Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Sales

Options
  • 23-11-2006 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

October sales numbers (US presumably):

PS2: 235,042
    Xbox 360: 217,772
    Gamecube: 32,533
    Xbox: 3,549
    PSOne: 295

PS2 and 360 I can understand, but who the heck is buying Gamecubes, Xboxes and PSOnes? I was thinking of throwing my GC and XB onto adverts.ie, but didn't think I'd get any offers. Maybe I'd have more luck on buy and sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

gamecube is still a great system and well worth owning if you dont want to shell out for a wii just yet. plus its cheap.

not everyone has the money to buy a new system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

they only just stopped making the psone this year and the games are still for sale if you look hard enough but probably not in ireland. The gamecube was bigger in the states and japan than it was over here so it still has a base to sell too untill people move to the wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also, the GC console is about $80 new in the US, plus Zelda is also coming out on it next month so people are still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

A gamecube is considerably cheaper than a PS2, both systems got replaced last week by their backwards-compatible successors, and Gamecube has games at least as good as (many would consider better than*) PS2's best games.

Perhaps the question should be why are people still buying PS2s?

* - in the hopes of avoiding a debate about which has the better games (which is really a matter of personal opinion, and therefore undebatable), allow me to simply point you towards http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y which is a good indication of the top 10 games of all time. It includes two GameCube games and no PS2 games. Furthermore, two other games in the list (Ocarina of Time & Twilight Princess) are or will be playable on the GameCube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well thats generally because there hasn't been much worth buying on the Sony brand! If your like your sports sims and yearly updates of average games get an PlayStation. If you want proper gaming get an xbox or wii/gc...

Just looking at that list, god dam Soul Calibur was one hell of a game. I remember seeing ti for the first time. Took my breath away it was that beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

jaggeh wrote:
    gamecube is still a great system and well worth owning if you dont want to shell out for a wii just yet. plus its cheap.

not everyone has the money to buy a new system.
    I guess I'm just surprised that over 32,000 people walked into their local game shop last month and thought "I'm bored, I think I'll buy a 3-year old system with declining support and very little on the horizon". And according to what I'm seeing in my local Game, Gamestop, etc, while the back-catalogue of the GC is pretty impressive, there are absolutely no games available for sale. I assume things are slightly different in the megamalls of America, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ I find it much more amazing that over 235,000 people still bought the ps2
    i barely wanted one 4 years ago who in their right mind would choose it say over gamecube or x box
    november should be interesting though with the wii and ps3
    id bet the wii won because it had way more stock but id bet ds wasnt far behind only you didnt tell us the sales of the ds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nonsense. There's plenty of great games on the PS2 that are not 'sports sims and yearly updates of average games'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

IIRC, I saw those figures before, and the DS Lite was at the top of that list with over 300,000 sales.

Balfa, in fairness, the PS2 does have some classics (Katamari, Ico, SotC, etc). Guitar Hero is buckets of fun and Guitar Hero 2 is out this week (already out in the US). A lot of people (over here and in the UK anyway) like party games aswell like the Singstars and Buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

The original xbox is still a great buy. Very cheap and easily the most powerful of the last gen consoles. Great back catalogue as well as the best online system. Add in the modding potential and its a winner.

People are idiots though, they'll buy any old **** if its a market leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

koneko wrote:
    IIRC, I saw those figures before, and the DS Lite was at the top of that list with over 300,000 sales.
    Buzz.

Yeah 360,000 for that month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

iregk wrote:
    Well thats generally because there hasn't been much worth buying on the Sony brand! If your like your sports sims and yearly updates of average games get an PlayStation. If you want proper gaming get an xbox or wii/gc...

Just looking at that list, god dam Soul Calibur was one hell of a game. I remember seeing ti for the first time. Took my breath away it was that beautiful.

Fanboy much? :rolleyes:

Only proper gaming on the xbox and wii? What constitutes proper gaming in your blinkered eyes? The original xbox was limited by its narrow range of games with its over emphasis on the fps genre. As regards the wii, how do you know that its proper gaming without actually owning one and playing it for a while? I want a wii but I won't proclaim its virtues without actually owning one. Are Final Fantasy, MGS and DMC just average games?
    Balfa wrote:
    A gamecube is considerably cheaper than a PS2, both systems got replaced last week by their backwards-compatible successors, and Gamecube has games at least as good as (many would consider better than*) PS2's best games.

Perhaps the question should be why are people still buying PS2s?

* - in the hopes of avoiding a debate about which has the better games (which is really a matter of personal opinion, and therefore undebatable), allow me to simply point you towards http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...asp?rankings=y which is a good indication of the top 10 games of all time. It includes two GameCube games and no PS2 games. Furthermore, two other games in the list (Ocarina of Time & Twilight Princess) are or will be playable on the GameCube.

I'll agree with you that the best gc games are just as good as the best ps2 games but the ps2 has more good games. The ps2 has 13 in the top 50 while the gc has 3. Also, with Halo placed 9th and FFVII not even in the top 50, I'd hardly see that as a good indication of the top games of all time.

As regards why are people still buying the ps2, its quite simple, its because games will continue to be made for it for a good while longer, unlike the gc which has effectively been abandoned for quite a while now. As for the xbox, that format was pretty much dead the moment the 360 launched but at least the games can be picked up fairly cheaply now.

Advertisement