Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you bypass college blocking system on network?

Options
  • 23-11-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hey,

A freind of mine has a laptop that bypasses the college's blocking system, allowing him to asscess sites that he shouldn't on his laptop. He doesn't know how it does it and he didn't install any programs to do it either.

Since i have a laptop, i was wondering if i could do the same? and if so, how?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Yes, you can.

Ask your ICT unit all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ask your ICT unit all about it.

The thing is they don't want me to bypass the blocking system!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Benzino wrote:
    The thing is they don't want me to bypass the blocking system!

Really. Does that not tell you something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Try a firewall client?
    There's always googles cache as well. run an anonymizer or open it on top of one of those portal sites, that opens the page within another page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Benzino
    A freind of mine has a laptop that bypasses the college's blocking system, allowing him to asscess sites that he shouldn't on his laptop. He doesn't know how it does it and he didn't install any programs to do it either.

Check your friends, proxy setting on his browser, i.e IE, Mozzila, on the other hand, check to find out what route he is using to connect to the internet.

Is the laptop connected driectly into the LAN or is it on a wireless connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

get him to go to www.myipaddress.com, then paste the ip address into the Reverse DNS and IP Whois tools on www.dnsstuff.com

this'll give an indication of what proxy he is going through

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is the laptop connected driectly into the LAN or is it on a wireless connection?
    maybe he's working offline, browsing the cache :D

He connected to the network thru lan.

It was his sister's laptop, and so i can't view what setting it has now :(

As for them not wanting me to bypass their network, what's the point of have a top of the range laptop if ya can't even view youtube on it in college??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Benzino wrote:
    He connected to the network thru lan.

It was his sister's laptop, and so i can't view what setting it has now :(

As for them not wanting me to bypass their network, what's the point of have a top of the range laptop if ya can't even view youtube on it in college??

so you bought a top of the range laptop to browse the net? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What i do (not require a laptop), is to run Firefox off a memory key (or your personal storage on college network) and have a proxy configured in the settings. I have quit a reliable public transparent proxy at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is it worth getting kicked out over? I know waterskiiing squirrels are great and all that...

They don't want you to do it. When you login, do you have to enter a username / password to access the college network, or it it just the same login details for everyone?

Short answer is yes, it is possible. Most likely against the policy for usage for your institution. Does it mention in the policy what happens to people who attempt to circumvent it?

Well in all fernous my college block everything with websense. Even educational stuff and lectures complain so i'm happy to go against the policy for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bazolsen

Well in all fairness there is always something called "security policy" that most networks are governed by, and especially school networks need to be quite restrictive with all the "experimental browsing/downloading" going on amonst the attendees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Can you bypass college blocking system on network?

Yes. Simple. It can be done in two steps.

1) Get yourself some free PHP space and write a simple proxy where you pass a URL to the script and it passes the data back to you.

2) Keep your mouth shut about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Just try to live with it, man. It's not your personal connection so you can't do whatever you want on it. Bypassing it would be risky coz if they find out, they could ban you or take even more harsh measures against you. Abusing college resources for your personal enjoyment is fun and all until you get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Would www.mathtunnel.com do the job for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

:D thats even blocked on our proxy in college(carlow IT) most proxy's have been blocked in college mainly because people keep wanting to get on bebo.....If somebody finds a proxy its blocked within 15min...:D :D

Thanks for all the replies, i think it is best to just leave it, i agree with you all that trying to pass it is too risky, and it' not woth the risk. Thanks for your help.
    preilly79 wrote:
    so you bought a top of the range laptop to browse the net? :rolleyes:

YEAH, that's what i brought the laptop for, just to search the net:rolleyes: By the way, i'm been sarcastic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Benzino wrote:
    YEAH, that's what i brought the laptop for, just to search the net:rolleyes: By the way, i'm been sarcastic!!!

then use proper english that could be considered sarcasm. tool.

preilly79 wrote:
    then use proper english that could be considered sarcasm. tool.

:rolleyes: ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

tom_ass19 wrote:
    :D thats even blocked on our proxy in college(carlow IT) most proxy's have been blocked in college mainly because people keep wanting to get on bebo.....If somebody finds a proxy its blocked within 15min...:D :D

Fair dues to ur it department.

the best way round the proxy it to get ur own dsl line at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Benzino wrote:

To be fair, your original post didn't come across as sarcastic. I don't think you're a tool, just not great at using sarcasm.

/End of off-topic point of information

LK

Actually you the one being the tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Stop posting crap, the lot of yee. The OP is trying to bypass a security policy in place by the college authorities, this would be grounds for diciplining at the least.

Locking because of the sniping comments.

Gav

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement