Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out next Tuesday

Options
  • 23-11-2006 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi. I am moving out next Tuesday. It is the end of the 6 month contract. Basically for 5 months the landlady and myself have just about tolerated ourselves. She needed someone in, and I made a quick move from my parents and it seemed perfect. I got huge butterflies moving in. Basically she turned out what I thought she would be a cleaning freak. At the start of November I gave in my notice. She started asking questions why, who will replace you and I want my bed sheets back. Proves she was interested in the money most of all to pay the mortgage.

I have the kept the place very tidy to keep her happy. I unfortunately had an incident where red wine splashed the wall and she rang me complaining basically says she was very upset about it as if the world has collapsed. I said I would paint but heard nothing afterwards.

On the following Tuesday (7th November) she tried to kick me out of the house by saying she had found someone else and could I move out Thursday. I went crazy telling her she can't do that and who the hell does she think she is. She basically was going to give me nothing back and put any proceeds from the deposit into the bank account (I am sure she would make up enough stains to give me nothing back). I said about the contract and one months noticeand she gave in.

I do not want the deposit back and cleanness has gone out of the way since that evening. I am not paying the bills for the last month and I think we will not say another word to eachother if we can avoid it before Tuesday. I do not intend cleaning my room and will just leave with my gear. I have not deliberately damaged anything except for a few stains. After the deposit can you report me for leaving some rubbish or having a few stains?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

she sounds like a **** , your well entitled to your deposit back dont let her screw you over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Does she live in the property as well? If so, you have no legal rights whatsoever, but you should pay your bills and demand your deposit back.

If she doesn't live in the property, the significance of six months is that after that you can stay in the property for the next three and a half years so long as you abide by the rules and she doesn't to sell, move in herself or renovate.

As for stains, so long as they are reasonable wear and tear you are entitled to your deposit back. If you refuse to pay bills you can be pursued in court for the costs; it is unlikely this will happen if your forfeited deposit covers them. Finally, who do you think you could be reported to? Police will not be interested in a civil dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Such disputes are handled by the PRTB www.prtb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Victor wrote:
    Such disputes are handled by the PRTB www.prtb.ie

If it's under the Rent a Room scheme I don't think the PRTB will get involved.
    Threshold (www.threshold.ie) might be able to offer you advice if there are any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

The only concern I'd have would be over a reference if you needed one for the next place you try and rent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Thanks Gerire. No fear there! I won't be asking for one but I could imagine the one she would give me if she did!!!!!!:D

Advertisement