Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Ovverweight Labrador

Options
  • 22-11-2006 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi everyone, I was watched 'Its me or the fat dog' last night on C4 and it alerted me to the fact my own dog is starting to look overweight. Im determined to fix this before it gets worse. Would anyone know the ideal (normal) weight for a 9 month female (spayed) lab?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is Labrador and then there is Labrador ...very much depends on her build. Also at nine months she is far from fully grown. She might have decided to go wide for a while before she goes up again.

But if you're concerned, by all means bring it up with your vet ...they should have a pretty good idea of what would be the desired weight for her and can advise measures, if necessary,

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

peasant wrote:
    There is Labrador and then there is Labrador ...very much depends on her build. Also at nine months she is far from fully grown. She might have decided to go wide for a while before she goes up again.

But if you're concerned, by all means bring it up with your vet ...they should have a pretty good idea of what would be the desired weight for her and can advise measures, if necessary,

exactly what I was going to say (but without my usual spelling mistakes) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Hi, I am nurse in vet clinic and the normal weight range for a labrador female is 25 - 32 kgs. It is common that neutered females tend to put on a little weight but a young dog like yours should be active enough to keep off the weight. Burns do a really good quality dry feed with proper protein/carb/fat ratios and we find it very good. It comes in 2 flavours, chicken/ brown rice and fish/ brown rice, guidelines on the packet. If your dog is eating scraps this will contribute to weight gain. A digestive biscuit to a dog is like a cheeseburger to us, so keep a eye on her "treats". Also, goes without saying that a labrador needs loads of exercise, good luck, it's great to see you are prepared to do something now before it gets out of hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 delphie rex

your vet will be in a good position to advise on that. Meanwhile, bring your dog for more walks or runs and see if it helps.

Advertisement