Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replcement Security Barrels for PVC /Aluminium doors?

Options
  • 22-11-2006 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There's been a few attempted break ins in my area where the burglar has tried to burst out the lock on the door to gain entry.A local lock smith is supplying new security barrels as a replacement to the existing ones whereby they cannot be bursted or forced open.We have in total 4 doors in our house (Front and side door which are aluminium and 2 sets of French Doors whcih are pvc at the back of the house).I believe it's a fairly simple job to replace them , but does anybody know where I could purchase these and install them myself? The locksmith is charging €260 to supply and fit them.By the way I'm in the Navan area.

Thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Try your local hardware shops. I got a replacement barrell in a local locksmith a few years ago but the replaced that with a higher security one I bought in France.

Replacing them is a doddle -just remove the blt that holds them in - when the door is open .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If your in town try the lock company on capel st, depending on the type and level of security they range from about 20 quid up.We had an aluminium sliding door for many years that had a very basic type of lock,so basic infact that the door could be lifted off when locked, so it may be an idea to upgrade the mechanism in the alu doors if they are of an old design (our one was from the 70's) newer pvc lock mechanism's seem to be of a better design,some with several dead bolts along the lenght.I'm not sure if the non dublicating key's,usually with a plastic square head used on main doors in apartment blocks etc,,are a better lock than the normal,although they cost a lot more.

Oh btw, I have had to break in to apartments on many occasions where dodgy tenants have done a runner and a key couldn't be found and drilling 20mm into the lock with progressivly bigger drill bits and then a screw driver was all that was needed to open them. These were the same type of locks that go in pvc doors. So think about an alarm if you dont have one, maybe with a tamper sensor on your doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have an alarm installed and arm it every night, but you never know if we are not in the house these guys would set off the alarm and wait for a reaction, but we have our neighbour who is a keyholder.I am thinking also about installing outdoor sensor lights which is also suppossed to be a good deterent

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Moanin

Im the process of replacing my euro cylinders.

There really easy to install and take out. Once out you need to measure the lenght of the cylinder + each end to the middle of the screw hole

eg 80mm long 35mm x 45mm each end to the middle.

There are several kinds of cylinder locks... I have gone for 6pin anti pick and anti drill and one of these on each of my doors.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110057077678&rd=1&rd=1

The guy selling these is really good I have bought all my locks from him.

You can also get anti-snap cylinder locks which snap leaving the lock still in place.

There is a forum call Loc Picking 101 guide they seem to have some really useful advice.
    http://www.lockpicking101.com/index.php?sid=9e83ecbf39626cbecdfe8650e45a3858

hope this helps

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Moanin wrote:
    Hi all,

There's been a few attempted break ins in my area where the burglar has tried to burst out the lock on the door to gain entry.A local lock smith is supplying new security barrels as a replacement to the existing ones whereby they cannot be bursted or forced open.We have in total 4 doors in our house (Front and side door which are aluminium and 2 sets of French Doors whcih are pvc at the back of the house).I believe it's a fairly simple job to replace them , but does anybody know where I could purchase these and install them myself? The locksmith is charging €260 to supply and fit them.By the way I'm in the Navan area.

Thanks

Amde the mistake of changing the locks in my new house. did'nt trust the fact keys were left to let the builders & various trades etc in & out. Anyway i spent 150 quid to call out a crowd to fit and replace locks.. I went to B&Q a few days later and saw the barrels there for 15 quid each.. it should have cost me 45 quid the rest was all 10 mins of his labour..

Get them in a hardware & fit yourself.. incredibly easy to do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I would still go to a locksmith rather than Woodies or B&Q. both for advice and a range of products, you dont have to buy from them and you get an idea then what you want. Dont just go for the regular 5 pin brass units.

Spend some money on your locks and get protected.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

proper locks are likeinsurance expensive, when you havent got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Similar question but wooden doors. Can anyone tell me how to replace Yale/Chubb barrels in a wooden door.

I'd need an idiots guide to be honest as I've never done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

On the Yale barrells etc, take off the lock from the inside. There shoule be a ring secured by two screws to the barrell, remove both screws ans the barrell should pop out from the front.

Reguarding the security locks. If you post a picture of what you're looking for we might be able to help.

Advertisement