Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Describe what you...

• 23-11-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

... would like a new series of Star Trek to look like?

So if you could start off a new series of star trek, when, where and how would it be set.

Heres mine:
    29th century. The federation is at war, they FINALLY are allowed to have cloaking devices, and personal shields for all... there enemy, don't know, NOT the borg. There is an alliance between the Romulans, Klingons and Humans, (possible cardasians?) and the show follows the training, relationships and eventual deployment of cadets from the academies of each race, until they eventually meet on the battle field or in the sky. Kinda along the lines of Starship Troopers and Space: Above and Beyond, but in the Star Trek universe. There will also be a subplot of corruption and infiltration in the federations along the lines of where DS9 was heading with the Dominion.
    There could also be room to follow the Maquis on skirmishes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

maquies no longer there is no reason for them to exist and also they are all dead
    the DMZ with cardassia near the badlands is now alliance occupied territory

Best idea is based just after the dominion war but it would be slightly more enjoyable if it was based on a klingon or romulan ship during a klingon or romulan civil war.

For those that like battles there will be many
    and for me and others who like story there will be a good storyline and lots more to kind out about the culture in question.

maybe the odd cameo from Federation people or encounters with FED ships

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

What about a series completely devoted to time-travel?? In Voyager they said that in the 29th century the federation was involved with correcting the time-line.

Also I don't think that a war with the Klingons, cardassians etc. would be that believable as it would have been 500 hundred years since the last "trek" and even by then they were all reasonably friendly.

As well as that I'm sure that the federation would have expanded further out beyond the Alpha quadrant - they would bound to be some new bad-guys in another galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

J. Michael Straczynski & Bryce Zabel wrote a treatment back in 2004 suggesting a complete re-boot of the universe(pdf), Battlestar-style.

Having read it, I'm not entirely convinced. I think the idea is a good one, Star Trek has become very rigid in what it can do, after so many years defining itself. Enterprise may have been an experiment with some parts of the cannon, but it suffered the same limitations in the end.

But this version sounds
    very Battlestar meets Stargate
    . If they were to do it I would prefer to see it done as a television series rather than the suggested movie reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd like to see them coming up with new plot devices. No more Pinnochio complexes (Data, Tuvok, T'Pol), no more sensors being able to detect everything and emmitters being able to emmit every particle ever, no more detacted key crew members (Worf, Seven).

The last few series' were just a rehashing of similar ideas. It's as pathetic as when the crew can't come up with a decent story line, and do a clip show.

i enjoyed all the star treks i didnt like Kes but that got solved for me, early odo season 1 and 2 wasent that great either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd like to see it left for a while, allow people (both fans and the creative team behind it) to relax a bit and think things through with a fresh and open mind, then come back with a Battlestar Galactica style reboot.

Stip away all the accumulated cannon and other ****e, get down to what Star Trek is actually about (or at least what it used to be about) and start again -- maybe with a new crew or maybe, just to drive home the fact that it's a reboot and not another continuation, with reimagined versions of people we know (ie. Kirk, Spock, et al.)

I'm not too sure that would be possible at this stage, it'll be hard to tell both fans and writers that 30+ years worth of Star Trek just doesn't count anymore (unlike BSG which only lasted a couple of years in it's original form), but I'm equally unsure that I could stomach another show that's forced to abide by everything that's gone before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Well aside from all the historical inaccuracies in my new series (tnx User45701 :p) I'd still like to see a series set in the academy. The episodes with Wesley and the flashbacks with Picard where excellent imo, i'd like to see a whole series developed around the various units and training the cadets undertake.

it depends i didn't like wesley but if they had good young actors with a little bit of SG1 style cheeze, BSG style seriousness, Startrek style always do the right thing it could work well

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

I agree that the basic "formula" (1 non-human in the crew, recycled storylines), etc is no longer viable. However, I wouldn't like to see the entire ST universe being thrown out. But for a series, I do think some of the rules need to be abolished.

