Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering to Vote in Two Places?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Can someone clear this up for me?
    I have been told by two trustworthy sources that you both can and can't register to vote in two different locations.
    I wouldn't have thought either peron to be wrong (both involved in politics) but one has to be.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think you can, but can only vote in one. A friend was wondering, since it will depend on the date of the election whether he can acyually get home to vote, but could he vote at college????

I'm gonna check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Trustworthy source. (i.e it's in his interest to know for the performance of his job to).

It wouldn't be a crime to register in 2 places, but it would be to vote in 2 places.

Students etc. are supposed to get a postal vote....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

ninty9er wrote:
    Trustworthy source. (i.e it's in his interest to know for the performance of his job to).

It wouldn't be a crime to register in 2 places, but it would be to vote in 2 places.

Don't they have buses run by party hacks to get students back home for the vote. I know back when I was in college (in the 80's and there was an election practically every year ;) )buses brought students home to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

its a surprisingly how hard it is to get an answer to this one.

i'm a student and would like to register in dublin and down the country

the problem with the dublin registration is we tend to move too often to nail down where the voting card will be posted in 2 to 3 years time !

anyone got an offical pointer to an answer for this ?

/ds

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

demosuzki wrote:
    the problem with the dublin registration is we tend to move too often to nail down where the voting card will be posted in 2 to 3 years time ! anyone got an offical pointer to an answer for this ?
    You can register at the new address each year and they may even accept cahnges during the year (changes are accepted in hte run up to the election anyway). If you move within a council area during the year, you are likely to be stuck with the old address / polling station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Students can register in two constituencies, their term constituency and their home constituency. But they can only vote in one. Apparently there was a case about this: [some random letter like R] v Drapier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

A person shall not be registered as an elector more than once in any registration area nor in more than one such area.

Is it that students can register in two constituencies, or that students can register in one constituency and postal vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I am currently registered in two constituencies, and I'm sure I could vote in both if I could be bothered to, who would know? I'm not going to btw.

As you collect your ballot, your name is crossed off the list. In theory they can check the lists. Whether is happens, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

It's not allowed

section 11(1)(a) Electoral Act 1992 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA23Y1992S11.html
    A person shall not be registered as an elector more than once in any registration area nor in more than one such area.

• Advertisement

It was changed after that, by either the High Court or Supreme Court and a scheme was put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Know the name of this case?

From a quick look on bailii the only cases involving the electoral act in the 90's i could find involve the constitutionality of spending limits, deposits and prisoner votings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ninty9er wrote:

How do you register for a postal vote?

How do you register for a postal vote?
    Only specific categories can postal vote, soldiers, gardai and diplomatic staff overseas and people physically / medically unable to go to the polling station.

Advertisement