Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xvid/Divx to DVD Conversion Problems.

• 22-11-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

#Note to Mods I'm not sure about the Legal Copyright Status of recorded and downloaded Avi's of TV shows and how this relates to the Copyright / Warez Rules of the Boads. So I'm not deliberately breaking Board rules, and please do remove this post if this is the case...

I recently Got a TV In Card in My PC. And have been using it as a PVR. The Hauppage Software automatically Encodes it down to Nice, Compact Avi files in Divx (I've upgraded to the Latest Codec). Now Burning 2 or 3 of them onto DVD (In Nero Vision as a DVD in the Classic sense) works Fine once its a PAL recorded TV Show but I have a few Questions...

I have acquired (through by cyber cousins), US TV shows. (Recorded in Much the Same way) and BBC-HD origin Avi's. The BBC ones encode fine onto the DVD but the US ones gradually the Sound goes out of Sync with the Video, I know this is a frame rate problem with NTSC-PAL Conversion, However The Video and sound are perfect just a second or 2 out of Sync by the end of each avi.

Does anyone know of a Fix for this problem. I have limited Hard Drive Space left for More AVI's and want to add these programmes to the DVD collection.

Also is there any good Editing software for Divx Files, for taking out Ad's etc?

Regards

McA

<Possible legal material removed ;)>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

Hello McAlban

Look for VSO Xvid to DVD.
    It converts Xvid and AVI European PAL or US NTSC format to DVD, no problem with sync either.

I'm afraid I can't help with the editing of ads.

Regards.

Fazer6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

virtualdub should be able to cut out the ads, should also be able to change the frame rate for you too if needed. Might need to reencode the video after though

If you recorded the tv shows straight to mpg/mpeg2 it might be quicker to get them authored to dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Thanks, I have the WIN PVR Set to Copy as MPEG2 Now, but the Dowloaded ones are really the Problem, I'll give them a try....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 theslick

Do you really need to convert to pal? Most tvs now will accept both ntsc and pal.

So there may be no need to tell the dvd player (or your conversion software) to convert it. Just leave it on auto.

Converting is slow and loses quality. The easiest thing would be to buy a new dvd player that can play mpeg4 - you can get them now for <100.

Editing avis is fast and easy with virtualdub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

McAlban wrote:
    #Note to Mods I'm not sure about the Legal Copyright Status of recorded and downloaded Avi's of TV shows and how this relates to the Copyright / Warez Rules of the Boads. So I'm not deliberately breaking Board rules, and please do remove this post if this is the case...

I have acquired (through by cyber cousins), US TV shows. (Recorded in Much the Same way) and BBC-HD origin Avi's.

Just a heads up. This is definately illegal and not allowed to be discussed on Boards. It is in Charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

theslick wrote:
    Do you really need to convert to pal? Most tvs now will accept both ntsc and pal.

So there may be no need to tell the dvd player (or your conversion software) to convert it. Just leave it on auto.

Converting is slow and loses quality. The easiest thing would be to buy a new dvd player that can play mpeg4 - you can get them now for <100.

Editing avis is fast and easy with virtualdub.

Unfortunately I have a PAL only TV, as its a rather expensive widescreen I'm not changing it for a while, The DVD player is a New Sony one, and Sony don't support Divx. Otherwise my Home Entertainment Budget is going on Surround sound for christmas and I do have a perfectly good TV and DVD Player.

Converting is Brutally slow, So I tend to only do it when I'm leaving for work in the morning. I have had some Video's go Great onto DVD, and others are getting the Sound Lag. Its Trial and Error at the Moment. Using VBR 2 pass encoding seems to work though so I may give the NTSC files another go. It takes +/- 3 hours to burn a dvd this way though and its frustrating.
    IrishTLR wrote:
    Just a heads up. This is definately illegal and not allowed to be discussed on Boards. It is in Charter.

Ok, Thanks for Clearing that up. No further discussing this from me, I'll wait to record them off Local TV.

Rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Legal material removed. You may continue.

Also moving this to Arts>>>> Audio/Video editing!

Sparky-s

Advertisement