Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Guns Abroad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Has anyone met someone at the port and brought it that way (please I mean ensuring all legal avenues explored). Apply for license here, apply for license in the UK????

or are we still looking at import etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tony, let me get this right :

I can import a rifle from the states once the paper work is right on their end by the dealer (FFL) on the strenght on a licence for the said gun.

Also I think I would not have to Pay duty if the Rifle was test fired and hence was secondhand or used.

Would this be right??

FS

Pretty much correct.Apart from the duty side,and FFL side.It has to be exported from a FFL dealer that has State Dept clearence to export outisde CONUS.It can take a bit of convincing to prove "used" condition.;).Only other difficulty would be if you are buying a semi rifle or now a tactical/sniper rifle. They now fall under the International Trafficking Arms Regulation? [ITAR].You just sign an end user certificate,that this is for your use only,and you are not going to sell it on to some fellow in a turban,beard and Cammo jacket.Who has on his FAC an address in Tora Bora,Afghanistan.:).
    This ITARS is now the reason a lot of folks here are having trouble getting rifle scopes,etc from the USA.Not Homeland Security!!!
    ITARS is too easy to fall foul of as a gun dealer,exporter etc,and too ambigious and wide ranging for most companies to take the risk.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Cheers G.

It has 150 rounds through it, is a.308 so it is a secondhand buy :D:

RugerMK2308.jpg

Price $1100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Cheers G.

It has 150 rounds through it, is a.308 so it is a secondhand buy :D:

RugerMK2308.jpg

Price $1100
    That is one handsome rifle FS;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Had me watering at the mouth anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Looks nice for sure FS but bipod position is bit suspect??
    And what kinda hand would you need for that grip??
    Any idea who makes this stock?

[
    Any idea who makes this stock?
    And what kinda hand would you need for that grip
    [/QUOTE]

Big Foot perhaps??:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

:D:D:D...but how did you know he shoots with his feet:D??

As for reloading,would it be illegal to pull bullets and refill,sacrifice a round for every 12/15.
    Or say you/gun like Lapua brass but cant get a specific bullet you/gun likes??
    Swop Lapua bullet with bullet from another manufac.
    Banannas?
    Would owning reloading equipment be deemed to be illegal also?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Equipment wouldn't be illegal (though might cause you some hassle - know of cases where it has) but powder or primers would. Realistically, I wouldn't go poking the bear of justice until we get clarification via the rewritten explosives legislation.

• Advertisement

Equipment wouldn't be illegal (though might cause you some hassle - know of cases where it has) but powder or primers would. Realistically, I wouldn't go poking the bear of justice until we get clarification via the rewritten explosives legislation.
    Wont be poking/worst thing that could happen right now is for someone getting caught with reloading consumables,i can imagine the hullabulloo!!and would play nicely into the hands of all against.
    But i was talking more about swopping components around IWM,would that be deemed illegal??

kakashka wrote: »
    As for reloading,would it be illegal to pull bullets and refill,sacrifice a round for every 12/15.
    Or say you/gun like Lapua brass but cant get a specific bullet you/gun likes??
    Swop Lapua bullet with bullet from another manufac.
    Banannas?
    Would owning reloading equipment be deemed to be illegal also?

No ,you can do this one all right here.:eek:It was had out in a district court decision in Donegal,in the early 90s if I remember right.It was dismissed as not reloading,but customising your ammo.
    At the moment it isnt illegal to own the equipment either.Just the powder and primers without the explosive liscenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well, it can still be done but you need to have a good RFD on the other side, They need to have what is called a single individual export license(SIEL) and the rest of the forms are exactly the same as they are here. There is an EC3 form which is the same as our Article 11 but the problem is that dealers cannot just sell you the gun and you rock up with a airline ticket and disappear off into the western sky, the dealer needs to provide proof of export to the BERR (used to be DTI) to get the firearm off his books.
    The BERR/ECO now require all dealers to provide details of a Carrier who will ensure carriage of the gun in question to the end user.
    So the only way you can import from the UK now from this side is to have a carrier bring it over. Cost is £170-210, which kind of nullifies the saving to be made.
    Visitors permits won't allow the aquisition of firearms in the UK.
    I have explored all avenues open to me but am just resigned to paying the Courier £170 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bad news for UK imports, that.
    Mind you, I'd have more in mind things like egun.de and other places on the continent. But still, if this applies to all the UK (inc. NI) then that's going to be a major pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Get the UK RFD to courier it to the north, far less paperwork, costs about £45 via TNT. Then deal with the RFD in the north. That's what I'm doing at the moment. Bit complex, but it would be an enormous amount moreso and cost a small fortune to deal direct.

It seems to be a major PITA.
    The Brits when they make a law, follow it to the Nth degree.
    I also asked about ammo apparently any expanding ammo is classed as Schedule 5 (prohibited) BUT if you are a stalker and have a schedule 1 license you get an automatic exemption for sched 5 ammo.
    So FMJ ammo is OK but hunting ammo is not, very strange.

Get the UK RFD to courier it to the north, far less paperwork, costs about £45 via TNT. Then deal with the RFD in the north. That's what I'm doing at the moment. Bit complex, but it would be an enormous amount moreso and cost a small fortune to deal direct.
    Thats why I said get a good RFD. My guy will get the EC3 license and deal with all the paperwork and only charge me what the courier costs.
    The EC3/Art.11 is a standard EU document to notify firearm movements, here it is a simple matter, over there they have to prove End User etc, maybe it comes down to having an arms industry?

Link to guidance document.
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file50843.pdf

Update on my situation, I have the FAC and the Article 11 issued by the Irish authorities, and was waiting for a call from the courier.
    Today I got a call from the UK RFD saying that apparently the Article 11 is not good enough and I need another document for importation?
    I am at a loss as to what else I need, going by the DOJ website once I have my FAC and Art.11 I need nothing else.
    Jebus this is nothing but a PITA and I strongly advise anyone thinking of importing from the UK to think again and buy from the continent.
    I will have to give the firearms and explosives crowd a ring tomorrrow and find out what I need to satisfy the crowd of pedantic so and so's in the BERR.
    Anyone have any advice as to what else I can do?

Advertisement