Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod awards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jebus - Feedback is becoming worse than AH (almost).

r3nu4l - Nice thought about the awards. There are a lot of good mods here & their efforts are certainly appreciated by the more discerning boards' users.

However, I think that the notion of awards for best mod of this or that forum would only server to polarise members of this community.

I feel that it is also hard to compare mods overall as different fora have different modding requirements. Apples & oranges you might say.

AH requires a certain modding style - for example - Ruu gently tapping done-to-death threads into Recycle Bin, Karoma locking threads past their sell-by date. AH modding is fairly heads-down & keeps the forum moving at the pace it deserves.

PI on the other hand needs the hard leather of Beruthiel's Jackboot of Love or the swift cut of Gordon's steely banning-sabre to keep a tight rein on the sensitive issues being discussed.

Food & Drink is different again with MAJD (former mod) & Blub2k4 being there to offer their depth of experience in culinary matters with very little banning or warnings required. (With the exception of me once - but MAJD sorted me out good & proper & rightly so. :o )

In the heel of the hunt - I think that the mods would be better served by support from "discerning" users in their day-to-day activities. Whether that may be offering back-up in contentious issues with gobsh!te users or (dare I say it) criticism of modding decisions if needed.

A mod's opinion of the above would be appreciated.

EDIT - The above-named mods are for illustrative purposes only. Bannings & warnings may be issued by other mods who are just as good (if not better ;) ). Terms & conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hill Billy wrote:

Funny, I've made this comment in feedback once or twice in the last week :D
    Hill Billy wrote:
    I feel that it is also hard to compare mods overall as different fora have different modding requirements. Apples & oranges you might say.

I agree totally, some mods need sharper reflexes in the ban-button department than others depending on the forum.
    Hill Billy wrote:
    In the heel of the hunt - I think that the mods would be better served by support from "discerning" users in their day-to-day activities. Whether that may be offering back-up in contentious issues with gobsh!te users or (dare I say it) criticism of modding decisions if needed.

Well I certainly back up mods (not that they need my approval) more than I criticise them, although at the same time I was posting this thread yesterday I was questioning (not criticising) a mods decision elsewhere as well :)

I'm not talking about a popularity contest and having read peoples posts, I agree that it would be fraught with difficulties (to use a cliché), it certainly doesn't have to be a monthly event or anything, just maybe some praise and acknowledgement when a particularly good or difficult decision is taken. Mods only ever get criticised round these here parts...there was even a whine thread about Ruu the other day :eek: :D

Karoma, I take your point about all users having a say.

To sum up, I just think there should be some way for users to acknowledge that they appreciate the fact that mods are necessary and mostly do a good job. Of course mods will have bad days and perhaps sometimes be over-zealous where they might have let something go another day but we're all human (despite the rumours about Ruu being the best darn bot-script there ever was! :D).

r3nu4l wrote:
    (despite the rumours about Ruu being the best darn bot-script there ever was! :D).

Reminds me of the character Jane in Orson Scott Card's novels, described thus:
    "Jane is ... an advanced computer program. She is extremely complex. She can do trillions of things at a time, and can concentrate on hundreds at a time. Jane is hesitant to reveal herself to humanity, because she knows that she is the epitome of humanity's fear: an intelligent, thinking, computer program that cannot be controlled. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Faith wrote:
    That's absolutely ridiculous! That's like saying "The best cleaner is the one who does the least cleaning." You clearly have no understanding of what a moderator does. We're not The Great Withholders of Free Speech that you seem to think we are. We're there to keep the forum tidy. We clean up after muppets and make sure that rules aren't being broken. If something was posted in our forum, but should be somewhere else, we move it. We do this for the sake of organisation, not to píss you off.

You seem to have a major chip on your shoulder when it comes to moderators.

Thread about Mod awards turns ugly.... who would of guessed it....

Anyway i would nominate Ruu, a very sensible and courteous character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

Hill Billy wrote:

r3nu4l - Nice thought about the awards. There are a lot of good mods here & their efforts are certainly appreciated by the more discerning boards' users.

