Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major delivery company - lots of misinformation, still no delivery

Options
  • 22-11-2006 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

This is my problem and I am wondering what advice, if any, someone could give me.

I ordered a product from Germany, and the only delivery method available was by the delivery company which may have the letters U, P and S in the name.

The package arrived in Dublin last Sunday, and I was not present for the delivery on Monday afternoon - I knew this, as I was out of the country.

Problem 1: No way to contact the delivery company which may have the letters U, P and S in the name in Ireland as they only have a 1-800 number listed. A lady in the UK branch gave me a direct dial line to Dublin which is not on any of the delivery company which may have the letters U, P and S in the name
    web pages. I.e., if you need to contact them in Ireland and are not in Ireland, you have no phone number to call them with.

Anyway, I rescheduled the delivery to Wednesday (today), to a new address where I knew I would be available to collect all day. With no show at half four, I checked the tracker and it said that the receiver had refused delivery. This was news to me.

So I spoke with the first service person, and she said that if I wanted to pick it up, I could do so but the earliest would be on Friday. I asked to speak to a supervisor three times before I was trasnferred, and he told me he would get back to me in thirty minutes at the most.

Problem 2: I call back in twenty, because I have no trust in UPS in general, and sure enough, they tell me that he has gone home for the day. So I ask them basically what the hell is going on, they tell me that a service representative would be back to me within 90 minutes.

So I get a call, and I am told that I can pick it up tomorrow from their depot. I tell her that I was told Friday and she says she doesn't know why that would be. She also doesn't know why I was told by supervisor bloke that he would call me back when in fact he was going home. She also doesn't know why the tracker said I had refused delivery.

Problem 3: Why can they not deliver to me and why do I have to go to Finglas to pick it up?

I had a few problems with the delivery company which may have the letters U, P and S in the name in the past - e.g., being home all day waiting for a package, only to check the mail box at 12 o clock and find a message from them saying noone was home when they arrived, etc., (happened twice).

I cannot believe that this company can have such contradictory standards. I know it says 4-10 days for surface delivery, but they really should say 4 days to Dublin and the other 6 for them to figure out where in Dublin.

ARGHRGRHGRHGRGH!!!
    Edit: to not use any trademarked initials or brand names.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

If I had a euro for every time UPS said "no one at home" when I was there all day, I'd be a rich man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its not only in Ireland that I had problems with UPS. Living in the US, I have given up on them recently. The driver is meant to at least leave a note that he had tried to deliver but never a sign of it. I complained to the supervisor of the local depot but it seems to be going in one ear and out the other.
    I normally check via the website tracking to see when it is expected to arrive, happened about 2 weeks ago when I had a package coming and was here all day "Customer not available for delivery, scheduled for next business day".:mad: This is not the first time it has happened either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ive never had good service with ups or fedex. interlink have never done me wrong though. those guys rock.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The last item I got via Interlink was delivered to a company down the road who quickly realised that they weren't the same company named on the address box (unlike Interlink) and rang me (using the number on the box) to let me know they had a parcel for me.

What browned me off is that Interlink deliver to our place regularly and the address on the packet was clear as day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

The end of my predicament was that I went to FInglas and picked it up myself. I think there may be a market for delivery companies that actually deliver goods to you, instead of (a) not at all or (b) someplace else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

There is room in Ireland for an efficient delivery company - we've had more than enough of companies who use letters like U,P.S,D.H, and L in their names. Now we want B,E,T,T,E,R .

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Well on a happier note - I posted a parcel via Register Post to England on Friday afternoon and the recipient got it this morning at 9am. Now that was fast. Not as fast as the time I posted an item on Saturday morning to Austria and yer man got it on the following Monday..

And I got a parcel posted on a Monday in Austria, which arrived here on Thursday! And the Finns are very fast too. And the Dutch. And the poor old British are not too bad either. In fact, the post is much more reliable than courier companies in general, in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 reesie

haha it gets better...

I was expecting a package yesterday (Friday 22nd) so checked the status online to discover that the driver needed directions. Noone had contacted me for directions so I'm not sure what the driver was going to do next so I rang UPS to find out what the story was..
    Apparently they had an incomplete address for me.. according to them the sender had not provided the full address but not sure who to believe there..
    Anyway, I was told that because of Christmas hours I could now expect to receive my package on the 2nd of January. I was disgusted to hear this because the items I'm waiting on are Christmas presents (yes, it may sound like I left things late but I ordered these things at the end of November and had issues with the seller). So the dude on the phone told me I could pick the package up today, Saturday. This doesn't suit me at all beacuse I don't drive but agreed as I needed these items before Christmas. When I got off the phone I also emailed UPS to confirm the address and opening hours. I received a prompt reply and was told the centre in Finglas were aware I would be collecting my package.
    I arrived at the centre at about half 11... (Here's the fun bit) to discover people waiting since half 8 for the UPS idiots to find their packages.. Apparently "they have 20,000 undelivered packages in their warehouse so its hard to find things"
    I was simply told "no dunno where it is.. you'll have to take a seat" to which I thought no thanks and gave them my number and asked that they call me when they found it.. I never did hear from them.. and I can only wonder if those people that were waiting when I left will be having their turkey there on Monday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've dealt with them once or twice and i got the impression they're the type of crowd who like to be very professional - either I was wrong or some of their employees are just a shower of ba*tards...

I stand by DHL as a great courier though, second-2-none in my experience.

Try a complaint after Xmas.

• Advertisement

All I can say is, Sdonn1, if you've had a good experience with DHL, I would really like to know your secret, and I don't think I'm the only one.
    However, goods sent last weekend by Hermes from Germany arrived yesterday in good time and in perfect condition.
    I think Hermes and Interlink are stars, they seem totally reliable. If they can do it, why can't others? I've no experience with UPS, but they sound like DHL to me, and I can do without that. Unless, of course, DHL are pulling up their socks recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 reesie

if you have any kind of a choice, DO NOT USE THESE GUYS!!!

I am still waiting on my package :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Yeh, ups are useless, my mp3 player coming from america "got lost" en route. Thankfully paypal insurance came to the rescue. Wont be using them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DublinDan

I had a similar problem in Cork. Got a laptop battery "delivered" by UPS. Two attempted deliveries, five phone calls, and a supposed pick-up at a store in Cork City (the package was never sent into the store) all failed to solve the problem. The phone number on the "We tried to deliver a package" docket (marked UPS Ireland) directs you to customer support in the UK who are unable to do anything for Irish customers. When I finally did pick up the product (by taking the morning off work and driving myself to their depot) I filled out a complaint form which promised that "a member of our customer support staff will contact you within two business days". That was four months ago, and surprise surprise I have heard nothing since.

Needless to say, I am never, ever using them for any delivery service and would warn anyone else away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPS are no worse than DHL , believe me.

Advertisement