Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RVD and the Middle East

• 23-11-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

From Rajah who cites www.pwinsider.com so it comes with a health warning but I believe it:

Backstage at last night's ECW/SmackDown tapings, Rob Van Dam was told that he was expected to go on the company's annual holiday visit to the United States military stationed in the Middle East. If you recall, Rob Van Dam was asked to go on the trip two years ago, but he refused, and subsequently got some heat for it because he was the only person to refuse. Anyways, RVD was very upset last night after being told that he was expected to go on the trip. It's also being said that he should be really careful about upsetting Vince McMahon again, and thus its likely that he'll go on the trip this year

I have mixed views on it. It be interesting to see what others think. Should he go? Should he have the right not to go? Should he go wherever the guy that pays him tells him? etc.. etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

I dont see how he can refuse tbh, cant see a valid reason for not going, and after all vinnie mac pays the wages at the end of the week, so do as he says or off to TNA with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

it's a thorny issue, whatever the politics of the situation one thing is constant in America, Support for the Troops (if not for the war) the public could take a poor view on it, and RVD was in the bad books with the company this year for the arrest over pill possesion.
    rvd may have very valid reasons for all we know he doesn't support the conflict, and may feel uneasy going over he may have reasons to be against war, family reasons.

However wrestlers have a hard life with little family time and christmas is a time to spend with your family, Vince should remember noone turns up nowadays to see or hear him, its the stars of his company (some he made, some he didn't) that make him money they are a resource and a very abused resource to begin with he should tread carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I dont see why WWE would want to take a guy that doesnt want to go.If he doesnt agree with the politics of it thats fair enough and he shouldnt be made go and show the troops that he supports them cos thats essentially why they are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Personally I think RVD should suck it up and go. Its not like he is being asked to go out there, hold a gun, and roam the streets of Baghdad. There are so many people who would kill for the opportunity to do the job he does and this is essentially is what is being asked of him, to do what he gets paid good money for.

Regardless of what you think of WWE, or Vince, or the war, I think it is noble that they make the effort to go out there at christmas to bring some joy to the people who will put their lives on the line all over christmas, without seeing their family or be able to celebrate christmas like most of us do.

I like RVD as a wrestler but I think personality wise he walks on thin ice a bit too much and takes for granted perhaps that he could be let go for acting the mickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If he was in the military and was asked to go to Iraq, then yes he should. If he doesn't agree with the war, he shouldn't be forced to go, he's a pro wrestler and shouldn't be forced to go to a dangerous area to support something he's against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think if Vince wasn't so wary about wrestlers going to TNA Rvd would be gone from WWE by now over this and the incident earlier in the year.
    I see it as hypocritical for him to go there if he doesn't support the presence of U.S. troops in Iraq. Afterall, It seems like the Undertaker and many other wrestlers do and see it as a honour to go to Iraq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I could be wrong but I am guessing that RVDs reasons for not wanting to go have anything to do with his political opinions on the situation over there. I mean look at Foley. He was very anti war and still went out there and did his thing. And from listening to RVD, he's never come across very political. But I could be wrong.

I think its probably more to do with safety (even if the risk is very very remote) and the fact that he just wants to spend more time at home.

In fairness to RVD, he's one of the few guys in WWE that seems capable of saying no to Vince McMahon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i think wrestlers should have the right to not go if they dont support the war,in fairness not many people do support it,i can understand vince wanting to cheer up the troops but that doesnt mean people who dont feel comfortable going should feel threatened about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I guess there is two aspects to it really.

Firstly, if he feels strongly against the war then I guess he should have the perogative to not go, personally I am against the war but still feel it is very worthwhile what the WWE is doing and if it was me, I'd go.

However, if it is more down to safety and wanting to spend time with his family, then I think he is being somewhat selfish. I want to stress that this is purely my opinion and I know others will disagree but, if its a safety issue then I think RVD should think about what it must feel like to be a combatant in that scenario 24/7 for months on end as oppossed to 24hr stopover to meet troops where there will be heavy security.

Just one mans opinion though. Flame away.

• Advertisement

i feel RVDs desire to go may stem out of a pacifist stance (funny to imagine a guy who does what he does being a pacifist) but if thats his nature then as stated its his prerogative not to go,

as for wanting to spend time at home with his family again i'd support him anyone who knows a wrestlers schedule knows how lonely it is and how long they are on the road, this loneliness and hard life has led many to abuse narcotics and drink, and if getting to visit his family keeps him happy and off the harder stuff then i'd be happy for it,
    as for safety 3,700 civilians died in iraq last MONTH alone, mostly in baghdad itself. i wouldn't blame anyone not going it's obvious that the army can't protect the civilians.

the last 2 times they have gone to iraq they have been flying around the city in helicopters...who can guarantee that one helicopter with a few wrestlers in it wont get shot down......afterall this month has been the bloodiest month in iraq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I remember the fuss about it 2 years ago, I think it was Luther Reigns who initally said he didn't want to go, but when he was told it was expected of him and it'd be a bad move not to go, he changed his mind. RVD obviously didn't. I remembered something about an attack near them on that tour, I looked it up there, a report on WWE.com said:
    OUTSIDE TIKRIT, Iraq: Mick Foley was eating breakfast with Big Show, Charlie Haas, Eddie Guerrero and some others at the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Paliwoda last week, when he heard a loud explosion.

"We were assured by one of the officers that it was outgoing," said Foley, in Iraq with a team of WWE Superstars for a holiday SmackDown! broadcast." A moment later, we heard another explosion. That was incoming. Soldiers went scrambling around for their (bulletproof) jackets and helmets, and we did, too.

So if it's his safety RVD's worried about, then his concerns would seem to be justified, and I wouldn't blame him at all. If it's his political beliefs, I'd feel the same. Someone above mentioned the public possibly taking a poor view on RVD for not going, but I really doubt anyone's going to care that much, most WWE fans wouldn't even be aware of him not going

Just lookin around a bit more, found this from an interview with the man himself:
    -- James mentions Internet reports stating that Rob "refused" to go to Iraq for Christmas in Iraq in December. Rob responds with the fact that refused is not the choice of word to use in this situation. He opted not to go because for one, he had no desire to visit that part of the world, but also because he had been on the road 51 weeks out of the year and was looking forward to spending an extra week for Christmas and his birthday with his family. When it became a voluntary choice and he had heard that the area may not have been as safe as they had previously been told it became a no brainer for him.

I'd say fair enough. If he wants to be with his family then he should be allowed to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

He shouldn't refuse if it'll get him in hot water, but he shouldn't have been put in the position in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

He shouldn't refuse if it'll get him in hot water

I don't think he cares too much about that. TNA would always be happy to have the likes of him I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No I think he has the right to refuse. No one should be forced to enter a war zone if they don't want to.

There was a similar issue with footballers a few year ago (I think it was Chelsea but I'm not sure) who had to play a game in Israel and they were given the option of missing the trip which many did in the end.

Van Dam has the right to be selfish when it's his life that's on the line and let's not forget that there have been scares on these trips before that the wrestlers have spoken about. I recall Big Show and some others being requested to find cover when there was an attack.

If I was in his position I'd probably feel the same way. I too believe they are doing a great thing by going but they have no right to force unwilling wrestlers to go.

lets not forget also to a lesser extent that a pro wrestlers work week is equivalant to about 4 work weeks for us, the guys might just really want a break

lets not forget also to a lesser extent that a pro wrestlers work week is equivalant to about 4 work weeks for us, the guys might just really want a break
    especially at this time of the year

Advertisement