Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell 5150 overheating and the US Class Action

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've got a 5160 and left my details on the following site. I've yet to hear whether being in Ireland makes any diference. If you look on the Lawyer's site you'll see that they were part of the 5150 etc class action.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-3.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just got a reply from the US lawyers. Any Irish lawyers want to make a name for themselves?

We do not know of any legal action being taken against Dell outside of the United States and Canada at this time. We suggest that you seek local counsel in your country of residence to determine whether any cases exist or whether you have any valid claims that you might bring against Dell.

Best regards,

Adelina Acuña
    Paralegal
    Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein
    275 Battery Street, 28th Floor
    San Francisco, CA 94111
    Phone: (415) 956-1000 ext. 2261
    Fax: (415) 956-1008
    www.lieffcabraser.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ah Jesus! Here we go again!

I have had a 5150 for the past 3 years, and sure, it does get hot. As i type this, I8kfanGUI is telling me, that the CPU is sitting at 45 degrees, and i aint got nothing else running except for firefox and zonealarm!

Fecking lazy americans! It is just common sense though to keep the fan grill clean by using compressed air and/or dyson! The fault is down to very bad design on the grill plate and flow through.

If you own a inspiron 5150, then do this often and every 6 months or so, strip down the fan and grill and clean them. (google if you dont know how to remove fan etc.)

Dell laptops... Great sandwich toasters! The only fecking thing besides the overheating problem is the battery. Mine will only hold about 25 min at the mo. I am having to keep it pluged in all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

All very well, except I bought the laptop to write software on and have no interest in delving into its innards. As for lazy Americans, more like consumers who rightly wont put up with sub-standard products from arrogant multinationals and whose complaint has been upheld in a court of law.

At this point, I'm going to write this laptop off, as its costing me more time and effort than I can afford. Any new laptop wont be a Dell, and any future professional or personal recommendations or approvals that I make wont be Dell either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In fairness DELL do more than one range of Laptop. The Latitudes are the corporate notebooks and tend to be better and Dell designed if not built, but more expensive. The Inspironsare usually OEM'd by another manufacturer, and in the case of the 5150 some of the BIOS updates were related to temperature. IIRC the 5150 was never a top spec laptop , being more of a cheap and chearful model.
    As for the 25 min battery life, Pentium Mobile laptops had nearly double the battery life as P4's back them and most manufacturers only give one years cover on the batteries. Had you bought an Inspiron at the time there is a good chance you'd have got a brand new sony battery by now.

What did they win ?, usually the award is split between lawyers fees and discount vouchers.

[unswapped] :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Justing posting to note: Be wary about using the hoover near computer fans, you can easily damage them, and the hoover tip will have a static charge.

And Capt'ns swapped inspiron with latitude above, I think.
    Current D generation (business) Latitudes are made by Samsung, from what I read? And of these, those I worked on are pretty decent/cool/quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

At this point, I'm going to write this laptop off, as its costing me more time and effort than I can afford. Any new laptop wont be a Dell, and any future professional or personal recommendations or approvals that I make wont be Dell either.

Mea culpa. I take it all back.

Dell arrived out, changed the heatsink, fan and motherboard and now all is well. Credit where credits due...

Advertisement