Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G ?? Benefits

• 22-11-2006 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Would anyone be willing to give me a brief explanation of the benefits of having a 3G phone right now? What you can do for free..what You can pay for above and beyond any free content?

I'm with O2 and am thinking of upgrading to the SE K800i which I noticed is a 3G enabled phone.

I've looked around the forums and did some searches online but can't seem to find a clear explanation of 3G and how it works and the cost implications.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Would anyone be willing to give me a brief explanation of the benefits of having a 3G phone right now? What you can do for free..what You can pay for above and beyond any free content?

I'm with O2 and am thinking of upgrading to the SE K800i which I noticed is a 3G enabled phone.

I've looked around the forums and did some searches online but can't seem to find a clear explanation of 3G and how it works and the cost implications.

I don't know too much about 3G to be honest, however regarding the K800i and O2; O2 do not have their 3G network up and running so the handset won't be capable of operating with 3G at the moment. Also, video calling won't work while on the O2 network for the same reason. The K800i even without this is still an excellent phone and in my own personal experience, O2 are the best of the 4 networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The only thing I can say 3G is good for at the moment is mobile data. Well for me anyway.
    If I didn't have my connect card, I'd hate to come home to finish a ton of work, when I can just do in while waiting in traffic.

I have the k800i myself and it does pick up on the 3G network, as it shows an icon on the screen. But I can't get any benefit from it with the phone. The internet on the phone is still slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

Thanks for that :)

Speaking of internet..can you actually surf the net on this phone?

I've only ever used wap before and that is frankly sh*te!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Essentially, 3G means faster connection to the telephone network.

What that means in reality is, faster downloads of songs, ring tones and general data. Also, it means video calls.

TBH, I bought a phone recently and I wasn't too bothered that it wasn't 3G. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about 3G.

Thanks for that :)

Speaking of internet..can you actually surf the net on this phone?

I've only ever used wap before and that is frankly sh*te!!

Yep you can surf the web on the phone but since O2 doesn't have 3G, you're stuck with the basics (i.e. wap). Also, I agree with tom_dunne the fact that the K800i can't operate with 3G on the O2 network hasn't bothered me in the slightest.

• Advertisement

So basically..the phone is 3G enabled, but O2 are not.....

well the phone seems to be worth the upgrade anyway. I'm going from a SE T610 ..think that's the model no. anyway.

Thanks for the info lads...cheers :D

Correction..it's a T630 ..

Actually..just another quick question ..

What is the MP3 player like on this phone?

I found an excellent review online but it more or less skipped over the MP3 part. Is it any good? Expandable memory etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

I sell this stuff everyday!

As above,3G is named so in relation to the speed of the data over the air!
    It's Ghz,and 3G is a connection of around 350kbps connection!What the provider decides is best to give through its own portal may vary,but all the networks are leaning toward music and ringtones etc!
    Im afraid they have it kinda wrong a lot of the time tho,as some people pay good money(from 5 to 7 euro a shot) for mobile phone game only to find out its not playable due to the version of Java installed on there phone!This can be changed for some(mainly nokia symbian 60 handsets ie.6680 N70 N91 etc)but its a part of the business that hasn't been cleared up yet and I get an earful when something goes wrong!haha!

Oh and btw,altho a lot of us may not care about 3G,south korea is in the way of a 4.5 G and upward network connection AS STANDARD!!

oh and they have wifi over nearly all of their main cities at a connection rate of around 10mbps due to a new wifi standard there trying out!

Put that in yer pipe....can't wait to live there... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I found an excellent review online but it more or less skipped over the MP3 part. Is it any good? Expandable memory etc?

TBH there's feck all difference between MP3 players I have an iPod and a K750i and neither is better than the other sound wise mostly it depends on what headphones you use

• Advertisement

MP3 player - again no complaints. Pretty good. The memory can be expanded to 1GB at the moment I believe.

Well the reason I asked is that a mate of mine has the SE Walkman phone..and it was pretty expensive..and I read in a review that the MP3 player on the K800i was basically the same one as on the Walkman phone but just trimmed down with all "Walkman" logos and paraphenalia removed.

Well the reason I asked is that a mate of mine has the SE Walkman phone..and it was pretty expensive..and I read in a review that the MP3 player on the K800i was basically the same one as on the Walkman phone but just trimmed down with all "Walkman" logos and paraphenalia removed.

Go for the K800i man, it's much better and it's prettier!! lol

Go for the K800i man, it's much better and it's prettier!! lol

Plus the added joy of saying I got mine for €79 ...how much was yours again?..hehehe!!

Plus the added joy of saying I got mine for €79 ...how much was yours again?..hehehe!!

E49 RRP for the platinum upgrade :P I also got a E10 discount so in the end got it for E39 :P :P lol

E49 RRP for the platinum upgrade :P I also got a E10 discount so in the end got it for E39 :P :P lol

Trouble is I don't know when my next upgrade is due..so could be close to a Gold Upgrade and not know.Mind you..€79 is not bad for this phone. Just waiting for O2 to let me know when it's in stock again. BTW..did yours come with the 64mb Memory Stick Micro.?It's not all that clear from the O2 site if it does.

Trouble is I don't know when my next upgrade is due..so could be close to a Gold Upgrade and not know.Mind you..€79 is not bad for this phone. Just waiting for O2 to let me know when it's in stock again. BTW..did yours come with the 64mb Memory Stick Micro.?It's not all that clear from the O2 site if it does.

Nope didn't get a memory card with mine. I don't really need anymore memory than what is already on the handset to be honest. E79 is still an excellent price considering it's E300-E350 to buy SIM free.

If O2 retail stores don't have it, have a look at Carphone Warehouse. They seemed to be cheaper.

By the way, check the O2 website, it will tell you if you are eligible for an upgrade or not, and if you are, what level of an upgrade (i.e. gold, platinum etc). If it says you are ineligible give customer care a call and ask how long it might be until your next upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I've just got the K800i and I agree it is great phone. Appears to the best value phone at O2. The only snag I find is the poor lens cover design.

I have successfully used it as a modem to a laptop. I tested it at 120kbps in 3G areas. Also I made a call on it while simultaneously accessing the Net which I thought was pretty cool. I wouldn't recommend using it as a modem unless you are on the unlimited service because it would get very expensive.

If O2 retail stores don't have it, have a look at Carphone Warehouse. They seemed to be cheaper.

Already checked and they were €20 more expensive.. O2's online store seems to be the cheapest at my Upgrade Bonus level. I don't need it super urgent or anything so guess I'll wait.

Already checked and they were €20 more expensive.. O2's online store seems to be the cheapest at my Upgrade Bonus level. I don't need it super urgent or anything so guess I'll wait.

The problem with the O2 store is that they seem to be out of stock of it for a long time - going on 8 plus weeks at least. You might be able to go into Carphone Warehouse and do a price match and get it for the same price as advertised on the O2 webstore. I'm not sure if this would work as a price match might just be for retail outlets.

Yellabelly, the lens cover is my only complaint about the K800i; it has a very plastic feel and seems to come up and down very easily (in my pocket etc).

• Advertisement
Advertisement