Roddenberry had the rule that there could be no conflict between the human characters. I think at this stage all the sci-fi storylines that bypass this have been done over and over. I think DS9 was really well done from a dramatic angle at getting around this "rule". I can't understand how this wasn't a success due to it also having THE most spectacular space battles in Trek. I think the best chance ST has at the moment is to leave a good big break before the next series, and to hire some new creative people to give it a new spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The star treks after the original series became too bogged down in morality and ethics. The crews seemed to be more worried about breaking the bloody prime directive than kicking the cr4p out of the bad guys.
    Also way too many speeches about how humans are far more thoughtful and caring than other species.
    At least kirk used to eye up the ladies like a normal male would without looking up the federation rule book to make sure he wasn't doing anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

i think star trek will maintain the "holier than tho" attitude,

since most of its fans point at star trek and say they like it becuase it gives them an optimistic view of the future.
    plus imo quality sci fi is always based on current world view + future expectations (like a physcoterapist on bridge of TNG, so 80's), not combat, an entire series devoted to a single "war" situation aint gunna happen imo.

nor do i think they will drop the star trek cannon either, its too valuable to the franchise. just looking at how enterprise was recieved, it "broke" some rules and was slammed for it (which imo was overkill). the existing cannon helps the producers becuase they dont need to fill in so much of the back story, leaving more time for the good stuff.

it will be interesting to see how some of the fan created stuff is recieved, since some of those ideas is covered by fan produced stuff.

me i'll wait an see, not expecting anything and i will be suprised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

elurhs wrote:
    Roddenberry had the rule that there could be no conflict between the human characters.
    it was broken as early as Balance of terror, when the navaigators treatment of spock because he looked like the romulans betrayed the fact that humans weren't as developed as they'd like to think.

roddenberry did have one great rule though, no race or beings can be brought into the trek universe without us learning about them (i.e not just token baddies), it's how the klingon culture became so exposed to the fans.

Justice wrote:
    just looking at how enterprise was recieved, it "broke" some rules and was slammed for it (which imo was overkill).
    Yea, but Enterprise broke some of the rules, while still pretending to be a part of the same universe and timeline. That's just totally inconsistent. There was also no time between that series and the last to allow people time to reflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

please god they wont emulate stargate sg1 or battlestar in any new series of star trek. Have no fondness for either show. Making it into a militaristic gung ho style prog will just destroy the very essence of what star trek is about (and it was never about kicking alien ass). Elements they should keep to make a new series any good would be 1. the philosophical themes and 2. the utopianism, at least in terms of not allowing the federation to engage in torture/overly unethical tactics without reprecussions from within the ranks. A time travel focused series would be terrible if its going to be centered on earth history, in fact I cant really see how it would work and preserving continuity would be a nightmare, if they could pull it off then yes it might be good, but where could they go from there, that would really be the final frontier, I think it would result in them burning their bridges prematurely. What I think would be a good idea would be to get rid of the silly galactic barrier idea, set it say 80 years in the future, new advancements in warp tech allow the federation, along with most of the major alien races, to travel to distant galaxies, you could have major tensions between different inter galactic factions and empires. Something like that even, but nonetheless, I think they should leave it for another 20 years, there will be enough scientific developments in that time to make the show interesting again without resorting to substandard alien rip off species, namely species 8472. The borg would be impossible to conceive of in 1965, not so much in 1988. So give it another 20 years and the writers will have much more to play with in coming up with interesting alien species, science tends to lead one in more outlandish and terrifying directions than cliched notions of what constitutes outlandish and terrifying, cos then you just get a big monster with fangs. (Although I dont know where to categorize alien, it had a big monster with fangs but it was based I think on ichneuma fly, or a species of wasp, cant remember, which basically behaves in the same way, plus you had Giger who is a genius).

please god they wont emulate stargate sg1 or battlestar in any new series of star trek. Have no fondness for either show. Making it into a militaristic gung ho style prog will just destroy the very essence of what star trek is about (and it was never about kicking alien ass). Elements they should keep to make a new series any good would be 1. the philosophical themes and 2. the utopianism, at least in terms of not allowing the federation to engage in torture/overly unethical tactics without reprecussions from within the ranks. A time travel focused series would be terrible if its going to be centered on earth history, in fact I cant really see how it would work and preserving continuity would be a nightmare, if they could pull it off then yes it might be good, but where could they go from there, that would really be the final frontier, I think it would result in them burning their bridges prematurely. What I think would be a good idea would be to get rid of the silly galactic barrier idea, set it say 80 years in the future, new advancements in warp tech allow the federation, along with most of the major alien races, to travel to distant galaxies, you could have major tensions between different inter galactic factions and empires. Something like that even, but nonetheless, I think they should leave it for another 20 years, there will be enough scientific developments in that time to make the show interesting again without resorting to substandard alien rip off species, namely species 8472. The borg would be impossible to conceive of in 1965, not so much in 1988. So give it another 20 years and the writers will have much more to play with in coming up with interesting alien species, science tends to lead one in more outlandish and terrifying directions than cliched notions of what constitutes outlandish and terrifying, cos then you just get a big monster with fangs. (Although I dont know where to categorize alien, it had a big monster with fangs but it was based I think on ichneuma fly, or a species of wasp, cant remember, which basically behaves in the same way, plus you had Giger who is a genius).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Don’t know tbh i guess :

