Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod awards?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, maybe you mods already do this on your own forum, I don't know.

I'm getting pretty sick of all the anti-mod threads going on at boards.ie so I'm suggesting that mods and users be allowed to vote for a Mod of the Month or Mod of the year award for outstanding modding :) Maybe there can be the Users award and the Mods award.

Personally I think that Beruthiel and Gordon could be awarded shill/spam hunter awards, without them Boards would be overrun by threads offering all sorts of cr*p. At one stage Talliesin locked a particularly pointless thread and I was so impressed I referred to it in my sig :D

There could be an award for each forum category.

I know this would need some working out but it could be positive and allow boards users to show the mods that at least some of us appreciate them.

Anyone with me or am I sadly deluded? :) Come on boardsies, let the mods know we're not all whingers :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Will there be prezzies?

230200897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Tbh I don't think that us general users see most of the ****e that gets posted. The smods, mods etc. get there first so its hard to know who did what.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sparky-S for the "Mod With The Brownest Tongue Award"!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

petes wrote:
    Tbh I don't think that us general users see most of the ****e that gets posted. The smods, mods etc. get there first so its hard to know who did what.

As I never lie, you can take my word on the fact that it's me who does all the hard work

Piggie
    You wandered outside the walls of AH, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

/Annouces candidacy for newest mod award.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I rate myself by how little I have to intrude. This doesn't apply to every forum though. We know you love us anyway, even the one who say they don't.

Maybe we should have some sort of Karma system :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Beruthiel wrote:
    As I never lie, you can take my word on the fact that it's me who does all the hard work

Piggie
    You wandered outside the walls of AH, congrats!
    The LOB speaks for itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Beruthiel wrote:
    Will there be prezzies?

Hmmm, prezzies? Perhaps Pighead could promise not to reference you in a single post for a whole day :D
    petes wrote:

Ah but occassionally you see a particularly annoying thread locked or moved to the Recycle bin and you think "Ah, a job well done by that mod, well done indeed!", the whole world feels restored and you continue with a feeling of inner peace :)
    Evil Phil wrote:
    I rate myself by how little I have to intrude.
    It's all good oh Evil one, sometimes a mod will post to say, "hmmm, I'll let this one continue but I'll keep an eye on it". That's good modding too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ruu=The English Patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Pighead wrote:
    Sparky-S for the "Mod With The Brownest Tongue Award"!
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

r3nu4l wrote:
    Ah but occassionally you see a particularly annoying thread locked or moved to the Recycle bin and you think "Ah, a job well done by that mod, well done indeed!", the whole world feels restored and you continue with a feeling of inner peace :)
    In my experience the more likely a moderator action is to be commented in appreciative terms the more likely it is that it'll also be a source of complaints by someone else.

I hence see many such hypothetical awards being a source of rancour and flamage.

I see your point and undoubtably one man's freedom fighter is another mans moderator :D

Perhaps there could be a shortlist nominated by subscribers only (another reason to subscribe :D) and all users could then choose from that list?

I know that other users would then give out that subscribers were being treated differently but subscription does have other perks (if you could call them that) and this would just be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

fade2black wrote:
    Ruu=The English Patient.

Can I be Michael Douglas character in Falling Down? :D

Ruu wrote:
    Can I be Michael Douglas character in Falling Down? :D

"I just wanna go home!" :D Swing that bat Ruu, clear AH once and for all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The best mod, is the mod who mods least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Julep and Monty should clean up at the awards then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

That's absolutely ridiculous! That's like saying "The best cleaner is the one who does the least cleaning." You clearly have no understanding of what a moderator does. We're not The Great Withholders of Free Speech that you seem to think we are. We're there to keep the forum tidy. We clean up after muppets and make sure that rules aren't being broken. If something was posted in our forum, but should be somewhere else, we move it. We do this for the sake of organisation, not to píss you off.

You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder when it comes to moderators.

Anyway, I don't think the awards would be fair because it's clear that I'd just win everything! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

I love the idea of mod awards.. .

What would be the categories...?

Most annoying Mod
    Mod with most resemblance to Adolf Hitler/Stalin/Idi Amin
    Most arrogant Mod

Great Idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

r3nu4l wrote:
    Anyone with me or am I sadly deluded? :) Come on boardsies, let the mods know we're not all whingers :)
    Deluded. I've got nothing to prove to mods, nor have they nothing to prove to me.

Sadly boards is becoming less about public opinion and steadily turning into the cult of the mod.

