Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband launches mobile broadband card

Options
  • 22-11-2006 8:19pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9849795.html
    Irish Broadband has launched a new mobile broadband access card it calls 'Go'. The company said the card was an important step in evolving its network to a WiMax standard. The mobile card features up to 512kbps download speeds and no usage caps. The card costs EUR99, with a monthly charge of EUR39.95. Coverage is initially available in Dublin and will become available in Cork, Galway and Limerick next year. Irish Broadband is offering two months of a 12-month contract free of charge for customers who place an order before 30 November

More information from http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=439

Expensive enough but could be useful for some people, couldn't find the T&C's after a quick look, its very suspect that there's "no usage caps"

I think at this stage Dublin has plenty of coverage from numerous providers, makes you wounder is their a need for this product in light of Vodafones offering and Three's future offerings

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Be handy for browsing while you're floating around I guess.

Don't think I'd pay 40 euro a month for that luxury though.

I can live with spothopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I don't think they'll push much of these, Ripwave MX products, way too expensive for 512Mb seeing that unit support up 1.6MBit with 0.8Bit upload. whats wrong with opening up your technology and getting the most out of it while you still can!. as their just be a better thing around the corner.

If you want it Quick and Easy!, @ €15 per month above 1MBit preformace, decent coverage!, and VoIP Actally works. then i'll buy it.

For now a WiFi hotspot is beats it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Looks cool - tbh its aint got brillant speeds and there are no usage caps but it looks like its more aimed at the mobile user market.

This kind of tech shows so much promise though ... the way intel and such invest/promote in technology like this maybe someday you will have Wifi and WiMax chips built into laptops with a proper IEEE spec to support this type of data communication. So your laptop is ISP independent - result (fingers crossed) ... means more of a choice of ISP's (pay as go?) , more competetion, more coverage, lower prices, better packages ...

Advertisement