coming from.
    if Fuzzylogic thinks that a sticky or post on the matter would be helpful im sure i could find some time to put something brief together

• Advertisement
Advertisement