Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router Problem

• 22-11-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

hey, wondering if anyone knows what the problem here is:

I have a Linksys WRT54GL and NTL broadband.We set up the network a few months ago and everthing was going perfect until 2 days ago.
    Everything is fine when the PC is connected directly to the NTL modem but the wireless isnt working and even if the PC is connected into the router, it doesnt work

I tried resetting the router and set up all the wireless thing again and still nothing happened(it kept sayng that it couldnt connect to the internet,even though the internet is working) so Im pretty sure its not the wireless part..

However if i type the IP address of a site directly into the address bar(both wirelessy connected and directly connected to the router will work) the page will come up. So does mean there is a problem with the DNS?

I went into the configuration section for the router and changed the DNS addresses(which were all at 0.0.0.0etc) to the DNS server addresses that i got from the wireless network connection status window but still nothing happnened(restarted the pc and router)

Then I also tried changing the DNS server addresses for the network connections on my PC(they were at automatic) but nothing..(i tried every configuration of changing these settings)

Any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

from the wireless connection, can you ping the DNS servers you are attempting to put in?

Is there any firewall enabled on the wireless router that could be effecting it?

It sounds very strange that it would just stop working..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

when i ping the DNS server addresses i get request timed out 4 times and ping statistics for 89.101.etc :packets sent= 4 recieved = 0 lost =4 (100%loss)
    (when i ping it when im directly conected to the modem a lot more stuff comes up so i presume that its not working properly(i dont really have a clue to be honest)

i dont think that there is a problem with any firewalls cos it would have never worked for us in the first place and no one would have been messing with any of the settings, but ill check anyway..thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

so...

Can you ping anything else from the wireless, I presume you can as you said you can get websites if you put in the IP?

Maybe try 64.233.187.99 (google :))

If you can ping google and not the DNS servers (and the DNS servers are definitely up) then I'm stumped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

well i went to have another go at fixing it last night and this time i couldnt even call up the google page when i entered the IP address(i could before) so I emailed the support team at Linksys(still no reply)

However I managed to find a forum entry on some site and someone else was having the same problem(not being able to connect to the internet and it was suggested to clone the PCs MAC address in the setup of the router, change the LAN IP address,turn of everything for a minute and then restart.Lo and behold, everything was working again, i just had to set up the wireless again.Everything seems to be ok now, but since i dont really know what I did and what all that MAC address stuff is, i just hope i havent messed up anything that would endanger the security of the network or anything(I have WEP setup on it)..will have to do a bit of online research on MAC adresses and stuff after work.

Thanks for the help anyway

Advertisement