Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Routing - the bizarre world thereof

Options
  • 22-11-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I've been using NTL broadband for a few months now. On the whole it's good although there have been moments.

What I'm wondering about is the way they route their connections. Our main server is over in Clonsaugh which is no more than 3-4km's away from our office. But today for instance I have having problems connecting to it so I did a trace route... Dublin --> Amsterdam --> Paris --> London --> Dublin. Somewhere in Paris they are having trouble so I can't currently connect to our server. Wft is going on with that? Is there anyone I should complain to about that ridiculous routing? What's going on with Inex? , I thought all local traffic should route through there?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

complain all you like, they are not listening since this 'no Inex policy' farce started in the summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

NTL is now owned by UPC.

UPC are not up and running at Inex yet (Though they are (administratively at least) members) - https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist

I notice that their peering policy is 'selective', their irish connectivity will depend on how selective their policies are. (I'm sure their IP transit rates are to die for ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

What 'no inex policy' I get the feeling I've missed something?

Can I talk to comreg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

er no.

Inex is essentially a private company offering a service used by ISP's to offload local traffic at a cheaper fixed cost than using IP transit from a larger provider (Where you pay-per-Mb). This also has the advantage of getting your local traffic directly to the ISP its destined to.

You have an ISP with (currently) crappy local connectivity - either wait for them to sort it or change provider. This is most certainly not a comreg issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

nowt to do with Comreg at all .

NTL routing has been badly designed by some euro muppet and with no regard for local traffic within Ireland.

NTL have known that it is fecked since ( at least) August and threw off long standing customers (with almost no warning) to try to ameliorate the issue. That was in September.

NTL never fixed the routing which caused them to panic and cut customers off . Its gone beyond a joke now with their Irish and UK routes badly designed and peered and badly congested and them not giving a damn about fixing it it seems.

To 'cap' all this their customer support has also collapsed ....from the evidence given in recent posts.

NTL went from a best buy ISP in June/July 2006 to a do not touch unless you are a light user in November 2006

They are useless for gaming and/or vpn dependent people nowadays. Nor, I fear, do they have the expertise in ireland to fix it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks for that. I'll be talking to NTL for what it's worth.

Advertisement