Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The International Mathematical Olympiad????

• 22-11-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here get selected for this?? For those who aren't in the know,the top 20 results of the Junior Cert Maths Paper are selected to attend 13 3-hour lectures over the coming months in order to represent Ireland in Vietnam.Also, a mx of 2 other representatives from a school with 'outstanding mathematical ability' can tag along. Are they actually allowed to check out our results???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Mathematical is the offputting word in that sentence, but the best of luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

One would presume they are. They're not really doing any damage, anyway.
    Though, I really really doubt it's the top 20 results because I did it last year and there were at least 100 in the lecture hall in UCD not to mention the other centres where it occurs in the country...

Still, great fun! Three hour maths lectures on Saturday mornings and the chance to go to Vietnam for free! : p

Doing it again this year, am I. Might actually try it properly this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

One would presume they are. They're not really doing any damage, anyway.
    Though, I really really doubt it's the top 20 results because I did it last year and there were at least 100 in the lecture hall in UCD not to mention the other centres where it occurs in the country...

Nah,a max of 3 can go from a school but the Top 20 were formally invited. Over 500 attend I believe....

Hm, suppose a lot of people there wouldn't have been formally invited.

Yeah,they're chosen by the school instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Whoah Vietnam, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Sweet wrote:
    Anyone else here get selected for this?? For those who aren't in the know,the top 20 results of the Junior Cert Maths Paper are selected to attend 13 3-hour lectures over the coming months in order to represent Ireland in Vietnam.

Teeheehee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I know someone who got invited. I'd liked to go but I didn't get picked.

Anyone can go to the first round of lectures, actually. They're completely open. No roll taken or anything like that. I think they just invite people so as to make them aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I def. didn't get picked....but I was happy I got my honour so whatever. I'm sorry, yes, i know teh Vietnam bit sounds liek good craic, but three hours of Maths?? An acquired taste, I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I dunno abou that school limit thing, four or five girls out of my ear were formally invited.

4 or 5??!That's pretty high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I did the test to do it, (though I know I wouldn't get it). Is there some website that I can check out if I got in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I got an invite for this after my junior cert about 8 years ago... I went to it the first two years in UCC because my maths teacher in school was really scary and every Monday he would demand a full account of what I learned. Some of the stuff was very interesting, some of it was really boring - it really depends on who the lecturer is. If you're interested in competing in olympiads and stuff then its great, because aside from the olympiad in Vietnam, there will be other national and international competitions during the year. I regret that I didn't take more interest in some of the subject matter at the time.

I did the test to do it, (though I know I wouldn't get it). Is there some website that I can check out if I got in?

PRISM? Results out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Fobia wrote:
    PRISM? Results out here.

Thankee!

14 out of 20, target of 15 but I'm still really happy. Anyone know the percentiles or what the average was?

Well done! :)
    From PRISM Website:
    "The average score in the junior contest was 8.63 and the median score was 9.
    The average score in the senior contest was 8.97 and the median score was 9."

So you certainly beat most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

When are the lectures on for the irish mathematics olympiad? Just wondering.

How do they pick the top 20 results from the junior cert when there could be 100 people who get the same result?

How did some of ye get involved with this "prism test"? Were ye just selected or what?

Sweet wrote:
    4 or 5??!That's pretty high!

Yup, our year got very good results compared with other years, several people in the year got 10As, and one girl got 11As

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Piste wrote:
    Yup, our year got very good results compared with other years, several people in the year got 10As, and one girl got 11As

Whats the actual point in doing 10 or 11 subjects?

• Advertisement

JSK 252 wrote:
    When are the lectures on for the irish mathematics olympiad? Just wondering.
    In UCD, there were two in November/December, there are another two in January and then the qualifier test is in February. To be precise, 20th and 27th of January, then test on 2nd of February.
    JSK 252 wrote:
    How do they pick the top 20 results from the junior cert when there could be 100 people who get the same result?
    Perhaps only about 20 people get ~100%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

i'm from sweet's school, and i got invited, sweet and a girl were the two tagalongs selected by the maths teachers... the lectures are really bring and i don't understand shit, but i'm gonna keep going till it ends. don't ask why.
    i was pretty stoked they invited me, but the stufff they preach is way harder than what's on the jc course. as for the jc, i got 5 a's, 5 b's. am exempt from irish.

JSK 252 wrote:
    Whats the actual point in doing 10 or 11 subjects?

Everyone in our school has to do 10 subjects for the Junior Cert, and some girls (myself included) did Music outside school.

Advertisement