Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My name's cerebus and I'm a bikeaholic

Options
  • 22-11-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I happened to be reading this thread and responded with a semi-joking suggestion that maybe everyone should have two beater bikes (summary: one for turbo-trainer use, one for winter riding - details in the other thread).

Much to my dismay, I found myself considering this afterwards and realized that in actual fact this suggestion made sense to me. Just wondering if anyone else has more bikes than most people would consider strictly necessary?

A quick inventory of the bikes that we have in the house shows the following. For the most part, each has their place and fulfills a niche role. Bear in mind that there are three of us - one of whom is still using training wheels.

- Rocky Mtn full sus (all day rides, race bike)
    - Specialized full sus (all day rides, race bike)
    - Rocky hardtail (race bike)
    - Kona hardtail (loaner for visitors)
    - Lemond road bike (race bike, summer road, winter cyclocross)
    - Nishiki road bike (older - used as a winter bike, or on the turbo trainer)
    - Trek 800 (commuter with slicks, also used to pull daughter's bike buggy)
    - Frankenbike (wife's commuter - mishmash of old steel road bike frame with straight bars, some older MTB parts)
    - $99 Walmart POS (bought by some friends when they were on a kayak trip nearby and used as a shuttle bike, left with us as they didn't want to bring it home. May fulfill the same role in the future)

Kids bikes:
    - 2 tricycles and a small-frame single-speed/coaster brake with training wheels

With the exception of the Walmart POS, everything else has a valuable function (though our 3-year old daughter has probably moved on from the tricycle stage). I'm even currently considering buying another race bike for the road so that the Poprad isn't being asked to do something it isn't really optimized for. (I'll keep you all updated if I do pick something up, don't worry!)

Edit: forgot to add that I went and rode at a velodrome for the first time last Friday - may have to add a fixed-gear/track bike to the list as well.

So, my question is how many bikes is too many? If I rationalize things for myself and go ahead and pick up another bike or two, where will the madness end?

Anyone else willing to put their hand up and say that yes, they too have a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm happy enough with 2 bikes for the moment. And my mates already think I'm crazy for spending 300 quid on a front light ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

6 and counting... (2 x road, 2 x off-road, 2 x track)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I've three and half.

*on-one il pompino fixed wheel for cycling to train station from home and shopping, and just riding around on really.
    *old peugeot fixed wheel for cycling from train station to Ranelagh
    *on-one inbred hardtail mountain bike for off-roading
    *nice old steel mercian racing bike frame, recently acquired, which i want to build up into a audax/sportif bike next summer.

*fiancee has mountain bike hybrid built up by me.

I wouldn't mind a 29er single speed mountain bike.

Only issue is storage space, really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Santa Cruz Bullit - MTB
    Commute bike
    BMX
    Baracuda mtb - in pieces in garage, never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You're nuts, nuts I tells you! I have just two, my main tourer/commuter/leisure rides bike and a "to get stolen" hybrid.

Mind you I am thinking of buying a light/carbon road bike shortly. And maybe a MTB...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Orbit Orion hybrid

Don't really have the need or budget for another bike TBH, the Orion does everything I need of it, it's an incredibly reliable and resiliant machine and it's reasonably well kitted out (new front light and brakes would be nice, but that's about it). It's equally happy to take me along the streets, across cobbles or down the ass-end of a dirty slope in a park!

If I had the money I would get myself a fixie with narrow handlebars for commuting into town: they're much less nickable and probably more controllable in the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've 4 bikes and partner has 3. They have their own room in the house. Mine are a mtb for fun, a hybrid for commuting, a trek on the turbo (prob too good for the turbo though) and my race bike. I'm thinking of taking the Dura ace off the trek and converting it to a winter training bike to make myself actually go out in winter rather than just turbo. Himself has a winter road bike, a race bike and a mtb. Our house is a permanent workshop and laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

If I had the money I would get myself a fixie with narrow handlebars for commuting into town: they're much less nickable and probably more controllable in the traffic.

There's a scheme in the UK to get bikes tax free so long as you use them to get to work. You could try persuading your employer a fixie is essential in London - all the couriers have them.

http://www.leedscyclists.org.uk/Tax%20breaks.htm#Cut%20price%20bikes

M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, I indeed wish we had that here. The way it works is that your employer buys the bike outright and loans it to you as a non-taxable benfit in kind. You can however agree to have your salary reduced to cover the cost your employer expends on the bike, so there are tax benefits to your employer too (e.g. they buy you a bike for £500, and you agree that your salary is reduced by £500 over a three-year period, so they don't have to pay national insurance on that portion of your salary.) At the end of the "loan" period you can buy the bike for a nominal amount.

There's no limit to the value of the bike, although there is a £1,000 limit if your employer wants to avoid having to get a Consumer Credit Licence. Beyond that the more expensive the more your employer actually stands to save after the upfront cost.

See here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_susttravel/documents/page/dft_susttravel_038228-01.hcsp

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/faqs.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Ye are all completely insane.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ash h

I have 2 hardtails 2 bmxs and a full sus dh bike on the way.I also have a barracuda full sus in pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I'm on my second car, but still have more spent on bikes.
    1 downhill hardtail (being built)
    2 xc hardtails (one being unbuilt for donor parts for downhill bike)
    1 road bike

And in the bike graveyard - 1 complete claude butler mtb, 2 other dismantled cheapo mtbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

Buff, so many bikes when you can only ride one at a time!! And some still give out about women owning 40 pairs of shoes!! ;-)

Advertisement