Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav...HELP PLEASE!!

Options
  • 22-11-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey guys...can someone please help me??!! I bought a Garmin i3 Streetpilot on ebay and have followed all the CD Rom instructions of loading the USB cable hardware on to my laptop, connecting the unit to my computer using the USB lead and registering the product online with Garmin.

I have been advised that the unit comes in-built with Republic of Ireland mapping as it says when you turn the unit on that it's City Navigator NT v8)however the unit has no satellite coverage at all (no bars and the arrow has a question mark flashing on it) and therefore is not loading any ROI mapping.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Would appreciate any help please! Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Lauren555 wrote:
    Hey guys...can someone please help me??!! I bought a Garmin i3 Streetpilot on ebay and have followed all the CD Rom instructions of loading the USB cable hardware on to my laptop, connecting the unit to my computer using the USB lead and registering the product online with Garmin.

I have been advised that the unit comes in-built with Republic of Ireland mapping as it says when you turn the unit on that it's City Navigator NT v8)however the unit has no satellite coverage at all (no bars and the arrow has a question mark flashing on it) and therefore is not loading any ROI mapping.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Would appreciate any help please! Thanx

Hi,

1. Make sure you are using the device with a clear view of the sky......

2. Download upgrades/documentations etc. from
    http://www.garmin.com/products/spi3/

3. contact your supplier

Regards
    ET

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As per 619C, take it outside, leave it for a few minutes (up to 10 mins). When the Garmin has not been used in a certain part of the world, it takes a while for it to figure out where it is, download the latest almanac data, and locate the satellite signals.

Not too sure about your particular device, but many GPS devices will not get any satellite signals indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lauren555

Thanx so much 4 yr help guys - I'll give that all a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

yeah ye are right - i forgot about that - if you move it over a few 1000 km then it has to reinitialise itself by looking at the satellites for longer
    Also if you turn it on for the first time it will take longer also.
    Not sure if you have an external antenna/aerial on your unit or even if one is available but i have found in some cars that the newer windscreens have a thin layer of metal in them which degrades the signal so you are better to initalise it out in the open - bring a raincoat....

Advertisement