Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dara O'brien

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Wow I really seem to have really upset some people with my views on poor auld Dara. I am sure he is a really nice bloke as you say but did anyone see his series '3 men in a boat ' with Rory McGrath and Gryff Rhyss Jones. They retraced a literary boat trip up the river Thames and provided some entertainment along the way.
    Well Gryff and Rory were in top form but Poor Dara was like a piece of furniture. He was completely blown away by the other two. They were on top form with witty banter and anecdotes but poor Dara was like a little boy with nothing to say. He did not possess a strong enough personality to handle the banter from the others and all he could do was ask fairly inane questions and go "eh eh" a lot.
    Just because he is one of our own doesn't mean that we have to love him (and he so desperately wants to be loved).
    For the record, the funniest man on TV is Larry David and nobody ever said he was a nice bloke...ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tallspoon wrote:
    Wow I really seem to have really upset some people with my views on poor auld Dara. I am sure he is a really nice bloke as you say but did anyone see his series '3 men in a boat ' with Rory McGrath and Gryff Rhyss Jones. They retraced a literary boat trip up the river Thames and provided some entertainment along the way.
    Well Gryff and Rory were in top form but Poor Dara was like a piece of furniture. He was completely blown away by the other two. They were on top form with witty banter and anecdotes but poor Dara was like a little boy with nothing to say. He did not possess a strong enough personality to handle the banter from the others and all he could do was ask fairly inane questions and go "eh eh" a lot.
    Just because he is one of our own doesn't mean that we have to love him (and he so desperately wants to be loved).
    For the record, the funniest man on TV is Larry David and nobody ever said he was a nice bloke...ever!

actually, i thought he was great in that 2 part series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tallspoon wrote:
    Well Gryff and Rory were in top form but Poor Dara was like a piece of furniture. He was completely blown away by the other two. They were on top form with witty banter and anecdotes but poor Dara was like a little boy with nothing to say.
    I'd disagree. It was a nice mix of personalities. I wouldn't have watched if it was just three English ex-Oxbridge Comedians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

film_gonzo wrote:
    I once told Andrew Maxwell that he was "an awful b0ll0x" to his face and that was a proud moment. If he's the best we have, god help us all....:eek:

He is the best though. Would you rather watch Pat Shortt for the rest of you life?

I'd disagree. It was a nice mix of personalities. I wouldn't have watched if it was just three English ex-Oxbridge Comedians.

Why does their race or their alma mater... matter???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I quite like DO'B. But I honestly can't stand any of the other feckers on The Panel. I HATE Colin Murphy on it, which is a pity, because he is a a good comic and writes some great stuff (The Blizzard of Odd was fantastic), but on the Panel, every noe and then he comes out with a dodgy line that seems like it was written as a catch-all for who ever was on the show that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Quick, someone make ratemycomedian.ie :p

Dylan Moran FTW!

Tallspoon wrote:
    Why does their race or their alma mater... matter???
    Apparently it does in the UK in respect to the media industry.

I'd refer you to a recent interview with Clive James in the Irish Sunday Times about this very matter, detailing why himself and Wogan were so popular because they fell outside the typical British class-system and could appeal to a wider demiographic.

Dead right mate... Those middle class Oxbridge b@stards like Sacha Baron Cohen are killing comedy!!!
    More Dierdre O'Kane, Dara and Hector on TV I say!

By the way Clive James went to Cambridge too.
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tallspoon wrote:
    Dead right mate... Those middle class Oxbridge b@stards like Sacha Baron Cohen are killing comedy!!!

less of the Hector now ok :)

Tallspoon wrote:

Steady on, if it wasn't for the Cambridge Footlights, we wouldn't have had Beyond the Fringe, the Pythons, etc, the precursors for the Alternative Comedy movement.

If the lumpen proles were left to their own devices we'd still have Bernard Manning making jokes about 'pakis' on ITV primetime every Saturday afternoon.

And I wasn't aware that Sascha Baron Cohen was Oxbridge educated either?

I'm not anti-elitest, I just think a balance helps, as it enriches the comedy gene-pool, sometimes.

As for Deirdre O'Kane? I've coughed up funnier stuff.

Oh b@llocks...i just heard that Dara will be a guest on next fridays Jonathon Ross show.
    :mad:

That used to be one of my favourite shows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

scargill wrote:
    each to their own - but his delivery annoys the shoite out of me. can't listen to the constant 'eh....eh....eh.....eh'.

He is quite quick thinking on his feet on the likes of The Panel, QI and Have I Got News For You.*

I remember watching HIGNFY last year and thinking that he had toned down the eh-eh's a lot. Maybe the BBC had a word with him about it ??!

* i know these things are prerecorded and slickly edited - in case anyone mentions this !!
    He was on the Ian Dempsey breakfast show this morning and Ian asked him about saying "eh...eh...eh...eh" all the time and he said it's just something that he does and that recently he was reading an internet forum where someone had said that the BBC had told he to stop doing it. He confirmed that they hadn't, but he did think that it was quite funny that someone would think that they had.

So there ya go, the rich and the famous read Boards.ie, probably explains why Fiona Looney never got back on the show after the campaign to get rid of her. NERD POWER!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

BaZmO* wrote:
    He was on the Ian Dempsey breakfast show this morning and Ian asked him about saying "eh...eh...eh...eh" all the time and he said it's just something that he does and that recently he was reading an internet forum where someone had said that the BBC had told he to stop doing it. He confirmed that they hadn't, but he did think that it was quite funny that someone would think that they had.

So there ya go, the rich and the famous read Boards.ie, probably explains why Fiona Looney never got back on the show after the campaign to get rid of her. NERD POWER!!!!!

When our powers combine...! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think he's very funny. He's on podge and rodge tonight btw.

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    He's on podge and rodge tonight btw.

I'm sharpening my pencil in anticipation. :mad:

You're right lads...he was facking hilarious!!!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

he were good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fi5

Are you a bit special? Darragh O'Brien is so funny you obviously have no sence of humour..get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fi5 wrote: »
    Are you a bit special? Darragh O'Brien is so funny you obviously have no sence of humour..get over it
    And you obviously have no sense of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And you obviously have no sense of time

I could see the cob webs in the corners of this thread until Fi5 came along:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

All the previous posters of this thread have probably all passed away by this stage.

R.I.P

Dara O Briain was only 15 when this thread started! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please don't dig up 3 year old threads. Start a new one if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement