Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Describe what you...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

... a regular Vulkan
    ... a klingon warrior
    ... a Star Trek Cadet

would be great!

Seriously: I always thought that the Cardassian homeplanet didn´t get a fair shot. There should be a Star Trek series that involves the future, a future in which the federation is no more but an underground movement of human slaves, who (have to) live on Cardassia are trying to free themselves and to revive the Federation or something.

Sounds allot like the fallen Terran empire to me (which would be a great series) "The Terran Rebels" time frame the defeat of the regent and they have there own infighting with different parties wanting to do different things some want to imprison the bajorans the klingons and cardassins and force them into slave labour again while others want to make peace and forgive and forget, the Terran rebels could maybe sign an alliance with the romulans?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think any series following on from the Dominion War would need to have fresh enemies; the existing enemies have all had their day and it is difficult to see a new series using them as lead antagonists. The Klingons, Cardassians, Dominion and Borg have all been worn out at this stage.

There is potential with the Federation expansion scenario, and setting the show roughly 10-15 years later would give writers enough time to develop a fresh dynamic. You could get interesting post-war storylines with the Federation and the Romulans quarrelling over how to run the peace, not unlike the situation following on from WWII. For me the Romulans are the only major Trek opponent left that has not been significantly explored.

I could see the Klingons and the Cardassians moving towards joining the Federation, while the Romulans would be more interested in extracting their pound of flesh from the Breen. It'd be nice if things hadn't turned out all rosey after the end of the war and remained very messy indeed. The Dominion would probably withdraw from galactic affairs like the Romulans in TNG and would appear occasionally as a sometime foe, sometime uneasy ally.

Get back to exploring (particular focus could be paid to new previously inaccessible territories beyond Cardassian and Klingon space), do some Federation building and gradually bring some new enemies into the fold, while rejuvenating and re-defining some old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Why would anyone want Star Trek to continue after Voyager, Enterprise, Insurrection and Nemesis?

The series has been absolute muck for a long long time, the new movie is probably the best route they could have ever taken besides making another TNG movie. A slight reboot to the series will be a great thing, they need to make trek accessible again to new fans without all the canon and history bogging things down.

Imo a battlestar style reboot would be excellent, sort of what DS9 tired to be but was limited due to Star Trek "Protocol".

Unless they do somethign drastically different, it would be best to let the series die, which it really should have after TNG (& TNG Films)

kevmy wrote: »
    I'd love to see one set in the further future because they've got more elbow room. If you set a series before TNG/DS9/VOY then your really restricted as everything has to tie into that timeframe. If you go further into the future and have perhaps a joint base/multiple bases of Federation plus Romulans in a different galaxy. This way there not as isolated or lost as Voyager but still have to rely on themselves a la DS9. The political manoueverings between Romulans and The Federation could be good. I've always been a fan of the Romulans underused and the only time they were supposed to be bad guys in a film (Nemises) they fcuked it up and made up some half clone-half Reman d1ck

Interesting idea, ive always wondered what happened to the breen after the war
    cognos wrote: »
    I like this idea! Deffinately no time travel and ieally I'd like to see chief O'Brien and Worf in there somewhere.

I like time travel some of the best episodes of trek have involed temperal episodes. O'brian ye he was good in TNG/DS9
    robby^5 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want Star Trek to continue after Voyager, Enterprise, Insurrection and Nemesis?

Because Star Trek is good to watch
    The series has been absolute muck for a long long time, the new movie is probably the best route they could have ever taken besides making another TNG movie. A slight reboot to the series will be a great thing, they need to make trek accessible again to new fans without all the canon and history bogging things down.

Imo a battlestar style reboot would be excellent, sort of what DS9 tired to be but was limited due to Star Trek "Protocol".

Unless they do somethign drastically different, it would be best to let the series die, which it really should have after TNG (& TNG Films)

No, i disagree, They should have a a movie that advances the current timeline to kinda get a feel for the future for how the fans want the story to go and for new things to happen. I know about this movie and i think it will be very much like BSG Razor. Its something that happened before now so you are watching things that have already happened, entertaining as they are with your knodledge you can be sure who wont die, also story advances and almost cataclasmic events ect, if there is no reference to them then you know they dont/wont happen.

Why would they have done that?

DS9 Tried something new and if you take a look at the poll it is almost as popular as TNG, ithink ds9 was the best. no other series came close to it because of the running story arc unlike TNG's badguy of the week.

VOY Again tried something new, voyager takes allot of flak but it did have some ****ing woefull episodes but there where a few in there that i really like. Voyager did have a few fantastic episodes.

ENT Allot like voyager, tried something new, took flak but ENT also had some fantastic episodes and i will sit through things i dont like in the hope of every now and again seing something amazing. I thought ENT and VOY where ok-great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

User45701 for president! Or at least for some kind of Star Trek writer position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

DS9 Tried something new and if you take a look at the poll it is almost as popular as TNG, ithink ds9 was the best. no other series came close to it because of the running story arc unlike TNG's badguy of the week.

I never said anything baout DS9 not being a good series. Its the series that tried to change the style of a Trek show drastically, but the show was still limited in what it could do, but if Trek had continued in DS9's tradition it would be very much different today. DS9 was the vietnam era of star trek and it was brilliant, but still there was some absolute **** too, the entire Emmisary arc was crap, and was more fantasy than anything.
    VOY Again tried something new, voyager takes allot of flak but it did have some ****ing woefull episodes but there where a few in there that i really like. Voyager did have a few fantastic episodes.

Voayger did **** all new, they had this great idea of the ship being stranded alone in the delta quadrant, a great premise for the show! And what did they do with that? nothing. Every week it was same old same old, Janeway makes a detour to some planet to make contact and "explore". Each week the ship looked brand new again even after huge battles, and everyones already gotten over the latest 'red shirt' who was killed on tha last away mission. They had no problems whatsoever with supplies, and if they did there would be conviniently be a trading station or planet nearby to help them out. Its like every week they just pressed a rest button and the previous weeks events were forgotten.
    ENT Allot like voyager, tried something new, took flak but ENT also had some fantastic episodes and i will sit through things i dont like in the hope of every now and again seing something amazing. I thought ENT and VOY where ok-great

Enterpise, are you ****ting me? Only the final series was good because they managed to do some great writing for once, but other than that it was the same tired rehashed idea except set in the past. Not to mention some of the worst acting in a trek series yet, it all felt so forced.

I thaught a brilliant way to move the series further would eb to explore the Cold War that would inevitably ensue after the Dominion War (this was touched upon in Nemisis) but they decided to say goodbye to the future and visit the past for some reason :/

I was not kidding about ENT. There was an episode in season 2, episode 5 maybe, it was after the romulan mindfield and they found a automated repair and service station. I also liked twilight and anzati prime. a good few episodes at the end of season 3 where good and like you said 4 had some great episodes. I was also a fan of the temeral cold war but not at the start of season 4 what a way to **** it all up. I thought the temperal cold war was going to turn out to be an amazingly well written way of altering star trek history allowing for incontunituitys in new shows/movies

Voayger did **** all new, they had this great idea of the ship being stranded alone in the delta quadrant, a great premise for the show! And what did they do with that? nothing. Every week it was same old same old, Janeway makes a detour to some planet to make contact and "explore". Each week the ship looked brand new again even after huge battles, and everyones already gotten over the latest 'red shirt' who was killed on tha last away mission. They had no problems whatsoever with supplies, and if they did there would be conviniently be a trading station or planet nearby to help them out. Its like every week they just pressed a rest button and the previous weeks events were forgotten.
    Indeed, I always thought it was a shame about that premise being so badly wasted on Voyager. Still, Ronald D. Moore is showing how to utilise it properly now with BSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Indeed, I always thought it was a shame about that premise being so badly wasted on Voyager. Still, Ronald D. Moore is showing how to utilise it properly now with BSG.

Thats one of the reasons Ron Moore left the Voyager writing staff. He only stayed bout half a season because he felt like they were making a mess of the premise.

Personally I think if they are thinking of doing a new ST series in the future they should try and get Moore to do it. There is plenty of scope in ST left for further exploration and new ideas without rebooting it. BSG had a couple of seasons in the early 80's and was not a massive hit. It's easy enough to reboot that.

ST has 11 films (or will soon) and 4 full series behind it. Thats very hard to reboot without confusing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

kevmy wrote: »
    ST has 11 films (or will soon) and 4 full series behind it.
    Five series. Plus an animated one.

...or are you not counting Enterprise as a full series? To be fair, it had a longer run than TOS, which only went three seasons.

Putting Ron Moore in charge of a Trek series would be fantastic. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does after BSG anyway.. whatever that may be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Goodshape wrote: »
    Five series. Plus an animated one.

...or are you not counting Enterprise as a full series? To be fair, it had a longer run than TOS, which only went three seasons.

Putting Ron Moore in charge of a Trek series would be fantastic. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does after BSG anyway.. whatever that may be.

Your right of course. A typo I didn't spot. I've never seen the animated one so I didn't count that (also not sure of it's canon value)

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Yeah I like the idea of a future crew going out and exploring a totally different galaxy. It'll bring back that whole going somewhere for the 1st time thing...
    They reckon there are between 200 and 400 billion stars in the Milky Way, is that not enough?

Wel lthe thing is the kinda overdone it, the have mapped the alpha/beta quandrents pretty much..., the delta quadrent still neeeds to be mapped and i doubt the federation are allowed though the wormhole, because they where the agressors in the dominion war. So it would have to be either delta quadrent or else the other side of the romulan empire, there would be enough room between the far right border of the empire and the edge of the milkeyway, i think they would fit another empire in there if they wanted or atleast a hundred or so minor races.

i dont want it to go too futurey because i want to know what happened to Gareck, Cardassia, Breen?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Ok I'll throw in my euro worth...

TNG : First series I watched really and loved it. Picard was great as was worf. Riker has the potential to be great if he had been used in a Sisko type agressive way. Geordi I thought was good. The rest i wasnt too bothered about except Barclay.

DS9: Looking back the first few seasons were dirt, but once the dominion came in and there was the Klingon attack on DS9 things got a hell of a lot better. some really great episodes including Siege of Ar558 (i think). Though at the end i would have liked to see the battle where they took on the massive gun platforms surrounding cardassia.

voyager: A few good episodes especially the ep with Ransom.

Enterprise: Really really liked it, mainly because if humand of today were to go into space we'd be a lot closer to doing what archer did than picard or janeway (boo, terrible choice for captain!)

For the next series, as said above setting it after the end of the dominion war would be interesting, as the klingon empire is the weakest of the 3 allies, cardassia is in pieces and you can never trust the romulans! It could also be a good angle to play the breen as being unhappy with the peace and becoming more agressive. Also depending on the terms of the surrender what happens in the Gamma quadrant do the dominion just go on there as normal?

Maybe the series could be set there and see the dominion coming under pressure from another galactic power or show them getting ready to go on the offensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CidonaBoy

Biggest problem right now in Star Trek is the last ending of Voyager and Nemesis.

Anything after nemesis would fail. I mean, even Borg are easy to fight now, the federation has a bunch of new technology as seen in voyagers last episode, no real challenges can be presented to the deferation.

I reckon somewhere between kirk and picard, would have loved to see something about Sulu and the excelsior...

Meh, I reckon the franchise has been driven into the ground, don't see any hope of recovery, I mean they couldn't even get the concept voyager had to work. :(

User45701 wrote: »
    Wel lthe thing is the kinda overdone it, the have mapped the alpha/beta quandrents pretty much...,
    Says who?
    i doubt the federation are allowed though the wormhole, because they where the agressors in the dominion war.
    No they weren't. The Dominion can claim on a 'technicality' that they were, but everyone knows that the Dominion were the aggressors, including the Dominion. Hence the Female Founder agreeing to stand trial for war crimes.
    So it would have to be either delta quadrent or else the other side of the romulan empire, there would be enough room between the far right border of the empire and the edge of the milkeyway, i think they would fit another empire in there if they wanted or atleast a hundred or so minor races.
    Beta quadrant? Barely gets a mention.

Having thought about it more, my suggestion for a new series would be along the lines of this:

Background:

It's 2388, 13 years after the war. The Bajorans have joined the Federation and are a major influence in the Federation, largely due to the wormhole. Colonies have been re-established in the Gamma quadrant, and Starfleet is actively exploring it once again (I'd envisage Voyager being sent there on a long term mission). The Dominion have withdrawn within themselves in a similar fashion to the Romulans in TNG, and a neutral zone has been established with them.

The Cardassians are about to join the Federation. Their military has been disbanded, and a joint Federation/Klingon taskforce protects their territory - at least, the territory that the Federation and Klingons gave back to the new civilian government - the Romulans have refused to give up the territories they captured during the war. War guilt and anger towards the old military-focused ways dominates the Cardassian mindset.

The relationship with the Romulans remains cagey. The war alliance and the Shinzon incident helped create a thaw in relations, but post war disputes over Cardassia and the Federation's opposition to an invasion of Breen have limited the effect. The neutral zone has been abolished. The Romulans remain a major power, having expanded into Cardassian and Breen territory, and having taken Breen and Dominion technology (which became available as the Jem'Hadar were hurriedly expelled to the Gamma quadrant before they could dismantle their bases). They remain in an on/off state of conflict with the Breen.

The Klingons have recovered fully thanks largely in part due to help from the Federation, who gave them aide in exchange for territories being returned to Cardassia. With Martok still Chancellor, they are closer than ever to the Federation. They share defensive duties with the Federation, operate frequent crew exchanges, share intelligence, and play an important role in affairs in the Alpha quadrant.

The Breen are isolated from galactic affairs by the Romulans.

Setting the scene:

Starfleet has just finished work on their first fully operational transwarp vessel, the new USS Excelsior. The successful deployment of transwarp technology will open up new areas of the galaxy to exploration.

The new enemy:

Expanding the idea of the Kelvans from TOS, the new enemy is a race that was forced to leave their home galaxy (Andromeda or another, it doesn't really matter). I figure they use a kind of transporter-stasis that enables them to store vast numbers of their people in relatively small spaces. Significantly, they were the only race in their galaxy, so in terms of population, we're talking trillions. There simply won't be room for them in the Milky Way. Additionally, as being unfamiliar with the idea of there being different races with different governments, they see all Milky Way races as the same, so if one is at war with them, they all are.

The first ships that arrive are advanced scouts, whose task is to check out the area, and prepare the planets for the arrival of the motherships that contain the bulk of their population. The first scout arrives at a Romulan outpost that has been captured by the Breen. They are unable to communicate with eachother, and the Breen, believing they are hostile, attack, which effectively triggers a war between galaxies.

Bring in the series, whereby more scouts gradually appear all over the galaxy, often causing huge damage, attempting to build beach-heads in the Milky Way. The Federation begins to figure out where the advanced scouts will arrive, and sends out the Excelsior into deep space to gather intel and warn the species near the arrival points.

Later on things get more serious as the alien heavies start to arrive to make room and the motherships get closer.

There'd be elements of TNG (exploration, preparing for the Borg threat), Voyager (Excelsior ALONE in deep space, attempting to negotiate local alliances), Deep Space Nine (long term arcs, war) and Enterprise (the Excelsior being the Federation's only ship in a lot of situations).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That all sounds brilliant, Pepe.

Says who?

While there has been very little cannon of showing a galactica map we know that earch is right on the alpha/beta quadrent border with (imagine a birds eye view) with the romulan empire to the right and the klingon empire above So any space under the control of the klingon empire/romulan star empire would be considered mapped (later in my last post i mentioned maybe another race could exist on the other side of the romulan empire) Also the alpha quadrent has been though allot with the war and with the location of bajor being quite a distance from earth and the fall of the cardassion union. The alpha quadrent has been almost competly mapped bar some unvisited systems but no hope of a empire/advanced race being discovered in the alpha quadrent. So out of the Alpha/Beta Quadrents there is only 2/3 area's not explored. The streach of border with the gamma/Delta quadrents, Breen space, The space on the other side of the romulan empire, i would consider this "almost completely" mapped
    No they weren't. The Dominion can claim on a 'technicality' that they were, but everyone knows that the Dominion were the aggressors, including the Dominion. Hence the Female Founder agreeing to stand trial for war crimes.

Not really your talking about the actual outbreak of war. I mean the federation where the aggressors as in they just went straight into the gamma quadrant, upset established dominion trade routes (interference with the Karama and other races, They also established colonys on the dominions side of the wormhole, all aggressive posturing if you ask me)

Background:

It's 2388, 13 years after the war. The Bajorans have joined the Federation and are a major influence in the Federation, largely due to the wormhole. Colonies have been re-established in the Gamma quadrant, and Starfleet is actively exploring it once again (I'd envisage Voyager being sent there on a long term mission). The Dominion have withdrawn within themselves in a similar fashion to the Romulans in TNG, and a neutral zone has been established with them.

The Cardassians are about to join the Federation. Their military has been disbanded, and a joint Federation/Klingon taskforce protects their territory - at least, the territory that the Federation and Klingons gave back to the new civilian government - the Romulans have refused to give up the territories they captured during the war. War guilt and anger towards the old military-focused ways dominates the Cardassian mindset.

The relationship with the Romulans remains cagey. The war alliance and the Shinzon incident helped create a thaw in relations, but post war disputes over Cardassia and the Federation's opposition to an invasion of Breen have limited the effect. The neutral zone has been abolished. The Romulans remain a major power, having expanded into Cardassian and Breen territory, and having taken Breen and Dominion technology (which became available as the Jem'Hadar were hurriedly expelled to the Gamma quadrant before they could dismantle their bases). They remain in an on/off state of conflict with the Breen.

The Klingons have recovered fully thanks largely in part due to help from the Federation, who gave them aide in exchange for territories being returned to Cardassia. With Martok still Chancellor, they are closer than ever to the Federation. They share defensive duties with the Federation, operate frequent crew exchanges, share intelligence, and play an important role in affairs in the Alpha quadrant.

The Breen are isolated from galactic affairs by the Romulans.

Setting the scene:

Starfleet has just finished work on their first fully operational transwarp vessel, the new USS Excelsior. The successful deployment of transwarp technology will open up new areas of the galaxy to exploration.

The new enemy:

Expanding the idea of the Kelvans from TOS, the new enemy is a race that was forced to leave their home galaxy (Andromeda or another, it doesn't really matter). I figure they use a kind of transporter-stasis that enables them to store vast numbers of their people in relatively small spaces. Significantly, they were the only race in their galaxy, so in terms of population, we're talking trillions. There simply won't be room for them in the Milky Way. Additionally, as being unfamiliar with the idea of there being different races with different governments, they see all Milky Way races as the same, so if one is at war with them, they all are.

The first ships that arrive are advanced scouts, whose task is to check out the area, and prepare the planets for the arrival of the motherships that contain the bulk of their population. The first scout arrives at a Romulan outpost that has been captured by the Breen. They are unable to communicate with eachother, and the Breen, believing they are hostile, attack, which effectively triggers a war between galaxies.

Bring in the series, whereby more scouts gradually appear all over the galaxy, often causing huge damage, attempting to build beach-heads in the Milky Way. The Federation begins to figure out where the advanced scouts will arrive, and sends out the Excelsior into deep space to gather intel and warn the species near the arrival points.

Later on things get more serious as the alien heavies start to arrive to make room and the motherships get closer.

There'd be elements of TNG (exploration, preparing for the Borg threat), Voyager (Excelsior ALONE in deep space, attempting to negotiate local alliances), Deep Space Nine (long term arcs, war) and Enterprise (the Excelsior being the Federation's only ship in a lot of situations).

All well thought out, i mentioned the Breen/romualan idea before and it is established cannon that they dont along.
    Romulan saying: "Never turn your back on a breen"

I don't know if i like the idea of bringing another galaxy into it yet, i like the idea of keeping things local for the next series, no need to jump that far ahead. Its been discussed to death but i still like the idea of a series allot like the outer limited, each episode is about a different race in a different sector of the galaxy with a overall major story arc they could deal with every 5 or 6 episodes, each "main" episode could be the advancement of the general plot but from the eyes of a different galactic power, the episodes in between can be anything you want, base don a klingon ship, based about a war between 2 noname races in the delta quadrent, just good stories.

If not that then just stick with the galaxy as is. Also dont forget, its (sadley) has been established that the Federation is still around in the 31st century so any risk element or loss cant be that huge if you know what i mean. Thats why they can focus on other races/other stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Yeah I like the idea of a future crew going out and exploring a totally different galaxy. It'll bring back that whole going somewhere for the 1st time thing...

Haven't you just described Voyager there...?

No Voyager was started before the dominion war so it wasent really a future crew. Also i think they advanced too much from TOS-Nemessis.

I honnestly think the best thing they can do with trek to "test the water" would be to release a new episode, set in a different time/crew/species every week. Like outer limits each episode could be different. Do a short season, cheap because your not paying actors for whole seasons also not amazing sfx.

This would let them get a feel for what the fans want.

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote: »
    No Voyager was started before the dominion war so it wasent really a future crew. Also i think they advanced too much from TOS-Nemessis.

I honnestly think the best thing they can do with trek to "test the water" would be to release a new episode, set in a different time/crew/species every week. Like outer limits each episode could be different. Do a short season, cheap because your not paying actors for whole seasons also not amazing sfx.

This would let them get a feel for what the fans want.
    That wouldn't work at all in my opinion - sounds like a recipe for another Sliders.

Self contained one-off episode based series are a thing of the past and it is partly due to Star Trek's refusal to leave this form of TV behind that has led to its stagnation. The above would also be impractical to do 'cheap' because a different location every week would mean a different set every week. Also, generally when something is done cheap, it looks cheap, and the viewer won't be interested.

In order to be a success a new Trek series needs a well defined plan of where it is going from the very start, with each episode increminently moving the story along from A to B to C and so on. It needs strong direction, it needs to take risks, treat the audience as intelligent adults and it needs, well, to be darker. Star Trek's happy-happy vision of the future was well suited to TV audiences of the cold-war 60s and the recessive 80s but it doesn't fly anymore.

Look at the successful shows these days, and see what they do.

I Do agree, but perhaps a mini season then? say 6 episodes then? because yes your right they do need a definaed story and direction but what to do it about? 1. They should get ronald D moore to do it because BSG amazing and voyager if he didn't leave would have been just as fantastic.

If they got him to do the new trek it would be darker and it would also have a good story and great writing. The reason i want a season or mini season (or actually a season of pilots! )is to "toy" with ideas then throw a poll up on www.startrek.com and see what idea is the most popular. Then get to work on a new show based on that idea/timeline.

As you can see from this thread there are allot of different ideas and the "trekie" (if you spell check trekie in )community would be very pleased if they where given a choice in star trek's future.
    Also not to mention they money they would make off merchandising from the pilots because there would be fans who loved a pilot but it might not have made it. Still trek merchandising brings in allot of moola.

I just think its good business to give your customers more choice

Advertisement