However, I think that the notion of awards for best mod of this or that forum would only server to polarise members of this community.

AH requires a certain modding style - for example - Ruu gently tapping done-to-death threads into Recycle Bin, Karoma locking threads past their sell-by date. AH modding is fairly heads-down & keeps the forum moving at the pace it deserves.

PI on the other hand needs the hard leather of Beruthiel's Jackboot of Love or the swift cut of Gordon's steely banning-sabre to keep a tight rein on the sensitive issues being discussed.

Food & Drink is different again with MAJD (former mod) & Blub2k4 being there to offer their depth of experience in culinary matters with very little banning or warnings required. (With the exception of me once - but MAJD sorted me out good & proper & rightly so. :o )

A mod's opinion of the above would be appreciated.

Have you removed your tongue from that mods ass?...Ok, great ill give you a non-mod opinion of the above..

/Vomits in bag and hands it to Hill Billy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Beruthiel wrote:
    Will there be prezzies?

230200897.jpg

Yes, Free jpgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    The best mod, is the mod who mods least.

I think you meant to say the best mod is the one that you don't realise they are modding at all.

Have you removed your tongue from that mods ass?...Ok, great ill give you a non-mod opinion of the above..

/Vomits in bag and hands it to Hill Billy..

What mod's ass? I've been pulled up on posts a couple of times & have taken my rap on the knuckles. I've been on the wrong end of a ban (which I heartily disagreed with) but took it like a man.

Because I appreciate that the efforts of the mods keep this site usable & enjoyable does not make me an ass-kisser. If you don't - big deal.

/craps in bag & tosses it back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hill Billy wrote:
    What mod's ass? I've been pulled up on posts a couple of times & have taken my rap on the knuckles. I've been on the wrong end of a ban (which I heartily disagreed with) but took it like a man.

Because I appreciate that the efforts of the mods keep this site usable & enjoyable does not make me an ass-kisser. If you don't - big deal.

/craps in bag & tosses it back
    and you learnt off all the marketing slogans like a good consumer!

Jackboot of this, sabre of that etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I think having a Mod awards is one of the most retarded ideas boards has seen in 2006, congrats OP!

Yes, lets have a "Mod awards" where Moderators can inflate their heads and boost their egos, thus widening the gap between regular users and Moderators even more.
    Do not forget, you are only a Moderator on the forums you Moderate, on every other forum you are a regular user.
    Mod awards are retarded because:

1. Different fora require different types of moderation.
    2. This "competition" will be biased because mods on fora with the most traffic will get more votes.

How exactly do you weigh up the work done by a moderator of say, the Buddhism forum, who really are kind, gentle folk who really do everything in their power to help make this forum thrive. They are the most helpful people I have encountered on boards.ie. How do you weigh the work done by them against moderators of the likes of After Hours, who are very busy moving threads and banning idiots and because of this hundreds of regular users of After Hours love them.

If you ask me, boards does not need another popularity contest and should not have a Mod awards because the busier forums' moderators would get more votes and thus, makes the awards completely pointless.

• Advertisement

What sort of monster have I created?:eek: :D

EDIT: Sjones you've obviously just read this as a 'popularity contest' thing, what's wrong with recognising a job well done? Plenty of users are happy when certain threads are locked or recycled and this would be a way of expressing that.

I take some of your points as they have already been listed and stated by other users but by saying the idea is retarded and congratulating me for the retarded idea you are coming very close to calling me retarded...i.e. personal abuse, no award for you Mr S-knickers-in-a-knot-Jones :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The feedback forum is not just for negative feedback, if people think a mod is doing a good job then they can start a thread here about them ... its called Positive Feedback!

I agree with SJones, its a bit of a dumb idea.

Of course if you say anything nice about a mod on here, mongos and retards start with the whole "brown nose" or "wannabe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

6th keeps on PMing me letting me know how happy he is with the job I'm doing on boards and that's reward enough for me tbh.

And still your trousers stay on! ... persistance will pay off!

I'm just shy 6th...you know this.