However, two exemplary mods to me are evilphil and fade2black, who come across as being normal, balanced, mature human beings rather than 20-something sexually-frustrated college freshmen/freshwomen who come back unloved from the SU bar to their student cubicles only and take out their frustrations by indulging in some late night wieiner-waving by hunting those who go off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Faith wrote:
    That's absolutely ridiculous! That's like saying "The best cleaner is the one who does the least cleaning." You clearly have no understanding of what a moderator does. We're not The Great Withholders of Free Speech that you seem to think we are. We're there to keep the forum tidy. We clean up after muppets and make sure that rules aren't being broken. If something was posted in our forum, but should be somewhere else, we move it. We do this for the sake of organisation, not to píss you off.

God bless you Faith and the tireless work you do for this place. Ignore the normies, they don't deserve you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

r3nu4l wrote:
    Perhaps there could be a shortlist nominated by subscribers only (another reason to subscribe :D) and all users could then choose from that list?

I know that other users would then give out that subscribers were being treated differently but subscription does have other perks (if you could call them that) and this would just be another.
    The contest would probably have to broken down to 'Best mod' of a particular category - moderating should be considered in the context of the forum. Take DublinWriter's little "off-topic" remark for example:
    Moderators in Politics and many other fora are going to strict in 'off-topic' situations than an AH mod. Does this mean an AH mod is better? Not at all.

In saying that, I'd rather see some meaningful, and useful feedback from all users than a popularity contest. I don't think it should be restricted to subscribers-only as they're not the only ones subject to a moderator's decision. Everyone who uses Boards.ie should have a say (Even if it would help remove some of the less useful comments.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

Faith wrote:

Anyway, I don't think the awards would be fair because it's clear that I'd just win everything! :p

Go you. You must be... eh... real brainy to read what was said that way.
    Sangre wrote:
    God bless you Faith and the tireless work you do for this place. Ignore the normies, they don't deserve you.

Hey calm down there friend. The fact she is an over eager beaver with a cell for a brain and possibly needing some retarded self opinion generated from strangers and a "job" on the internet is no reason for you to be so cutting!

Go Faith! Modded for years she has!

And she's smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Sid Deuce wrote:
    Go you. You must be... eh... real brainy to read what was said that way.

Hey calm down there friend. The fact she is an over eager beaver with a cell for a brain and possibly needing some retarded self opinion generated from strangers and a "job" on the internet is no reason for you to be so cutting!

Go Faith! Modded for years she has!

And she's smart!

I'm sure that wasn't the most contrived, cliched and rehashed "zing" I've seen on boards in years.

2 for effort.

Faith, if you feel you aren't rewarded enough then resign.

You're mods on a (albeit rather good) BBS. You're not special, you are not a unique snowflake. If you actually think this is some sort of cross you're bearing for the good of humanity, you're in the wrong place.

Having a mod here is like painting a target on your head. So I'd loosen your pants a little if I were you.

psi wrote:
    I'm sure that wasn't the most contrived, cliched and rehashed "zing" I've seen on boards in years.

2 for effort.

/stuff etc

psi wrote:

2 for effort.

Faith, if you feel you aren't rewarded enough then resign.

You're mods on a (albeit rather good) BBS. You're not special, you are not a unique snowflake. If you actually think this is some sort of cross you're bearing for the good of humanity, you're in the wrong place.

Having a mod here is like painting a target on your head. So I'd loosen your pants a little if I were you.

oh... it got expanded.

People would agree though. To take it from a social point of view she has got "all into it" more so than most. Taking her knickers off might not save her. Do they not know that people are watching and see things?

Perspective is not every thing but it exists.

FaithCentric!

Sid Deuce wrote:
    oh... it got expanded.

People would agree though. To take it from a social point of view she has got "all into it" more so than most. Taking her knickers off might not save her. Do they not know that people are watching and see things?

Perspective is not every thing but it exists.

FaithCentric!

Don't agree with me, I want my opinion to count for something,

psi wrote:
    Don't agree with me, I want my opinion to count for something,

Don't we all buddy... don't we all.

Sid Deuce wrote:
    buddy...

If you're going to call me insulting names, then I'm not communicating with you any more.

psi wrote:
    If you're going to call me insulting names, then I'm not communicating with you any more.

/What ever. /Great and stuff....

Help some sick people of the planet or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Faith wrote:

I have a major chip on my shoulder when it comes to mods?

That's news to me. Hi, I'm RE*AC*TOR, pleased to meet you.

All I meant from my post was the best kind of moderation is the one where the moderator imposes least on his or her forums.

Anyway, don't take it personally, I wasn't referring to you, I was talking about, you know.... real moderators.

Advertisement