Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Piercing

Options
  • 22-11-2006 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hello! :D

I really wanna get my tongue pierced. Just curious bout a few things... How sore is it??? If anyone has nipple pierced and tongue give me a comparisson!!! :D

I recently got braces, and have a plastic retainer that ive to wear all the time, until i get the new one which i only wear at night. Would the piercing pull off back of retainer? im not exactly lucky when comes to piercings... :rolleyes:

and how long do i gotta go without solid food???!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

dunno about pain, shouldnt be a factor.
    i personally didnt think it was painful.

i had mine with braces and it was fine, i havnt cracked or broken teeth, currently im wearing a retainer and its causing no problems.

depends on the person. about a week. (my sister was eating solid food the next day) where as i refused to eat for a few days, then had some mushroom soup and refused to eat again for another few days. i cant stand the taste of mushroom soup at all now.
    try and eat somthing (soup ect) otherwise it will be painful and nauseating when you start again after the week or so...

hope i helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

It's not that painful at all. Stings a bit, but that's about it.

Food....well ice cream is your friend. Pretty much all I ate for a week was ice cream and ice cubes. The swelling, no matter how slight, it a pain in the arse, but I was rather annoyed when it went down leaving me with a bar that was far too big for my mouth. Once it's changed out though, you're sorted. It heals really quickly and is pretty hassle free overall. Be careful for the first couple of weeks when eating though, as you *will* bite down on it at least once.

I'd mention it to my orthodontist next visit though - some dentists won't treat people with oral piercings as they think that metal in mouth = shattered teeth. If your retainer is full palate, I'd hang on til you're down to the night retainer before getting it done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Ice= good

Ice cream= bad

Also other dairy products.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Mashed banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Phenobarbidoll

I was advised to eat icecream when I got mine done, though that's quite a few years ago now!
    I stand corrected :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

I was looking to get my tongue peierced too and tte guy said that I have a vein running the underneath and I couldn't have it done. Did anyone else have this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Im sure other have the same 'problem', its not really a problem as such, just means you cant pierce your tongue through the centre. everyone is made different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I've seen a few people with a vein there depending on how big it is piercing it at an angle is an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I was looking to get my tongue peierced too and tte guy said that I have a vein running the underneath and I couldn't have it done. Did anyone else have this problem?

Its quite common to have veins in the middle of your tongue but as Emmett says sometimes its possible to pierce at an angle past it but if a decent piercer said they wouldnt do it, they know what their talking about. Clipping that vein can cause nasty complications so just move on, get something else pierced instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Id have to say the ones done at an angle look pretty bad...no offense. My gf is a piercer and just wouldnt do it if there was a vein cos sideways looks (and Iv heard feels)silly.

Oh and get a plastic ball till your used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Just make sure that you size down the bar when the swelling has gone. The bar I have is rather short so it's rare for me to bite it and I can't play with it.
    Actually my only issue with my tongue piercing is when I get sick or rundown my tongue swells and I need to take the bar out or it gets painful.
    The actual piercing didn't hurt at all but I couldn't eat solids for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

stingy wrote:
    Hello! :D

I really wanna get my tongue pierced. Just curious bout a few things... How sore is it??? If anyone has nipple pierced and tongue give me a comparisson!!! :D

I recently got braces, and have a plastic retainer that ive to wear all the time, until i get the new one which i only wear at night. Would the piercing pull off back of retainer? im not exactly lucky when comes to piercings... :rolleyes:

and how long do i gotta go without solid food???!!!
    Its not sore at all when you're getting it done. But the bar is very strange and alkward and it gets a bit sore afterwards, then it swells a bit, i only got mine in on friday so i'm not sure whats ahead of me. I'm eating solid food again in small pieces, can get a bit sore tho.

In comparison to the nipple, the nipple is much more painful when getting done but after its fine. Tongues are more functional than nipples so naturally you're gonna have more difficulty getting on with your usual stuff for a while afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MW

I was very lucky. I was able to talk properly straight after getting it done. It didn't hurt a bit. Just a bit strange having it in your mouth for the first few weeks. You will bite it though so be prepared for that. I didn't eat solid foods for one day, just had soup. Also my tongue didn't swell that much. As I said I was very lucky, I know another girl who got it done when we were in school, her tongue tripled in size, it went purple and kept bleeding so needless to say she had to take it out quicksmart. Best of luck with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Btw the plastic ball bit of my post was so you dont break your teeth. I broke 3 of mine cos of having a metal ball! Maybe just bad luck tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

that or your teeth are just brittle.. never happened to anyone i know or that have gotten pierced in out shop.. (well no one has come back and said it to us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 stingy

cool, thanks! my friend who has hers done said i can't because of the vein but my other friend who also\has it done says it same as hers! but her piercing isn't at an angle. i REALLY wanna get it done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

I have completely moved on and got something else pierced instead. I just wondered if anybody else had the same thing going on. It's such a shame. I love tongue piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

My best mate had hers done at the side. It looked really crap, to be honest with ya.

i've had my tongue pierced for years and years now. teeth are fine and I've always had a metal ball... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Pain = little to none, slightly uncomfortable but meh.

Braces = dunno, never had em

Food = was eatin solids the same day, the key is cut things so small there's little to no chewing required and eat in the side of your mouth.

However, DO NOT give head for at least three months after, thought I was alright after two months and it caused some irritation!

Advertisement