You say shy, I say frigid ... meh.

Anyway I'd actually like to say that fade2black does do a good job. I'm a lurker in the Horse Racing forum and always get tempted to make predictions on races using my "powahs" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

6th wrote:
    You say shy, I say frigid ... meh.

Are you two done sucking each other off?

Unhelpful and off topic posting.. someone ban fade2black and 6th...

Back on topic, Id like to propose another 2 award categories..

Most hypocritical mod
    Most brown-nosing wannabe mod ( ill nominate Hilly Billy and 6th to get the ball rolling)

While we're making new categories - how about "biggest asshole who joined in Oct 2006".

6th wrote:
    Anyway I'd actually like to say that fade2black does do a good job. I'm a lurker in the Horse Racing forum and always get tempted to make predictions on races using my "powahs" :D

Powahs are just what the forum is lacking in my opinion.

Clockwork Orange gets the vote for poster I've never fucking heard of.

• Advertisement

In fairness CockWankOrphan could win the whole 2006 category!

most mods dont go looking for praise, they'd be dissapointed if they did. Besides it would ruin the whole "its a thankless job" thing they have going.

Are you two done sucking each other off?

Unhelpful and off topic posting.. someone ban fade2black and 6th...

Back on topic, Id like to propose another 2 award categories..

Most hypocritical mod
    Most brown-nosing wannabe mod ( ill nominate Hilly Billy and 6th to get the ball rolling)

Merc? It has to be!

OP: I was attacking the post, not the poster.

sjones wrote:
    Merc? It has to be!

OP: I was attacking the post, not the poster.
    I doubt it, its not as insightful as Merc usually is.

Thats it your banned!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't think that's merc, but I do have a suspicion of who it might be. Anyway, banned for being a very very boring troll.

Yay!

And with that I think that the idea of mod awards is generally considered noble but completely deluded :) Oh well. Thanks for the responses folks, (mostly) interesting points made. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

r3nu4l wrote:
    Sjones you've obviously just read this as a 'popularity contest'
    Well one thing is how to arrange it so that it won't be a popularity contest?

Not that finding such a way would remove all the other objections.
    6th wrote:
    The feedback forum is not just for negative feedback, if people think a mod is doing a good job then they can start a thread here about them ... its called Positive Feedback!
    Or PM.

People do PM mods on occasion to say thanks and it's nice when they do.

I think most mods would rather be respected as posters than as mods though, after all people don't go to boards.ie to moderate it (though mods do sometimes find themselves only modding when they're busy).

Talliesin wrote:
    Well one thing is how to arrange it so that it won't be a popularity contest?

Not that finding such a way would remove all the other objections.

Yes having re-read all the posts and thought about it, I do think it would be very difficult to make a system that wasn't viewed as a popularity contest because most posters would simply be voting for the mod they like rather than for a particular instance of good modding, or non-modding as the case may be. And as you say, there are still other hurdles to overcome.
    Talliesin wrote:
    Or PM.

People do PM mods on occasion to say thanks and it's nice when they do.

I think most mods would rather be respected as posters than as mods though, after all people don't go to boards.ie to moderate it (though mods do sometimes find themselves only modding when they're busy).

I think that most mods are respected as posters, especially those that share their knowledge of a certain field, DMC is an example of an excellent poster who also happens to be a mod, same goes for Shane (McCarrick) amongst others.

Sjones: Cool :) As I've said, too many problems to overcome so I see where you're coming from. I'm also slowly coming to the opinion from the posts that while the mods are happy to receive praise they may not be comfortable with a dedicated 'pat ont he back' award :D
    Thank God CockBerk Orange has been banned, he might accuse us of 'sucking each other off' if he read this :D

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote:
    Sjones: Cool :) As I've said, too many problems to overcome so I see where you're coming from. I'm also slowly coming to the opinion from the posts that while the mods are happy to receive praise they may not be comfortable with a dedicated 'pat ont he back' award :D

Good stuff. It's not often someone takes my point of view on board. :)

Advertisement