Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] So I saw my consultant this evening...

• 22-11-2006 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Twas a mix of good and bad news, first the good my HbA1c level is down to 6.2, the bad my cholesterol level is 4.5, which would be fine if not diabetic. He wants it down to 3 so I'm going to take pills, my blood pressure is 155/80 which is higher than ideal - guess what? Some more pills! I'll start rattling.

The other thing we discussed is doing a trial for an inhaler type insulin dispenser which is new to the market, I'll get info about that in a while.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

155/80 would only be very slightly high (presuming you are in your forties mike)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You presume correctly damn you! :D Us diabetics have to walk a line thats thinner then those who are not.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The target blood pressure in diabetes is less than 130/80, and 125/75 if there is any protein in urine.

Research shows that good blood pressure control is more important than tight blood sugar control in protecting kidneys and general outcomes.

I've had the new inhaled insulin demonstrated to me and we are currently looking for people who may be interested. Its exciting stuff and certainly saves needles, although the long acting insulin will still need to be injected.

Advertisement