Fewer aliens of the week, less political correctness. no time travel nonsense . interesting crew member's that get some line's ever month or so :rolleyes: . maybe show the federation messing up or gasp! helping an allies / coming to the aid of a less developed race show us some basic functions of the federation im sure im not the only one that would like to see a starbase/ship being built or know just how the hell the federation is governed NO FRIGGING CADETS the crew had damn well better be 40 or so and not a bunch of girly boys something like kirk/sisko ftw......And a nice large starship.

that would do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah I like the idea of a future crew going out and exploring a totally different galaxy. It'll bring back that whole going somewhere for the 1st time thing...

Plus I'm very much against rebooting the thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Yeah I like the idea of a future crew going out and exploring a totally different galaxy. It'll bring back that whole going somewhere for the 1st time thing...

Plus I'm very much against rebooting the thing...

They could do it as 1 or a small fleet of very large ship's trying to carve out some federation space building starbase's shipyards colonys etc that would be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'd like it to be set a good bit after TNG. No reboots. No academy (FFS:rolleyes: ). Good writers, actors, directors.
    I mean Voyager could have been great given its basic premise if the people involved had been a bit (ok, a lot) more creative and not so chicken-sh!t.
    I also wouldn't mind giving Trek a rest for awhile.

Actually, I think it all depends on how this new film turns out, if it is well received it will probably lay the groundwork for any new TV series. And please, not the academy ...........

And please, not the academy ...........
    Isn't that exactly where the new film is set?

• Advertisement

Probably, but this article seems to throw some doubt on it. Who knows?

Also, I really meant please not the academy in any potential new TV series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

And please, not the academy ...........

Why not? Just think of the possibilities... there could be hazing rituals on mars, frat toga parties crashed by a bunch of nausicans :D Plus they could follow the training of cadets from various different cultures like the Klingons and the Romulans :p The only reason i'd like it is because of shows like Space:AAB, Starship Troopers and even the likes of war movies like full metal jacket where the it all begins where it would begin for the character... in training. Plus i'd like to have a series based closer to earth, deal with life on earth in the Star Trek universe, throw in a few government conspiracies, some alien spies and it would be a good show.

How about screw-up Space Cadet K'Bluto? He crushes batleths on his forehead and swills back buckets of bloodwine like there's no tomorrow? ;)

I think an Academy based TV series would be quite limiting, in the same way that the space station of DS9 was perceived as limiting and, personally, I'd rather have a series that focuses on a more grown-up activity like exploring strange new worlds etc. I wouldn't favour a war-based series either. Both options just seem too predictable to me. Obviously that's just my opinion.

Realistically, if any new series had good creative writers, directors, actors etc then it would probably transcend any limitations in the format, in the same way that BSG v2.0 did.

I agree with your last sentence, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I think the period just after DS9 would have made a great series, or at least an easy way to get a new series rolling. Cardasia is in ruins, how would the politics of occupation work? Romulus and earth are the only real powers left, how would they split the new duties ie the breen seemed to have been very focussed on Romulus/earth so there could be some conflict on how to deal with them.

There could be some extremists pushing to take the war into the gamma quadrant to finish things off there. We know the Dominion cannot be trusted, is it naive to stick with a treaty that depends so much on good faith? Maybe there are federation observers in the gamma quadrant to make sure nothing bad is going on. Perhaps Odo succeeds in his efforts to change the founders and a new relationship begins in which the dominion has a totally different outlook, ie Japan after WW2.

Apart from these political themes, which i think would be important to get new viewers, the crew should also explore philosophical and moral questions in a way similar to TNG. As for crew I'd like a moral captain along the lines of picard. Someone that demands respect simply by exuding integrity. A sisko like first officer would suit, please no more ricker characters... that guy just makes me imagine Gordon Gecko in space.

We know that by the 26th century the Klingons are members of the fed... it would make sense if some crises shook the empire in their weakened, post war state. It would be nice to see if the federation help them out in such a way that the klingons gradually fall under the federation umbrella.

Of course there would be new enemies too, I don't know what form these would take, but it would be nice to see conflict (not necessarily war) arising from relations with a power not totally unlike the feds where right and wrong is more difficult to make out. Given the nature of the federation I don't really know what form this new enemy would take but I'm sure they could think of something.

Id like to see a show where the federation are only one of the players, instead of having a federation centred series which was the case for all the series to date. And perhaps follow the adventures of one central character who meets people along the way who accompany him on whatever quest he/shes on. This quest would take place amidst some epic conflict between the major powers, federation, romulan and some new interesting (note interesting, meaning not some silly thing done to their heads to make them look alien) alien species.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    I think the period just after DS9 would have made a great series, or at least an easy way to get a new series rolling. Cardasia is in ruins, how would the politics of occupation work? Romulus and earth are the only real powers left, how would they split the new duties ie the breen seemed to have been very focussed on Romulus/earth so there could be some conflict on how to deal with them.

There could be some extremists pushing to take the war into the gamma quadrant to finish things off there. We know the Dominion cannot be trusted, is it naive to stick with a treaty that depends so much on good faith? Maybe there are federation observers in the gamma quadrant to make sure nothing bad is going on. Perhaps Odo succeeds in his efforts to change the founders and a new relationship begins in which the dominion has a totally different outlook, ie Japan after WW2.

Apart from these political themes, which i think would be important to get new viewers, the crew should also explore philosophical and moral questions in a way similar to TNG. As for crew I'd like a moral captain along the lines of picard. Someone that demands respect simply by exuding integrity. A sisko like first officer would suit, please no more ricker characters... that guy just makes me imagine Gordon Gecko in space.

We know that by the 26th century the Klingons are members of the fed... it would make sense if some crises shook the empire in their weakened, post war state. It would be nice to see if the federation help them out in such a way that the klingons gradually fall under the federation umbrella.

Of course there would be new enemies too, I don't know what form these would take, but it would be nice to see conflict (not necessarily war) arising from relations with a power not totally unlike the feds where right and wrong is more difficult to make out. Given the nature of the federation I don't really know what form this new enemy would take but I'm sure they could think of something.

Ye that sounds about right, i have always said based just after the dominion war,
    As for the new enemy why not just take a classic enemy like the borg or maybe another delta quadrant enemy or why not a new enemy because didn't voyager have like 18,000 light years left to go? more than enough room for a entirely new enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

User45701 wrote:
    Ye that sounds about right, i have always said based just after the dominion war,
    As for the new enemy why not just take a classic enemy like the borg or maybe another delta quadrant enemy or why not a new enemy because didn't voyager have like 18,000 light years left to go? more than enough room for a entirely new enemy

Sure there is plenty of room left in the galaxy to find new enemies. Classic enemy, I really liked the Dominion so could see how they go... with the breen, cardasians, klingons and romulans already in there I think it is packed full of classic enemies. To be honet I think Voyager has ruined the borg and they do nothing for me now... they are almost camp at this stage.

I'd like to see a new conflict arise with a state not unlike the federation, star trek has always held the feds so high above the rest morally and I know that is what star trek is about, the evolved humans etc and i dont think they should change that. It would be interesting to see a conflict arise when we arent actually sure if the federation is in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

bizmark wrote:
    They could do it as 1 or a small fleet of very large ship's trying to carve out some federation space building starbase's shipyards colonys etc that would be different.

I like this idea! Deffinately no time travel and ieally I'd like to see chief O'Brien and Worf in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'd love to see one set in the further future because they've got more elbow room. If you set a series before TNG/DS9/VOY then your really restricted as everything has to tie into that timeframe. If you go further into the future and have perhaps a joint base/multiple bases of Federation plus Romulans in a different galaxy. This way there not as isolated or lost as Voyager but still have to rely on themselves a la DS9. The political manoueverings between Romulans and The Federation could be good. I've always been a fan of the Romulans underused and the only time they were supposed to be bad guys in a film (Nemises) they fcuked it up and made up some half clone-half Reman d1ck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

... a regular Vulkan
    ... a klingon warrior
    ... a Star Trek Cadet

would be great!

Seriously: I always thought that the Cardassian homeplanet didn´t get a fair shot. There should be a Star Trek series that involves the future, a future in which the federation is no more but an underground movement of human slaves, who (have to) live on Cardassia are trying to free themselves and to revive the Federation or something.

Advertisement