Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiss and Distortion on W810i

• 22-11-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm planning to buy a W810i, but have heard that there is a problem with hiss and distortion when the phone plays audio files. is this true? since i am thinking of using the phone as an mp3 player, you can understand my concern.
    also, i have only used nokia phones. is the switch to SE a traumatic one?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

SE have much better sound than Nokias. The only time I ever got any bit of distortion was when I played a crappyily converted file (64kbps) over the speaker, rather than the headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

I had used Nokia handsets since I was 15 years old until 12 months ago I decided for a change and went with a K750i. I loved it and most recently upgraded to the K800i. I'm an advocate of SE now and it was very easy to get use to the change!! Can't say I have any complaints with the audio on the K800i; the handset is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

jbthatsme wrote:
    I'm planning to buy a W810i, but have heard that there is a problem with hiss and distortion when the phone plays audio files. is this true? since i am thinking of using the phone as an mp3 player, you can understand my concern.
    also, i have only used nokia phones. is the switch to SE a traumatic one?

cheers.
    I'm in the same position myself, will be upgrading in a couple of weeks time and looking at phones at the moment.

With regards to features, Sony Ericsson W810i does seem to be the best option, but the hiss problem is quoted everywhere online...

I'm moving up from a Motorola V3 (which I found crap), but is the noise in the W810i really that bad?

If anyone with experience with this phone, let me know what you think.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought this phone 4 weeks ago from Carphone warehouse. I've returned it twice and am on my third phone all because of the hissing and load electrical popping clicks the phone emits when playing MP3's. I'm going in today to demand a refund to buy a different phone.

To add a bit more detail to the problem when you play an MP3 and there is no audio the hiss gets louder and then tends to distort the sound at the start of the soung. If you skip to the next few tracks you will get loud pops which are really annoying.

Once a song is playing the sound quality is superb though it's just a real shame about the other 2 issues.

Imo if your paying nearly €300 for a new phone which is branded as an MP3 walkman you would expect better quality from the music player. SE seem uninterested in this issue having trawled the web researching the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

One of the best mp3 player phones - Motorola ROKR E2 (doesn't use the rubbish iTunes interface)

Use up to 2Gb SD (as well as micro-SD, mini-SD, MMC) cards.

Costs less than E200...

Check mobilereview.com - stated as the best mp3 phone right now

Camera is sub-par though.

There was a skipping problem that got solved by a firmware update.

And since you had a moto the migration should be painless (although the E2 is based on linux...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I have the K610im, and there is no hiss on it either. The sound quality, while not as good as my iPod, which might also be related to the iPod headphones being a bit better than what SE included with my phone, is still pretty damn good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh and just to say the E2 has a 3.5mm socket built in (so you can use your iPod/Sennheiser etc. headphones :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jbthatsme

would it be fair to say that there is currently no phone on the market that can also act as an mp3 player of roughly nano quality and storage? i know there is the nokia n91, but this is bulky and expensive, and i've heard it has snags. SE950? also highly expensive. i was thinking SE810 and memory card, but fear poor audio quality. anything else coming along? should i just hold off for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i have a w800i and didnt experience any of the hissing your talking about and was using a 4gb card

Im currently getting the new w850i which has the new walkman interface which is completely upgraded and ill be using my ggig card with that so yeah

The k750i also with a high cap card will do the trick its not a walkman phone but still of vgood quaility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm bringing back my 810i tomorrow and getting the W300i instead. The low hiss/distortion and clicks has driven me mad on the 810i.

• Advertisement
Advertisement